PDA

View Full Version : Life 101

Loony BoB
02-08-2009, 08:06 PM
What do you think they should teach at school these days? I think they need more lessons to do with things that are going to be thrown at you in life. Be it to do with careers, money, relationships, dealing with peer pressure or anything. People these days are too focused on things that will get them ahead in the workplace to remember that you need to focus on life outside of your job in order to really live a good life. People lose jobs because of outside influences often these days and I think humanity in general would benefit from this sort of thing. I know I probably would have - luckily I'm doing okay regardless but yeah.

Yar
02-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Ohio schools are soon going to be required to teach a class that shows things like how to balance a checkbook and what a mortgage is, etc. Life stuff. :p

Rantz
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Peace, Love and Understanding: An Introduction! :heart:

NeoTifa
02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
They already do that, Yar-yars.... It's called career passport. I had to take it freshaman year.

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 08:15 PM
At my high school they had a finance class that taught us about saving miney credit cards bank accounts ect. We also had a class that taught a bough like realtionships between humans be it between friends or GF/BF's

Yar
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
They already do that, Yar-yars.... It's called career passport. I had to take it freshaman year.Miss News-Lady lied to me. :( WHY WOULD SHE DO THAT?! :mad2:

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
because she hates the prospect of you succeding in life! you should turn her into a slave

Shoeberto
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
They already do that, Yar-yars.... It's called career passport. I had to take it freshaman year.Miss News-Lady lied to me. :( WHY WOULD SHE DO THAT?! :mad2:
Depending on your graduation year you might not've had to take it. I remember hearing about the class but it was added to the curriculum like a year or two after I would've needed it.

I wish there would've even been like just one week of class in some random class in high school that gave me a clue about when to apply for college, how to best prepare for the application, finding scholarships and just all of that stuff. I had to find out everything literally from all of my friends; my immediate family didn't have much experience with it and the only thing the high school did for me was put on a college fair, which was less matter-of-fact about the application and more BS trying to recruit you to go to whatever schools were presenting.

Umm, other than that I think there should be a greater push for classes that prepare you for higher-education, ie making calculus a mandatory requirement for graduation, as well as advanced writing courses that really stress good technique. Those classes exist, but most people slip by without them, and I see a lot of those same people drowning in college.

Darkswordofchaos
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Umm, other than that I think there should be a greater push for classes that prepare you for higher-education, ie making calculus a mandatory requirement for graduation, as well as advanced writing courses that really stress good technique. Those classes exist, but most people slip by without them, and I see a lot of those same people drowning in college.

That would suck like bad. i passed that class by the skinn on my teeth i hated it. I think i had a bad teacher though cause like 90% of the class had a really hard time getting it she didnt go over ther crap good enough but what ev

Rye
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Instead of all of that stuff, which should be taught by the parents (though I understand a lot of parents fail), I think that schools should focus on something that kids fail at lately that they should be good at: ENGLISH.

Make kids take more writing classes. Then when THAT'S covered, focus on this extra stuff.

Jessweeee♪
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
That would be neat. 'bout all we have is Economics and DON'T HAVE SEX EVER OR YOU WILL DIE A HORRIBLE STD RELATED DEATH AND HAVE EIGHT BABIES WITH BIRTH DEFECTS classes ._.

LunarWeaver
02-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I never had any class that taught you how to balance check books and such. It didn't even exist at my school and it still doesn't.

I think they should dedicate a whole class to teaching typing online still counts as writing. 60% don't consider instant messaging or text messages actual "writing" [I guess] (http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Writing_Report_FINAL3.pdf), so they don't try. It doesn't have to be perfect, but when I have YouTube comments like "they r all like so young here n so cute. but not they r HOT! loln i agree w/ u papercliplizard!! ppl pretty much only like these guys cuz they r hot. they r IK! but they have TRUE talent 2!!!! so um neways...on a non related subject...im preg n only 14! i have no idea how 2 tell my rents or BF. if u cood message me soon, that wood b SO GREAT! thank u if u do. okay back 2 the hottest boys n the world-U ROCK JOBROS! I LOVE U 2 DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (that's real and took me less than a minute to find) I wish that when typing they at least somewhat tried.

Lawr
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM
I already know how to balance a check book, plan out my career, handle my money, decide whether it's a good time to loan a bond or buy a stock, and this semester I'm currently learning how to take care of an infant.

What else do I need to learn? I've got 2 more years left! :D

rubah
02-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I already know how to balance a check book, plan out my career, handle my money, decide whether it's a good time to loan a bond or buy a stock, and this semester I'm currently learning how to take care of an infant.

how to get a date imho

;D

Gwawr
02-08-2009, 11:01 PM
In British schools, PSHE kind of has all of this stuff covered. In GOOD schools, at least.

Værn
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I took a business math class that covered checkbooks and mortgages and loans all that jazz, but it wasn't required here. I just needed half a math credit.

Bunny
02-08-2009, 11:41 PM
English would be a good start.

Levian
02-08-2009, 11:42 PM
psht, I've learned all my :skull::skull::skull::skull: from video games and I've turned out just fine. There are just certain things you can't learn in school man.

If people are red, it's because they're either invulnerable or close to dying, depending on their facial expression. Turtles are evil and must be stepped upon, watch out for the ones with wings. If someone is so dizzy they have trouble standing on both feet, it means you can kill them in a brutal way. If you are jumping across a pit, you can bet your blue ass a green poison-barfing lizard will jump up and pull you in. Don't worry about spending money on hookers, just kill them afterwards and get it back. If you HAVE to walk under a chandelier, at least try to trick it into falling first. Sometimes it works to shoot locks open with guns, but it won't work if the lock is rusty, in which case the only thing that will work is oil, etc etc.

LunarWeaver
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Sometimes I wish Levian was my father.

NeoTifa
02-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Levian, you would make an excellent father. Have my behbehz plzkthnx.

Levian
02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
You won't regret it Noctiluca, I've picked up some great parenting tricks from the sims.

NeoTifa
02-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Like making a doorless room with a bunch of fireplaces, rugs, and paintings and put your baby in there? Me too!

Lawr
02-09-2009, 12:58 AM

how to get a date imho

;D

And risk getting cooties!? No way Jose!

Madame Adequate
02-09-2009, 03:14 AM
The history of political thought, the practical application of political systems, their strengths and weaknesses, and the philosophical origins of and justifications for historical and modern concepts of government, law, and so forth. Nobody should graduate until they can write a comprehensive paper explaining why voters choose to vote when rational choice theory suggests that it is a profitless act in the vast majority of cases, or tackle a similar issue in politics.

Jiro
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
psht, I've learned all my :skull::skull::skull::skull: from video games and I've turned out just fine. There are just certain things you can't learn in school man.

For the most part of my elementary schooling, my vocabulary and spelling ability was in large part due to the large amount of games I played. That's changed once school stopped failing at teaching, but I still owe a lot of things to gaming :D

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
How about the world stops lying to the student population by telling them that university is the only possible way to live ever, and if you don't go you'll die alone and poor like a scummy parasite and your family will disown you and dogs will pee on you? That'd be a good start. So many people fail at life because the world tells them to focus on uni.

Cactuar2000
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
To be honest BoB i'd be frightened to think of you teaching my children. ;)

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
To be honest a comparative religion/World Religion class. It is more to promote a greater understanding of various cultural and religious traditions. It would give them a historical context for each tradition as well as a general understanding of their practises and beliefs.

The Man
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
The history of political thought, the practical application of political systems, their strengths and weaknesses, and the philosophical origins of and justifications for historical and modern concepts of government, law, and so forth. Nobody should graduate until they can write a comprehensive paper explaining why voters choose to vote when rational choice theory suggests that it is a profitless act in the vast majority of cases, or tackle a similar issue in politics.
Yeah, this plus everything BooB said.

Miriel
02-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Really do think that Sociology should be a mandatory field of study in High School. It's the only subject I've ever taken that I think actually made me a better person.

Iceglow
02-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I think they need to teach people a little patience in life and how to resolve situations without shooting or stabbing each other like a bunch of smurfing morons. I mean what will stabbing someone to death resolve really it just causes more problems they also need to teach that religion which often is the basis of wars so much so that there are words which speciffically relate to holy wars such as crusade and jihad is actually about peace and love...someone seriously needs to explain how governments can actually get by teaching something which can incite wars and hate and yet preaches peace and love. I'm up for an absence of religion in this world, and yes I realize an absence of religion will not remove war but then atleast people cannot use religion as a reason for war.

Fujiko
02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
How to survive in the wild and get the most out of nature, how to tend to most sorts of common wounds etc. They never taught us much of that in school where I live :(; Keyword to sum it all up: The Mosquito Coast starring Harrison Ford! ;D

Lawr
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
To be honest a comparative religion/World Religion class. It is more to promote a greater understanding of various cultural and religious traditions. It would give them a historical context for each tradition as well as a general understanding of their practises and beliefs.

Actually I took a class like that called World History, of course it didn't focus only on religions, but it was a really great class to take and I plan on taking Current Events too and learning more about the Muslims over yonder.

I second his post.

Avarice-ness
02-09-2009, 11:12 PM
At my school there was aclass like thiscalled prep for parenting,it was required for graduation and don't mindthe lack of spaces,my space bar is broked.=[

DK
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Creationism :freak: