PDA

View Full Version : need a new RPG

guffman
02-10-2009, 03:25 AM
i think the last time i was on this forum i made the same post... that was two years ago or something... anyway the point is i just beat shadow hearts covenant again and it has left me empty and bored. taking all suggestions for a new game, old or new makes no difference to me. bring it on.

PuPu
02-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Kingdom Hearts

guffman
02-10-2009, 03:33 AM
ehhhh i know everyone loves it but i have a hard time wanting to fight along side disney characters...

Yar
02-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Mario RPG! :greenie:

tbh, I don't typically find many newer RPGs that I enjoy. :-/

Brandless Goods
02-10-2009, 03:44 AM
Dude. You're never gonna find a new one. Either pick up the next one you get your hands on, no matter what it is, and play it through, or you'll never play another RPG.

Anyway I found a cool looking RPG the other day called Ar Tonelico. Its very RPGish.

guffman
02-10-2009, 04:02 AM
Dude. You're never gonna find a new one. Either pick up the next one you get your hands on, no matter what it is, and play it through, or you'll never play another RPG.

now that is some real advice.
i always get stuck in a slump after i finish a game and that makes sense to me. thanks man. now fill me in on this ar tonelico.

Brandless Goods
02-10-2009, 04:09 AM
I haven't played it but . . .

It's seems like a pretty basic RPG with simple sprites and simple art. Nothing fancy. Another thing is, even though it has things like random battles, it works more like a videobook. Characters talk to each other as large sprites of themselves on the screen, in the cities you choose which place to go to instead of actually walking around there, and the world map has points on it which you unlock as you keep playing. You don't actually run around in it like a final fantasy game. I guess the story is supposed to pretty deep and the characters pretty defined, so if you're looking for a game with alot of story, go for it. Btw, from what I have played, the voice acting is pretty :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, but the intro gets you involved in the game right away.

Vermachtnis
02-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Ar Tonelico has one of the most beautiful soundtracks I have ever heard. And it's like half Dating Sim/RPG. It has typical Gust sprites, like from the Atelier series if you've ever played that. If you haven't I highly suggest that as well. Atelier Iris 2 is one my favorite games.

guffman
02-10-2009, 04:16 AM
sounds like it fires on all the points im looking for... i checked out the art style and unfortunately i have hit that graphic wall. damn all these new consoles. the art is rad though... ill look into it more.

still taking suggestions

guffman
02-10-2009, 04:22 AM
holy :skull::skull::skull::skull:house i cant find that game for less than 60 bucks!!!onemoreexclamationpoint!

Bunny
02-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Play Suikoden or Wild ARMs.

guffman
02-10-2009, 04:34 AM
you know... now dont hate me guys... but i really dont like suikoden.... sorry...

Vermachtnis
02-10-2009, 04:47 AM
holy :skull::skull::skull::skull:house i cant find that game for less than 60 bucks!!!onemoreexclamationpoint!

A sequel just came out for 40 dollars. It has a vastly superior battle system. The music is still good, but not a good as the first. There are two exceptions the final boss song and Dispedia are better than any track in the first game.

Bunny
02-10-2009, 04:53 AM
you know... now dont hate me guys... but i really dont like suikoden.... sorry...

That's fine, I don't care. I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy. Try Wild ARMs out if you already haven't, they are a solid series of games. If they aren't your cup of tea, maybe try Star Ocean or Growlanser. I don't know what systems you have, but if you own an Xbox 360, look at Lost Odyssey, Fallout 3, Fable 2 or Last Remnant. It would help if you listed what systems you have available.

guffman
02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
ps2 and 360.
lost odyssey is really rad but i think the lack of love story and other gay rpg :skull::skull::skull::skull: that i love is kind of lacking, epic as my balls though. star ocean: till the end of time was ok. the first fable was good but; The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Fable 2 (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/346-Fable-2) stupid yahtzee has to ruin everything for me.

im totally going to check out that sequel btw

The Man
02-10-2009, 05:43 AM
SuikodenThis. If you can't find it used, torrent it.

guffman
02-10-2009, 05:56 AM
wat?

Wolf Kanno
02-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Persona 3, especially the Special edition FES game with the prologue chapter The Answer. It has been the most inspiring and groundbreaking RPG I've played since probably smurfing Xenogears.

You play as a Japanese High School student who learns that their is a mysterious 25th hour in the day where demonic creatures called Shadows feast on people. Most of humanity is unaware of this hour and those who are have the power to summon Persona which are the subconscious parts of your soul that take the form of mythical gods and demons.

The twist the game has is this. At night you battle against the Shadows and try to uncover the truth behind the Dark Hour but during the day you have to live your life as a normal student. You have to study for exams, make friends, and join clubs. These bonds you form strengthen your Personas. It has some of the most touching moments I've seen in a story for a long time, especially RPGs and your main character is unquestionably a bad ass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg06RvVzzdM&feature=related).

Its an Occult Horror RPG and one of the best RPGs to be released in the last decade. :cool:

The Man
02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I should read the entire thread before posting. To be honest, it sounds like your taste in RPGs is too dissimilar from mine for me to be a good source of recommendations. :/

guffman
02-10-2009, 06:34 AM
dude that looks crazy awesome!

Zeromus_X
02-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Persona 3, especially the Special edition FES game with the prologue chapter The Answer. It has been the most inspiring and groundbreaking RPG I've played since probably smurfing Xenogears.

You play as a Japanese High School student who learns that their is a mysterious 25th hour in the day where demonic creatures called Shadows feast on people. Most of humanity is unaware of this hour and those who are have the power to summon Persona which are the subconscious parts of your soul that take the form of mythical gods and demons.

The twist the game has is this. At night you battle against the Shadows and try to uncover the truth behind the Dark Hour but during the day you have to live your life as a normal student. You have to study for exams, make friends, and join clubs. These bonds you form strengthen your Personas. It has some of the most touching moments I've seen in a story for a long time, especially RPGs and your main character is unquestionably a bad ass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg06RvVzzdM&feature=related).

Its an Occult Horror RPG and one of the best RPGs to be released in the last decade. :cool:

P4 is pretty good too. I would recommend Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and any other SMT game as well. Just be careful, they're pretty hard.

guffman
02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
yeah i was doing the research and after SHC anything would be pretty difficult, as much as i love that game it is pretty easy: as far as RPG's go.

Wolf Kanno
02-10-2009, 06:59 AM
P4 is pretty good too. I would recommend Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, and any other SMT game as well. Just be careful, they're pretty hard.

I second these titles as well, and I completely agree that they are "kick you in the ass so hard you'll be wearing your buttocks like a hat" difficult. Yet every new story scene makes it so worth it. :cool:

guffman
02-10-2009, 07:00 AM
:skull::skull::skull::skull: now you guys are scaring the hell out of me....

Skyblade
02-10-2009, 07:27 AM
The Golden Sun games are awesome RPGs, if you have a GBA.

Wolf Kanno
02-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Nocturne is that bad but the Persona games are not nearly as difficult. The combat system focuses on using strategy and exploiting weaknesses to win. Its not a series you can just "grind to godhood" and not worry, but believe me its a pretty simple system. ;)

It plays like Pokemon except when you hit an enemy with their weakness, you do mass damage and get an extra turn. In Nocturne and I believe DDS, your goal is to maximize as many turns as you can get so you have every opportunity to finish off your enemies.

In Persona 3 and 4, if you hit every enemy with their weakness and knock them to the ground you can do a huge group attack and cause massive damage that generally kills most normal encounters in that game. The thing is, the enemies can do it to you too (except the group attack) and every Persona has its own strengths and weaknesses. Strategy comes from finding a balanced party and unlike most RPGs, Persona encourages you to switch out your party more often to avoid giving the enemies weaknesses to exploit. Your party members are stuck with a distinct Persona but your main characters can change their Persona's and you have over a hundred to choose from.

You get new Persona by fusing them with other Persona's to create new ones. Luckily, you get a Compendium that allows you to save your Persona and re-summon them at the cost of some money. This allows you the freedom to experiment and not worry too much about losing a good Persona. The new Persona created from Fusion will inherit skills and abilites from its two parent Personas. The links you make with people during the daytime give these Persona huge experience boosts which is great since they level slower than your human characters. The links also lead towards the ability to create special and generally uber powerful Personas.

It takes a bit getting used to but once you get the flow of the game down you can spend some serious time doing Social Links and Experimenting with Persona Fusions.

guffman
02-10-2009, 08:02 AM
...wow... that is pretty intense, i think i am sold on it. Persona 3 it is. now just gotta find it for as cheap as possible. amazon is not so bad...

Wolf Kanno
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
...wow... that is pretty intense, i think i am sold on it. Persona 3 it is. now just gotta find it for as cheap as possible. amazon is not so bad...

Go for the FES version :D

Dreddz
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
It should be noted that Persona 4 is much easier than previous SMT titles. I'm currently going through the game myself and its actually pretty easy, something I never thought I'd hear myself saying about SMT ever. I'm absolutely loving the game personally.

If you enjoyed Shadow Hearts then buy Lost Odssey. They are actually made by the same people so you may enjoy both.

Laddy
02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Try a CRPG. I reccomend Baldur's Gate, Wizardry 8, maybe KOTOR or Mass Effect, those are RPG's, but they come from the West, and the first two might be a bitch to find.

If not, try a Grandia or Chrono game.

guffman
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
KOTOR is always a classic, Lost O is good and very epic: playing it with my roommate right now. Im going to go with persona; so new debate. 3 or 4?

Jessweeee♪
02-10-2009, 11:20 PM

Go for the FES version :D

Yes, definitely! The FES version has the original game plus a bonus chapter, and Iunno, maybe some other features too; FES is the only game from this company I own xD

I love this game so much, I can't wait to try out Persona 4 n.n

EDIT:

Well I haven't played 4 yet, so I can't really help much, but the price for FES might be cheaper since it's been out longer.

guffman
02-11-2009, 12:33 AM
dude i dont think so, its that whole they did not make enough factor. same thing with SHC and SH as opposed to 3. guff is so pricey. oh well might as well spend some cash to lose like 60 hrs of my life....

Zeromus_X
02-11-2009, 12:37 AM
FES is still like 30 bucks.

I would play 3 before 4, since 4 has certain gameplay improvements that might make 3 seem tedious to play if you played it after 4.

Jessweeee♪
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
dude i dont think so, its that whole they did not make enough factor. same thing with SHC and SH as opposed to 3. guff is so pricey. oh well might as well spend some cash to lose like 60 hrs of my life....

More like 105 hours :p

Chibi Youkai
02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Try a CRPG. I reccomend Baldur's Gate, Wizardry 8, maybe KOTOR or Mass Effect, those are RPG's, but they come from the West, and the first two might be a bitch to find.

I think the only really good Grandia game was the first one. And the first half of the second. All the others just sucked.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, Dragon Age: Origins looks like it's going to be an awesome game.

Vyk
02-11-2009, 01:34 AM

I think the only really good Grandia game was the first one. And the first half of the second. All the others just sucked.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, Dragon Age: Origins looks like it's going to be an awesome game.

<3 spiritual Baldur's Gate 3

JKTrix
02-11-2009, 03:17 AM
If you have a DS, I could give you several suggestions. My strongest one, however, would be Shiren the Wanderer. That's the game that really shifted my mindset towards RPGs in general.

Might sound a little abstract, but the key to getting 'good' at Shiren is not levelling up your player character, but levelling up *yourself* as the human player. If you can get over the 'start back at 1 when you die' thing, you're set for something pretty special.

Shin Megami Tensei games also get my vote. The World Ends With You on DS also has my 2nd favourite RPG combat system, behind the 360's Tales of Vesperia.

Branching out just a liiiiiitle bit more from the standard definition of 'RPG', Yakuza and Yakuza 2.

Brandless Goods
02-11-2009, 03:19 AM
You ever heard of Snatcher?

Laddy
02-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Try Etrian Odyssey if your uber hardcore.

Wolf Kanno
02-11-2009, 04:54 AM
KOTOR is always a classic, Lost O is good and very epic: playing it with my roommate right now. Im going to go with persona; so new debate. 3 or 4?

I have not started on P4 yet, I'm finishing up FES and getting ready to start The Answer. I have finished the original P3 and will add that P3 and P3:FES are quite different and both totally awesome. FES really improved the game more than most Special Editions do.

P4 also has a point where you get to visit a few places from P3 so you may want to play P3 first just so you can get the in-joke. I don't believe the games offer major connections to each other but can't say for sure. Also, don't worry, you don't need to have played Revelations: Persona ~ Be Your True Mind , Persona 2: Innocent Sin, or Persona 2: Eternal Punishment to understand Persona 3. You may catch a few more in-jokes but the stories don't really cross. ;)

I also second The World Ends With You

Momiji
02-11-2009, 05:12 AM

F.O.E.! F.O.E.! F.O.E.!

Yeah, Etrian Odyssey's fun.

I'm surprised there haven't been any Disgaea suggestions yet (cba to read the whole thread, but I ran a Ctrl+F on both pages and got nothing). That series is a strategy RPG fan's wet dream. You can literally level up to 9999. :p

Also, if you're willing to play older games, try out EarthBound (aka Mother 2). Excellent, excellent game if you can get over the simple graphics and silly storyline (though that isn't a problem for some people).

guffman
02-11-2009, 06:49 AM
oh dude i love earthbound!

i do not know about this, enlighten me if you would?

Brandless Goods
02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm surprised there haven't been any Disgaea suggestions yet (cba to read the whole thread, but I ran a Ctrl+F on both pages and got nothing). That series is a strategy RPG fan's wet dream. You can literally level up to 9999. :p

I already mentioned Ar Tonelico.

Markus. D
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM

... The games have pretty much null in relation..

I reccomend both [B

Laddy
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
oh dude i love earthbound!

i do not know about this, enlighten me if you would?
You create a party of various classes and walk through a huge dungeon bopping enemies and improving your characters slowly. It's wocked fun, but veeeeery hardcore, so if you dislike old PC RPG's or games like say...Unlimited SaGa, you'll probably hate it.

Momiji
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I disagree. I despise Unlimited SaGa, but I like Etrian Odyssey.

Dreddz
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Branching out just a liiiiiitle bit more from the standard definition of 'RPG', Yakuza and Yakuza 2.
Well I also give my recommendation to these two games but its a stretch to call them RPG's. I see them as brawlers personally with slight RPG elements thrown in. The games do have random encounters though. But good luck finding a copy of either game. Yakuza is quite old now and Yakuza 2 was in limited print. Although its best to get them now before they wind up fetching over £100 online in 2 years.

You ever heard of Snatcher?
Not an RPG. Although its easily the best adventure game ever made.

Wolf Kanno
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM

But Ar Tonelico doesn't have evil exploding penguins...

Vermachtnis
02-11-2009, 07:40 PM

Umm...okay I have no idea how you made that leap :p On the one hand, Disgaea is a Strategy RPG where grinding is a necessity. At least for post game. And Ar Tonelico is a RPG/Dating Sim that requires no grinding, at all, the games a cake walk. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but way, waaaay to easy. The second one fixed the difficulty a little. It's still on the easy side, but not a cake walk. Also, they're made by two different companies. Sure NISA distributes them both over here, but Atelier and Ar Tonelico are Gust games.

JKTrix
02-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Shiren the Wanderer > Etrian Odyssey in terms of 'uber hardcoreness'.

With Shiren, you actually have to have the mindset of playing Super Mario Brothers instead of Final Fantasy when you play. Imagine playing Super Mario Bros for the first time, not knowing *anything* about the game besides the fact you can run and jump. You run forward a bit and then you hit a Goomba and you die. Start over, you see the Goomba again you go 'ok, don't hit the Goomba this time' and jump over it, not dying and continuing on. You might even jump on top of it by accident, and then you discover 'oh wow, I can kill it by jumping on it!' That's the kind of 'skill building' effect Shiren goes for.

You will come across enemies who will kill you. At times, the game does conspire against you and actively tries to brutally murder you, putting you in a randomly-generated room with over-leveled monsters that you can't escape from. And when you die, you start over again from the beginning. But as you play, you learn what each type of monster can do. After a while of playing SMB, as soon as you see a Goomba you know 'jump on it'. As soon as you see a winged Koopa, you know to time your Jump to knock it out, and then jump on it again to finally kill it. You see a fire-breathing plant, you know there's a certain spot you can wait and hide where it won't hit you, then move on past it once it goes back into the pipe.

Shiren is probably the deepest RPG I have ever played, period. It might seem very simple or that it's missing some features that you might like in an RPG (such as 'classes' or a 'party' or a 'story' :P), but it's very deceptive. If you do get the game, the first town gives you an incredibly extensive (and optional) Tutorial to get you more familiar with some of the devious things you can (and have to) do in the game.

It's probably not going to be for everyone, but I definitely consider this to be one of the RPG Classics.

Note: The full name of the game is "Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer". Do not substitute getting Shiren for one of the other recent 'Mystery Dungeon' games, like Pokemon or Chocobo. They are similar in essence, but extremely diluted.

RedWiz
02-11-2009, 09:39 PM
^

What he said. Shiren is a good time waster...

Etrian Odyssey is good, too.

And there's always Pokemon...

Vermachtnis
02-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Mystery Dungeon? So is it Roguetype, like Izuna or Baroque? I'd recommend Izuna as well. Don't let the cute graphics confuse you, it's hard.

RedWiz
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Mystery Dungeon? So is it Roguetype, like Izuna or Baroque? I'd recommend Izuna as well. Don't let the cute graphics confuse you, it's hard.

Ya it's a roguelike. Definitely not as broad as the ones you'll find for PC (no classes, less robust controls and content), but it does well for those who like it.

Brandless Goods
02-11-2009, 10:43 PM

... The games have pretty much null in relation..

I reccomend both [B

I said he doesn't like the graphics in Ar Tonelico. They're pretty much the same in Disgaea.

And Snatcher could /technically/ be considered an RPG since RPG stands for Role Playing Game and in Snatcher your sole purpose is to play a role. I guess most games could be considered RPGs in that case huh

guffman
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
all of this sounds pretty fun but i'll be honest, dungeon crawling is not my idea of fun. anybody remember dark cloud, yeah you do but not for any good reason.

Vermachtnis
02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
all of this sounds pretty fun but i'll be honest, dungeon crawling is not my idea of fun. anybody remember dark cloud, yeah you do but not for any good reason.

I for one loved both those games.

Dreddz
02-12-2009, 12:35 AM
The Dark Cloud series is one of my favourites from last gen. Nothing wrong with dungeon crawlers if they are made without feeling repetetive. Persona got it right as well.

RedWiz
02-12-2009, 04:50 AM
As for non-crawlers go, I'd say Front Mission, if no one has said it already.

Pretty fun game, says I. Its a tactical RPG. With customizable Gundams, more or less.

Brandless Goods
02-12-2009, 05:54 AM
There's this really great RPG called Final Fantasy 7. You ought to try it out. The main character is a badass who doesn't know himself and travels around the world repeatedly giving and taking a black stone to and from his worst enemy. At the end the enemy gets the black stone and uses it to destroy the world. But this dead chick uses a white stone to save the world. Eventually the world fights back against both the black and the white stone and wins and nothing mattered in the whole first place.

The Man
02-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Overrated.

NeoCracker
02-12-2009, 08:22 AM
OF the Dark Cloulds, 2 was superior, though quite a few people enjoyed the first as well.

My favorite part of 2 was "Crest, The Great Sage." Amazing story arc that was.

And of Wild Arms, I can't vouch for 1, but the rest are awesome as Bunny said. Especially 2 and 5. 2 has an amazing story and great characters, and while the battle system is fairly classic in style, theres enough quirks in it to make in pretty freakin' awesome.

4 and 5 use a very unique turn based sysem in which you move characers in a Hexegon Grid thingy. I have a hard time explaining it, but its simple, fun, and unique.

The wild arms also use a lot of puzzles to solve in order to advance. You get different tools that do different things on the map screen to solve them with. The only other rpg that did that well I can remember was Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinastrals for the SNES.

And major props for the Persona's.

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I can vouch for the awesome of Wild Arms 1 and 2. Both were excellent games, later titles were questionable...

I second Front Mission, Tactical SRPG robot action at its finest. While we're on the subject of RPGs with robots...

Xenogears: Probably one of the greatest RPGs ever made and even with its botched second disc and terrible translation, still puts 98% of all RPGs to shame in terms of story and depth. Its a bit fugly by today's standards but it still holds one of the more original battle systems.

Breath of Fire is another option as well. The first game is forgettable but the rest of the series is pretty fantastic. III and V are my personal favorites. :D

The Chrono games are also great if you haven't played them yet.

NeoCracker
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
How Could I forget BoF?

II and III are nothing short of amazing. Though if by V you mean Dragon Quarter, you are a failure of a human being. That was by far the largest blemish on the BoF series, and a disgrace to the Genre of RPG's.

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
How Could I forget BoF?

II and III are nothing short of amazing. Though if by V you mean Dragon Quarter, you are a failure of a human being. That was by far the largest blemish on the BoF series, and a disgrace to the Genre of RPG's.

You are the one who fails at life my cracking friend, you lack the fundamental ability to know what "fun" is by ignoring Dragon Quarter which was an awesome game with an excellent story and innovative gameplay.

NeoCracker
02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
How Could I forget BoF?

You are the one who fails at life my cracking friend, you lack the fundamental ability to know what "fun" is by ignoring Dragon Quarter which was an awesome game with an excellent story and innovative gameplay.

You lack the fundamental ability to discern garbage from art I say!

You're probably the guy who let that dude submit a toilet seat as art to a museum.

Markus. D
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
How Could I forget BoF?

You're probably the guy who let that dude submit a toilet seat as art to a museum.

Dragon Quarter wasn't so bad, just bland at the start... till about early mid-game.... a little odd, but solid. As they say it's all about first impressions, so I don't mind Neocracker's game related reactions (not either of you attacking eachother though).

NeoCracker
02-12-2009, 11:39 AM
How Could I forget BoF?

Dragon Quarter wasn't so bad, just bland at the start... till about early mid-game.... a little odd, but solid. As they say it's all about first impressions, so I don't mind Neocracker's game related reactions (not either of you attacking eachother though).

Don't worry. Me and Kanno attacking eachother is just our way of showing we care. :love:

And oddly I had a friend who liked the begginning but hated as he got into it further. XD

Wolf Kanno
02-12-2009, 04:15 PM
How Could I forget BoF?

Don't worry. Me and Kanno attacking eachother is just our way of showing we care. :love:

And oddly I had a friend who liked the begginning but hated as he got into it further. XD

I WUUUUVVVVV UUUUU!!! :love:

Seriously, I do understand how people can not like it. Its innovations can be annoying for a lot of people and I can understand how people would get miffed at having to play a game a few times in order to unlock the whole story. BoFV is not for everyone but I felt it had one of the best stories in the BoF series, especially when it broke a few of the BoF conventions (Ryu can talk? Nina can't? *REJOICE*).

Momiji
02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
There's this really great boring RPG called Final Fantasy 7. You ought to try it out pretend it doesn't exist. The main character is a badass pansy who doesn't know himself and travels around the world repeatedly has dissociative fugues combined with a touch of schizophrenia giving and taking a black stone to and from his worst enemy another pansy with a big sword with mommy issues. At the end the enemy gets the black stone and uses it to destroy the world. But this dead chick uses a white stone to save the world. Eventually the world fights back against both the black and the white stone and wins and nothing mattered in the whole first place so there was really no point in playing.

Fixed. :D

The Man
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Nice summary of FFVII. I also like this one:

http://www.almost1337.com/mp3/aaron/ffvii.jpg

NeoCracker
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Seriously, I do understand how people can not like it. Its innovations can be annoying for a lot of people and I can understand how people would get miffed at having to play a game a few times in order to unlock the whole story. BoFV is not for everyone but I felt it had one of the best stories in the BoF series, especially when it broke a few of the BoF conventions (Ryu can talk? Nina can't? *REJOICE*).

Seriously, I do understand how people can not like it. Its innovations can be annoying for a lot of people and I can understand how people would get miffed at having to play a game a few times in order to unlock the whole story.

Seriously, I do understand how people can not like it. Its innovations can be annoying for a lot of people\.

Seriously, I do understand how people can not like it. Its innovations can be annoying for a lot of people\.

You just ANSWERED why people hate it so much. It has nothing to do with the story at all. :p

Though I admit it was a little upsetting Ryu could talk. :(

Thats like making Crono talk.

guffman
02-13-2009, 02:41 AM
ok i noticed a lot of arguing going back and forth, i dont want to have to read it all. can someone give me a readers digest version over here?

NeoCracker
02-13-2009, 02:47 AM
ok i noticed a lot of arguing going back and forth, i dont want to have to read it all. can someone give me a readers digest version over here?

They say BoF V is a good game, and I debate its legitamacy as a game.

They like the innovative battle system, and I found it to be nothing but annoying.

And Kanno thinks toilets are art.

Thats the whole argument. :p

guffman
02-13-2009, 07:52 AM
well toilets may not be art but as for what goes into them that may be... ok maybe not i was just trying to think of something slightly intelligent to say and failed...

Wolf Kanno
02-13-2009, 08:25 AM

You just ANSWERED why people hate it so much. It has nothing to do with the story at all. :p

The real amusing thing here is I say in the first statement that I do understand why people don't like it. I never said I didn't understand :p

After having bitchy Nina in III and useless Nina in IV, it was nice to get a bit of peace and quiet from her character. The only other good Nina besides V's was II's :love:

Course I find it hard to take your credibility when you admit that Xenosaga II was a great game which it clearly is not. ;)

guffman
02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
ok everyone can we not just agree to disagree? thats probably a stupid question on a video game forum...

demondude
02-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Nah, that would be boring.

guffman
02-14-2009, 03:35 AM
haha thats what i figured

NeoCracker
02-15-2009, 06:53 AM

The real amusing thing here is I say in the first statement that I do understand why people don't like it. I never said I didn't understand :p

After having bitchy Nina in III and useless Nina in IV, it was nice to get a bit of peace and quiet from her character. The only other good Nina besides V's was II's :love:

Course I find it hard to take your credibility when you admit that Xenosaga II was a great game which it clearly is not. ;)

Hey, the story was great, and I admit the flaws in the system. :p

And I was short on sleep when reading the response. Give me a break. :p

guffman
02-15-2009, 08:20 PM
oh my god let it go lol!

Brandless Goods
02-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Tales of Destiny for ps2. The. Best.

Zeromus_X
02-15-2009, 09:48 PM
I don't think the OP is able to import, but yes, if you are, I would get that when the translation patch is finished.

Laddy
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I second Tales games, particularly Phantasia, Symphonia, and Abyss.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2009, 05:58 AM
oh my god let it go lol!

That's just our typical friendly banter, so don't worry. ;)

Not being able to use Suikoden is a bit of a disadvantage and god knows I can go on forever talking about how great the Megami Tensei series is...

Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Vagrant Story are also great Action RPGs. The Xenosaga series is pretty good unless long cutscenes and philosophical bantering bore you. .Hack//: series is also pretty good if your looking for something a bit off the normal path. Rhapsody: A Musical RPG is also awesome and definetly "different". Metal Saga is pretty awesome but then again I have become a hopeless whore for anything Atlus releases nowadays. The Star Ocean series is also pretty good, the stories are questionable but the combat and overall gameplay is superb.

guffman
02-17-2009, 07:26 AM
The Xenosaga series is pretty good unless long cutscenes and philosophical bantering bore you. omg best quote ever! hahahaha lolz and rofl!

Brandless Goods
02-17-2009, 07:57 AM
You could always do something better with your life like study another language, learn guitar, read a book, study chess. If this is the end of your RPG life you just gotta accept it for what it is!

guffman
02-18-2009, 04:55 AM
haha im in college i do all of the above. so i need to escape with a little video gaming now and then.

Alex151
02-18-2009, 07:01 AM
if you're open minded with what types of RPG's you play, I'd say get fallout 3 and Oblivion, you can get over 100 hours of gameplay off of them, and probably more. They also have a lot expansions to get off of Xbox live for more stuff to do.

I am also playing Bioshock right now, it's more 1st person shooter rpg, but it's pretty good so far

Lacarus
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Valkyria Chronicles. I'm gonna get it when I aquire a PS3.