PDA

View Full Version : Imperial vs. Metric

Yar
02-08-2009, 02:18 PM
There haven't been enough x versus y threads lately. Someone needs to get on fixing that. :p

Which do you prefer? :) I know metric is "superior and based on ten blah blah" but cba to switch. I don't find a realistic reason to switch, unless I was a scientist. If you don't know that there are 31744 liquid drams in a beer barrel, well then that's your problem. :mad2:

Levian
02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
I like the metric system more because 173 cm sounds taller than 5'8''

blackmage_nuke
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I stretch my arms to the appropriate size and say "This much!!"

NeoTifa
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Lol. When cooking, I use the third option. "Hmmm, a pinch here, a handful there..." But seeing as how I'm American,...

Aerith's Knight
02-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Anyone who doesn't use metric is crazy.

The US is actually the last place on earth where they use imperial measurements. That isn't helping technology progress, you know? Making gaps in communication, you should be ashamed! xD

NeoTifa
02-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Americans do what they want, because we're Americans. And it's not football, it's SOCCER!!!!!

Captain Maxx Power
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Metric all the way. Imperial measurements are nonsensical and difficult to calculate with.

Sergeant Hartman
02-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Do you know why they call it a royale with cheese?

Lawr
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
I'd like to see a switch to the Metric system in America. We use Metric when we do science and stuff, but everything else is the retarded '5,280 feet lolololz.'

NeoTifa
02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Lol. 12"= size of [censored]

Psychotic
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Imperial for miles, height of humans and weight of humans. Oh and as NeoTifa says, size of dongs.

Other than that, metric all the way to the bank.

Aerith's Knight
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
The only not retarded thing in imperial is the speed of light when expressed as: "A foot per nanosecond", as is used often in Nanoscale technology.

Although I question how accurate that even is, although I'm far too lazy to check.

Awrini
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Metric wins, just because it is so NOT confusing.

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I think instead of america switching to metric the rest of the world should justs switch to emperial. that would be far easier.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Imperial for human height and weight and household things.

Mixture of Metric and Imperial for cooking/baking.

Metric for all else.

Tavrobel
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I think instead of america switching to metric the rest of the world should justs switch to emperial. that would be far easier.

Even though the States have already begun switching to Metric, and have slowly done so since the 70s?

Although I question how accurate that even is, although I'm far too lazy to check.

It is accurate. It's not that the units of the Imperial system are any less accurate, they're just more annoying. Besides, there's some other not retarded things in the Imperial, like lb<sub>m</sub> == lb<sub>f</sub>.

rubah
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
hehehee, pound mass and pound foot 8)

The thing that annoys me the most about metric is that it's completely incompatible with other number systems. All those easy conversions go right out the window when you stop working with base-10.

The thing that annoys me secondmost is how conceited everyone that uses metric seems to be.

Meat Puppet
02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I don’t see anything wrong with the metric system. Sometimes you just gotta change, you know. It’s kind of weird sometimes. The same people who furiously defend the Imperial system are the same people who don’t let me wear the same pair of jeans for days on end.

I mean I edit, it ain’t perfect but you know, it’s pretty cool.

Momiji
02-08-2009, 06:39 PM
There haven't been enough x versus y threads lately.

That's not a bad thing.

Hmmmm... one country getting up to date or all others taking a step backward. Yep, much, much easier. >_>

I wouldn't mind switching.

Jessweeee♪
02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Well living in the US, I use the English system S:

I mean, when someone tells me something weighs xkg, I'm like, WTF I don't understand the significance of that. How heavy is that in pounds?

Aerith's Knight
02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Well living in the US, I use the English system S:

I mean, when someone tells me something weighs xkg, I'm like, WTF I don't understand the significance of that. How heavy is that in pounds?

Actually, the english system is different from Imperial.

It has things like btu and stuff.

I think they even defined something as the time is takes for a puddle of 1 cm deep to warm up or something.

Screwed up, anyway. That would be the third more screwed up one.

sdm42393
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
And it's not football, it's SOCCER!!!!!

Boo!

Captain Maxx Power
02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
The thing that annoys me the most about metric is that it's completely incompatible with other number systems. All those easy conversions go right out the window when you stop working with base-10.

This is a pretty moot point to make since you can't have any measurement system that's compatible with ALL number systems unless you create some kind of weird multi-dimensional, baseless system. Besides which Base-10 is easy to work with, is accepted by all sensible mathematicians when doing calculations, and is a heck of a lot easier and streamlined than Imperial's Base-Stupid.

rubah
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
It's not that easy to work with, we've just been immersed in it all our lives so why change.

Same thing goes for imperial, actually!

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
one thing i dont like about metric is it skips from teeny tiny cenimeters to great big 3+ft meters shouldent there be somthing in there i mean WTF!! america is pretty much the king of all the world anyways ;)

rubah
02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
*sighs*

Darkswordofchaos, decimeters would like to say something.
"hai2u"

Psychotic
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
The thing that annoys me secondmost is how conceited everyone that uses metric seems to be.That hasn't stopped you using Firefox or Macs. :monster:

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 08:43 PM
*sighs*

Darkswordofchaos, decimeters would like to say something.
"hai2u"

What the hell is a decimeter why have i never heard of it?(prolly cause its from non america)

Momiji
02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
It would be advisable to do some research BEFORE pretending to know what you're talking about.

A decimeter is 10 centimeters, or one-tenth of a meter. I was taught to compare it to the length of a cassette tape.

rubah
02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
if you arrange them in a cube, then that's a liter, as well.

Momiji
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I wonder how many people would want a liter of cassette tapes...

Croyles
02-08-2009, 11:37 PM
hehehee, pound mass and pound foot 8)

The thing that annoys me secondmost is how conceited everyone that uses metric seems to be.

What a wonderfully conceited post :)

Denmark
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Because we use a decimal (base 10) number system, it would follow that we should use a uniform, base 10 unit system. Everything in metric is in base 10 (except time). Imperial units? You've got units that aren't uniform at all over the whole scope of different units.

In metric, the numbers are nicer, which makes for faster calculations. Increasing speed of calculation increases efficiency and decreases cost.

tl;<x>dr engineers use metric because it's better.

Moon Rabbits
02-09-2009, 01:25 AM
I can only do math and physics problems in metric units. I like to bake using imperial units - I also like to express my height and weight in imperial units.

I measure pot in a mixture of both metric and imperial :D

Overall I prefer metric.

Yar
02-09-2009, 02:42 AM
I wonder how many people would want a liter of cassette tapes...That Will it Blend guy might like video-cassette milkshakes thnxuvrymuch. ;)

Madame Adequate
02-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Metric for science.

Imperial for day-to-day.

I'm sorry but using cm to measure height and kilograms to measure weight is the height of European.

blackmage_nuke
02-09-2009, 04:09 AM
one thing i dont like about metric is it skips from teeny tiny cenimeters to great big 3+ft meters shouldent there be somthing in there i mean WTF!! america is pretty much the king of all the world anyways ;) Does working with 3 digits really put such a strain on your brain cells? And you forget China

The thing that annoys me secondmost is how conceited everyone that uses metric seems to be.That hasn't stopped you using Firefox or Macs. :monster:I rofl with agreement

if you arrange them in a cube, then that's a liter, as well.And if you made the cube out of water it would have a 1kg mass

rubah
02-09-2009, 04:32 AM
And if you heated it up with 1 kilojoule of heat, it would gain one degree kelvin.

(of course the same is true for one pound of water with 1 Btu for one degree rankine)

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-09-2009, 04:48 AM
one thing i dont like about metric is it skips from teeny tiny cenimeters to great big 3+ft meters shouldent there be somthing in there i mean WTF!! america is pretty much the king of all the world anyways ;)

lol, there is units in between though they are rarely used. There are a a 100 cm in a 1m and a 10 dm (decimetres) in 1m. :D

Denmark
02-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Metric for science.

Imperial for day-to-day.

I'm sorry but using cm to measure height and kilograms to measure weight is the height of European.

kg = mass
Newtons = weight

:rolleyes2

Also I meant to say earlier, conversion between the Imperial and Metric is easy with simple multiplication.