PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Music Game?

Laddy
02-14-2009, 04:32 AM
What would be your ultimate music game? Mine would be a Rock Band-esque game, but instead of actually playing the music, you create and serve as a manager for the band, and your band gains a selection of genre identity and you have to appeal to it, but you must appeal to your fanbase and you can choose some famous songs and have a simplistic but large tool to create various songs.

Oh, and I might post the song list later.

So, what about you?

The Man
02-14-2009, 04:35 AM
My ultimate music game is called "Recording Studio." Basically, you write music, and then you record it. Quaint, I know.

In case it wasn't evident, I think Guitar Hero et al. are kind of silly. With all the time people put into them, they could just learn a real instrument. Of course, the learning curve isn't as steep with Guitar Hero etc., but instruments are so much more versatile.

Brennan
02-14-2009, 04:39 AM
I don't have a wide selection of games in this genre, but Rock Band 2 was pretty awesome (Chop Suey ftw!)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-14-2009, 04:44 AM
For me, the ultimate music game already exists, and it's called Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan.

The Man
02-14-2009, 04:52 AM
After reading the Wikipedia article on that, I can see why the content had to be altered for the Western market release; very few people here would have understood it. Too bad they chose a lot of crap artists for the Western version. The Japanese one looks fairly interesting though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-14-2009, 04:56 AM
I think the concepts are universally funny, even if you don't know the cultural background for them. But Nintendo clearly disagreed: Elite Beat Agents, the Western sequel, misses the tone (and the point) entirely.

The Man
02-14-2009, 04:58 AM
That blows. The article doesn't really include much information on the backgrounds of any of the scenarios, so I don't know much about the humour involved. There probably isn't a translation, either, so it'd be kind of pointless trying to learn more. Unless you feel like disproving me :monster:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-14-2009, 05:04 AM
It doesn't even need a translation, to be honest. The scenarios play out like a scantly-animated comic book, and they're expressive enough that you can understand them even if you can't read any of the text -- a testament to how accessible they really are.

The Man
02-14-2009, 05:14 AM
I may have to check that out if I ever get a DS then. :monster:

Clouded Sky
02-14-2009, 05:39 AM
Jubeat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubeat).

When I get back out of the wilderness to Tokyo I will be spending a lot of time with my new friend. 16 buttons of wonderful rhythm joyness and online multiplayer built into the cabinet. I really enjoy this game.

Vćrn
02-14-2009, 06:21 AM
88-Key MIDI Keyboard Hero. It's only a matter of time.

The Turk
02-14-2009, 04:36 PM
The ultimate music game would be about a paper thin rapping Dog named Parappa. Vib Ribbon is also a perfect music game imo.

RedWiz
02-14-2009, 06:10 PM
I would have to say something like a music challenge game. Like, a scene from an old video game would pop up and play, and your job is to record a track (using various sounds and instruments) that best fits the scene. I have no idea how that would work, but I know I'd enjoy it. Challenges could go from simple (Pong :p) to hard (Boss battle/Overworld themes)

Jessweeee♪
02-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Stepmania is good enough for me! I just need a dance mat for it :</>|

Markus. D
02-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Stepmania is good enough for me! I just need a dance mat for it :</>|

That and the edit/sync area also has some pretty in-depth functions like quantizing and etc.