PDA

View Full Version : Dinopark Tycoon (effffffyouuuuuuuuuu)

Clouded Sky
02-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Some of you may remember this game if you were lucky enough to have spent your formative years in the primary education system around the same time as myself. It's a pretty sweet game - and educational to boot. You get the chance to run a Dinopark and manage it by buying land, concessions, hiring employees, buying dinosaurs, making sure they have enough food and managing ticket prices and loans, etc. This couldn't have been extremely easy as a child - and recently I've gone back to this gem through some DOS emulation. IT IS HARD. Jesus. I can't ever seem to get past the first year without tanking somehow.

Do you remember this game? If so, was it not awesome? What about other old school games? (Odell Down Under, anyone?) Also, help me win Dinopark Tycoon!

Flying Mullet
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
The big game from my formative years that we played at school was Oregon Trail.

Momiji
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I remember really being into Rollercoaster Tycoon as a kid, and I've recently been trying to find and download Gizmos and Gadgets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizmos_and_gadgets) to play again, it was one of my favorite PC games as a kid. I also have recently downloaded SkiFree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skifree) and Chip's Challenge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip%27s_challenge), which I also played a lot.

ShunNakamura
02-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Dinopark Tycoon?! They have a tycoon for everything don't they?!

As for me I have many fond memories of Transport Tycoon, Skifree, and some old adventure type game that I can't recall the name of. It was one of those annoying ones that had the 'password' to play hidden in the manual. I also remember some old mortocycle game and the old DOS Wing commander game.

Maybe I should fire up SimTheme Park I see the CD case sitting there right in front of the TV... though it hasn't been opened since the week after the day I got it(probably).

blackmage_nuke
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
RollerCoaster Tycoon was the best.

I also remmeber when my pc was limited to Chips Challenge and Ski Free.

Ive played alot of old school games but not in my youth. Ive downloaded quite a few games in attempts to find games that I have forgotten the names of and have consequently found quite a few that I enjoy.

ShunNakamura
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
You can't speak of Rollercoaster tycoon without the mandatory killing of visitors post!

Park visitors are awfully tough don't ya think? (http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Abuse-Rollercoaster-Tycoon-3-Massacre-7017249)

Moon Rabbits
02-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Dinopark Tycoon was awesome. So was Dr. Quandray's Island or whatever the smurf that was called.

Putt-putt was the best children's game ever though. Fo realz.

edit: And the Incredible Machine. And Chip's Challenge. And Jezzball. And Jazz Jackrabbit . . .

edit edit: Annnnnnnnd that Alphabet Quest game with the butterflies and the goo. Lemmings! Goblins I, II, III. Willy Beamish.

So many good old DOS games.

RedWiz
02-12-2009, 04:20 AM
TIE Fighter, Scorched Earth, Wolfenstein 3D, and Golf to name a few...

Darkswordofchaos
02-12-2009, 05:19 PM

This

ShunNakamura
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
TIE Fighter, Scorched Earth, Wolfenstein 3D, and Golf to name a few...

I can't believe I forgot Scorched Earth! the amount of my life wasted on that game is probably best not remembered! Only Tycoon was worse!

Vermachtnis
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
The game I played in school was this one where you were a green monster and you ate words and numbers and stuff. It was awesome.

Iceglow
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Theme Hospital!

Dignified Pauper
02-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Odell Down Under was a GREAT game. I loved being cleaner fish.

Also, Oregon Trail is great.

Boney King
02-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Theme Hospital!
OMG JESUS CHRIST THIS. I remember.

Also, Theme Park World.

ShunNakamura
02-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Theme Hospital!

Also, Theme Park World.
Is that the one that was called Sim Theme Park in the united states? If so it is a fun enough game. I do enjoy the Tycoon series more though. Chris Sawyer makes many good games!

As for games in school... I remember playing this one game in 6th grade. It was real addictive. Everyone wanted to stay in and play it(even during recess and before and after class... the teacher ended up kicking everyone out!). It was a mac game(heh, the elementary only had macs at that time). Some kinda dinosaur game. Can't remember the name. And in fifth grade I remember having to load games for people during rainy days all the time(apparently I was the only one who knew how to properly use one of the old disc based operating macs). Stuff like Carmen Sandiego, etc.

Bolivar
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I loved Dino Park tycoon. constantly played it in school on old crappy macs. I think we found something where you go into one store and leave and it's a bug that basically gives you more money. yeah, we cheated. it was a fun game though, I should try to emulate it eventually, i'm just drowning in games right now.

Meat Puppet
02-14-2009, 04:17 AM
http://uwmpost.com/images/article-photos/58_600.jpg

Jessweeee♪
02-14-2009, 04:26 AM

Oregon Trail was the only one I would play xD

I hated it when I randomly got mauled by a bear or died of a bad cold :mad2:

EDIT:

Oh, and Sim Town...not City for whatever reason...

The Man
02-14-2009, 04:29 AM
smurfing dysentery. I almost never won the game because of that crap. :(

Clouded Sky
02-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Oregon Trail was probably my first game too. It was developed at the college I'm attending now, which I think is pretty cool too.

I made a "create-a-fish" on Odell down under the other day that ate coral. TOP SCORE!

Also, I have been playing Dinopark a lot recently, and I still can't do anything. Was it this hard when I was a kid? I made it through two years last time and then I tanked.