PDA

View Full Version : Impossible chess flash game

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Thinking Machine 4: Play the Game (http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html)

I dare someone to beat the computer on this thing.

I'm not a chess player by any means, but I do like a challenge. This thing thinks through every move. I've lost every time. If you win, printscreen it, because I still think that it's impossible to win.

Goldenboko
02-14-2009, 02:04 AM
I doubt it's "impossible" I doubt they fit a chess super computer onto Java. You probably do have to be pretty good.

Madame Adequate
02-14-2009, 02:41 AM
I doubt it's "impossible" I doubt they fit a chess super computer onto Java. You probably do have to be pretty good.

The issue wasn't in building a computer powerful enough to play chess, it was in building one fast enough to run sufficiently good chess programs. The bigger feat was in running the thing fast enough that a quick game is viable. I agree that they likely haven't got it good enough yet that a championship-level program can get through a flash game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it played an extremely challenging game.

KentaRawr!
02-14-2009, 03:01 AM
It's not letting me castle. :mad2:

Edit: It's not impossible, but I'm blundering like nuts. D:

Edit 2: XD. I just noticed that it took the fool's mate into consideration in the opening.

The Man
02-14-2009, 03:04 AM
I'm :skull::skull::skull::skull: at chess :(

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 03:17 AM
I've been watching chess strategies and things to get the basic idea... jrobichess on YouTube. But regardless of what I do, there's always a hole in my plans, and the computer's are kosher. :mad2:

Kes
02-14-2009, 06:20 AM
It's very pretty, which is good, because at least I can watch the pretty while I get my butt kicked.

Loony BoB
02-14-2009, 09:36 AM
For some reason I can't find the game. Just instructions.

Aerith's Knight
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
For such a great player he sure seems to suck. He plays like a freaking newbie. I play 4 moves and we've exchanged queens(because he played stupid opening moves), wtf kind of noob player does that? The idea of the game is to win pieces or to gain strength by sacrificing smaller pieces to gain stronger ones.

..Just to exchange them makes for a lousy game.

Also, it'd be a lot faster if it didn't have the stupid flashes.

Big D
02-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Sneaky bastard machine ponders every possible move and counter-move each time you do something. Hardly seems fair:p

While the computer may win nearly every time, at least I can make my moves a lot faster...

Aerith's Knight
02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
This one isn't even that bad, I've played a computer chess game that calculated 12 steps ahead on every possible move and counter-move.

God, that was a fast beat. xD

Goldenboko
02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
For such a great player he sure seems to suck. He plays like a freaking newbie. I play 4 moves and we've exchanged queens(because he played stupid opening moves), wtf kind of noob player does that? The idea of the game is to win pieces or to gain strength by sacrificing smaller pieces to gain stronger ones.

..Just to exchange them makes for a lousy game.

Also, it'd be a lot faster if it didn't have the stupid flashes.

Not always, PuPu is much better then me, especially at fooling me into pins with most pieces, where me having a Queen makes that much easier, so exchanging Queens theoretically gives no one an advantage, but in actuality it helped him. xD

Bunny
02-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Actually, the point of the game is to win. Did you win?

Aerith's Knight
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM
For such a great player he sure seems to suck. He plays like a freaking newbie. I play 4 moves and we've exchanged queens(because he played stupid opening moves), wtf kind of noob player does that? The idea of the game is to win pieces or to gain strength by sacrificing smaller pieces to gain stronger ones.Actually, the point of the game is to win. Did you win?

That time I restarted, but I won the fifth game.

demondude
02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Pic, or it didn't happen. =p

Aerith's Knight
02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Pic, or it didn't happen. =p

After that, I played once more, just for you.

http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/3/2/14/f_YesIdidwinm_f286f37.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/2/14/f_YesIdidwinm_f286f37.jpg&srv=img34)

I've played harder human players. This software becomes predictable after you figure it out.

demondude
02-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Fair enough then, well done!

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow.

Splendiferus Awesome Award goes to Aerith's Knight! :happybday

KentaRawr!
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Whatever happened to our old Chess Tourney? People were joining, we had just enough players, and then *splat* everyone forgot about it. :/

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd be interested. For some reason this a lot of fun to me...

KentaRawr!
02-14-2009, 06:34 PM
So would I. :o Maybe we could start a new one.

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 06:58 PM
That would be kewl. :cool:

ps

I've never been so pissed at a computer in my life. This thing sets it up perfectly, and eliminates my minor pieces like it was planned before I was born. Just when I think my plan is about to come together, he checks me, and then knocks out a minor piece. Check, minor piece. Check, minor piece. He chases me around the board and just completely dominates me. PESSED OFF

demondude
02-14-2009, 06:59 PM
For a chess flash, this is surprisingly addictive.

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I was heading for a definite win, but accidentally deselected my rook by clicking a a square he could move to. The square in question was a safe place for the computer's bishop to be. This pissed me off, so I left.

But yeah, as I said: it was actually a definite win, were it not for my :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty clicking. Wasn't as impressive as AKs win though. Not by far. xD

Aerith's Knight
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Tip for everyone: You can defeat him by sacrificing pieces. Like a novice, he will always go after them instead of looking ahead 2 or 3 moves.

That's pretty much the reason why he has more pieces, but still lost.

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2009, 11:21 PM
That's pretty much how I was going to win. I sacrifice any piece that I can get away with, as long as it keeps the opponent out of the way of my plan, whatever that may be at the time.

wazza
01-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Thinking Machine 4: Play the Game (http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html)

I dare someone to beat the computer on this thing.

I'm not a chess player by any means, but I do like a challenge. This thing thinks through every move. I've lost every time. If you win, printscreen it, because I still think that it's impossible to win.

Keep trying, its all genuine, you have just got to be a good player. I have just uploaded a file with a print out to prove.

Aerith's Knight
01-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Dude, this thread was dead a year ago, don't revive it.