PDA

View Full Version : Would you watch DBZ if it were 191 episodes shorter?

JKTrix
02-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Dragon Ball Z to Rerun on Japanese TV in HD in April - Anime News Network (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-06/dragon-ball-z-to-rerun-on-japanese-tv-in-hd-in-april)
Daizenshuu EX - Updated 02/06/2009 -- ["Refreshed" DBZ TV Airing In Japan!] (http://daizex.com) (Feb. 6th News Entry)

I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out. The 100 episodes thing is just a rumour right now (which I guess is why ANN doesn't mention it), but if it turns out to be true that would be the most interesting part. Cutting 191 episodes does seem kind of extreme, but there are two things that made it 'okay' in my mind:
1: Obviously, trimming fillers and the staring contests/powerup sequences the series is infamous for
2: The cast is freaking old. 'Tienshinhan' is already dead, and 'Goku' is 72 years old. Doing the full 291 just increases the chances of more people kicking it.

What I would really want is for them to completely reanimate it but taking into consideration the Age thing again, that would take even more time. So this'll do. There is a surprising amount of anime fans who have never seen Dragon Ball Z, so I hope this 'refresh' is good enough to catch their attention and give 'em a bit of history. When I was skimming through my Cell Games DVDs, I was impressed at how some of those episodes could still hold up to similar shows today.

Aside: the date this is starting--April 5th--is also Toriyama's birthday.

Momiji
02-08-2009, 03:55 AM
I never really watched it when I was a kid, 'cause I was really into Pokémon back then. I may give it a chance. :D

Jessweeee♪
02-08-2009, 03:58 AM
YAAAY :</>D

I only ever saw the English version, except for like, two episodes during the Buu arc. (I noticed that Gotenks likes to say "damn" like, waaaaay too much in those two. But they're like, eleven or something like that, so I guess that's normal xD)

I can't wait to see how this turns out o:

...but Fat Buu was kinda cool, though. That's the only problem I'd have with the 100 episode thing :(

DK
02-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Gotta be honest, I wouldn't watch this unless it was dubbed. I know most people think it is a heinous crime to watch dubbed anime but the Japanese voices for DBZ suck so much ass it's almost beyond belief. I remember after I was aware to the whole sub/dub debate finding a clip of Vegeta doing his Final Flash on Cell in Japanese to see what he sounded like and being shocked at how shiet it was. I mean, I get a kick out of the dub of DBZ because it is generally shiet and the English voice acting is so awful it's good, the same way old school Kung Fu films are just more entertaining with shocking dubs. That and the big explosions. So yeah I'll be waiting until I get pure cheese or not at all.

theundeadhero
02-08-2009, 10:27 AM
I would not. I'm currently enjoying all the seasons slowly coming out on DVD in high definition and watching them in marathon mode.

Slothy
02-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I would not. I'm currently enjoying all the seasons slowly coming out on DVD in high definition and watching them in marathon mode.

You and me both. Ah the memories.

Alex151
02-20-2009, 03:00 AM
My main beef with DBZ was that it took 27 episodes for goku to power up the spirit bomb, only to find out that it didn't even kill frieza, you'd wait all day to see something new and the same thing would happen for a week or two. Another beef was that right after they finally defeated Frieza, Cartoon network though it'd be coll to play the same season over....... like 5 times, and the same with all the other seasons. It's not that I'd like it more with less episodes, it's that they could have done more with them.

GameMasta
02-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Naaaah, I find the whole concept of Dragonball completely ridiculous, even for an anime. I mean sheesh, uber powerful beams that blow up planets? orbs that bring people back to life (and can be used more than once). Baaahhh!!!

trancekuja
02-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Hehe , Dragon Ball is great! The only thing I didn't get is the Spirit Bomb attack...I mean , how the hell can no one dodge it!? It moves slower than my grandma , for crying out loud!

XxSephirothxX
02-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Gotta be honest, I wouldn't watch this unless it was dubbed. I know most people think it is a heinous crime to watch dubbed anime but the Japanese voices for DBZ suck so much ass it's almost beyond belief. I remember after I was aware to the whole sub/dub debate finding a clip of Vegeta doing his Final Flash on Cell in Japanese to see what he sounded like and being shocked at how shiet it was. I mean, I get a kick out of the dub of DBZ because it is generally shiet and the English voice acting is so awful it's good, the same way old school Kung Fu films are just more entertaining with shocking dubs. That and the big explosions. So yeah I'll be waiting until I get pure cheese or not at all.
This is where I got the enjoyment out of DBZ, myself. But I am a little curious if cutting all the filler and watching it with a new Japanese audio track would turn into an honest-to-god good show and not something that's entertaining for its absurdity.

The Man
02-20-2009, 04:43 AM
In before it's over 9000.