PDA

View Full Version : Rune Factory 2

Vermachtnis
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Does anyone else play this? It's a Harvest Moon, but with an RPG twist and pulls it off pretty well. I like it better than the first one.

It starts off with a pretty huge cliche though, [Unnamed Hero] wonders into town with Amnesia. Mana, the little sister type, finds him and gives him a farm (because that's what you do with strangers) after a few humorous scenes with her dad. Spent the next couple of days clearing off the farm and introducing myself to the people. I also decided to do some quests. I find a fun one: Kill 5 Orcs. I was thinking, surely she'd give me a weapon first, but I was wrong. Armed with a Watering Can and a Hoe I went to slay some Orcs.

I did more quests, crops came in and I got some money and bought a Spear. It was about this time I decided to start a family...or a harem. Out of the original seven I narrowed it down to 3: Alicia, the Furtune Teller; Rozy, the rich girl; or Yue, the traveling saleswoman. I went with Yue. After the baby is born, you decide to build a school. After the school is built is when it gets interesting.

The game timeskips about eight years.

The Main Character regains his memory and leaves in the middle of the night. Said he's gonna leave clues for his child to find him.

Now you begin the second part as the child, depending on your choice it can be a boy or a girl. There is a couple of weird things I noticed, the girl you were chasing in the first part is now your mother and her friendship level is at 0! Your mom doesn't like you! It makes since that the rest of the villagers are at 0, but she's your mom for crying out loud.

Dignified Pauper
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I played the first and was mildly amused by it. It was definitely enjoyable. Is this one better than the first?

Vermachtnis
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea, first sentence there chief. :p "I like it better than the first one." Some of the things I thought were improved were the social interactions. You have a lot more open to you at the beginning. You don't have to crawl through the dungeon and beat the boss to go to the next. And on that note, there's no dungeon that only open during the winter. I hated that dungeon, you felt like you had to rush through it and that was the hardest boss in the game. Also you two opening sequences. I don't know if they got a different singer or she got better, but the two openings are better than the first game.

Skyblade
02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Wait, the second one came out? Dangit, didn't realize that it was out yet. I enjoyed the first one, though it wasn't perfect, and have been looking forward to the second one.

Necronopticous
02-11-2009, 05:17 AM
It is quite calming that the Rune Factory games opted not to have a "game-time-elapsed" field. I spent more time on these games than I care to be reminded of. I can't really say that I have any regrets, either, though.