PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War 2

Iceglow
02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok so has anyone else been interested in this game, I mean I am because for once Dawn of War was a warhammer 40k computer game which didn't just suck because mostly they have sucked in the past (we're talking purely the 40k games of Final Liberation, Fire Warrior, Space Hulk, Chaos Gate, and the one I can never remember the name of where you play as Eldar forces on the pc) Dawn of War until the release of Supreme Commander was easily one of the most enjoyable best designed futuristic pc strategy games out there and one of the best strategy games full stop. I've greatly enjoyed kicking the ass of the other major races in the galaxy of warhammer 40k and especially with the last 2 packs the sheer style of the game play (though admittedly when the enemy immediately attacks the area you took from them again and again causing more battles for you to fight your way through it gets slightly painful) Theres only a few things which worry me about the style of DoW 2...firstly theres the fact that theres only 4 races, YES and SMURF YES! Tyranids are a welcome addition to the race line up but theres a distinct lack of tau, guard, chaos, dark eldar, necrons ect in this game giving us lots of races to choose from was good especially since even swarm races like orks and guard played very differently based on their own strengths also second problem with DoW2 is the fact that the squads might be fewer which isn't always a problem but there is the progression of them getting better which will be either hit or miss for many including myself. I will my computer specs permitting be buying this strategy to play around with however I am unsure if it will manage to take the top spot in my pc strategy game choice from DoW. Your thoughts?

Markus. D
02-09-2009, 11:05 PM
It had zombies right?

I love zombies.

Madame Adequate
02-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Dawn of War is a contender with Starcraft and Red Alert 2 for best RTS ever made. It is an immensely valid game of pure win.

Having had experience with those expansion packs and several years for refinement, I don't see how DoW2 could be anything less than sublime. I eagerly await both it, and the six plus races which will be added by xpacs.

Iceglow
02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Indeed MILF, Dawn of War is very much full of win as stated it was one of the best designed RTS games out there and it's only real competition came at the time from the equally awesome supreme commander game and it's expansion. Even more full of win was the fact that this took the impressively awesome universe of Warhammer 40,000 and made it in to a game that didn't just fail though Rites of War (the game I can never remember the title of from my opening post) wasn't entirely bad it didn't quite do the game justice. I liked the fact that Dawn of War didn't try to make the imperium of man look like the good guys because in the reality of the warhammer universe I don't think there are any really good guys out there. I also like the idea that when you're playing another race you weren't playing the enemy races but you were playing an equally good race in it's own way.

The main problem I have with the squad progression idea is things like: Tyrannids and Guard both send millions of units to their deaths to achieve their goals, the Imperial Guard can sacrifice a billion men on one planet to gain control and not blink it's eyes when the imperial guard arrive via expansion pack will they be forced to keep using a limited few squads? Such a thing could be very cool if they touched upon say the story of Gaunts Ghosts or the other regiments mentioned in the books of the Gaunts Ghost series. However if it was merely some nameless faceless cadian regiment then well using a few limited squads wouldn't be so cool.

There are questions I will definitely be testing the game to try and seek these answers but could the sequel fall prey to the initial salvo?