PDA

View Full Version : Help with a problem

Brennan
02-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I got homework for math, and I need help guys, any help would be appreciated :)

Five friends took a cooking class together. For their first project, each decided to bake a pie from sctratch for their mother. Fortunately, the pies came out fabulous, and each mother was most impressed with her daughter's new skill. The pies were presented as a surprise after dinner that night, and served with their mother's choice of drink. Determine the full name of each daughter, what kind of pie they made, and what drink was served with each pie.

1. Ms. Madison served her pie without coffee. The blueberry pie was served with milk.

2. Melony didn't make an apple pie, but she did serve her pie with wine.

3. Ruth Gardner didn't serve a cherry pie. Ms. Beech didn't serve cider.

4.The five pies were the peach pie, the pie make by Edith, the pie served with milk, the pie that Sherry made, and the pie made by the daughter whose last name was Zwicker.

5. Sherry, whose last name wasn't Madison, made the raspberry pie.

6. Ms. Sanderson served a peach pie, but not with wine. Geraldine didn't serve tea.

------

The list of names, pies, and drinks go:

First Names:
Ruth, Sherry, Edith, Melony, and Geraldine

Last Names:
Madison, Zwicker, Gardner, Sanderson, and Beech

Pies:
Apple, Cherry, Raspberry, Peach, and Blueberry

Drinks:
Tea, Coffee, Wine, Milk, and Cider

Levian
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
ooh I love these things. They actually gave you this for homework? I'd kiss my teacher's armpit if the homework they gave me was this fun.

Use this link to help you: Logic Problems - A Pie for Mom (http://www.puzzles.com/projects/LogicProblems/PieForMom.htm)

much easier to do it when you've got grids to help you. Looks like your teacher found this online. :D If all else fails, there's also a solution there.

Brennan
02-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Thanks, Levian, I really hate these kind of problems for homework, so you just made my life a LOT easier for the moment

eestlinc
02-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Grids are definitely the way to go. it's like doing a Sudoku, but using the clues instead of numbers.