PDA

View Full Version : "Renzokuken"

Cyric
02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Is it even a word? Or is it just another misspelled word?

I'm playing FFI (NES) right now, and I ran into a couple of Kyzoku's. I got the sudden urge to type it into a Japanese-English (online) translator, and nothing came up. Then I made an educated guess that it means "pirate" in english and I typed it in to translate it into Japanese and it came up with "kaizoku".

Then I tried translating "renzokuken" into english and again, nothing. I've tried a few other variations in japanese that would've sounded the same and still haven't gotten anything. I swear, the japanese-to-english translators that they have working on these games really need to be replaced with people that aren't afraid of translating EXACTLY what it means in english. I know some stuff doesn't have a direct translation, but they could at least TRY.

MJN SEIFER
02-14-2009, 08:51 PM
I remember that I read somewhere that it meant "Continuing Swords", but I can't remember where, so I can't back up my claims sadly.:(

Wolfen
02-14-2009, 09:06 PM
The literal translation of the intro to FF6 sucks compared to the official ones. I like the liberties they take with the translations, like "Aerith" to "Aeris" and "Tina" to "Terra."

You also have to keep in mind that those translations were from 20 years ago. Not to mention they prolly had to change some words in order to fit the limits.

Cyric
02-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I remember that I read somewhere that it meant "Continuing Swords", but I can't remember where, so I can't back up my claims sadly.:(

AH! There we go.

"renzoku" = serial; consecutive; continuity; occurring in succession; continuing

"ken" = sword

of course, the one variation I neglected to try...lol...

...and as a little extra, "zantetsuken" = sword that cuts iron

Here's my source:
Japanese <-> English Dictionary Server (http://enterprise.ottix.net/cgi-bin/j-e/dict)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah, Renzokuken is "Continuous Sword." The FFVIII demo included with Brave Fencer Musashi actually had it translated as "C. Sword."

Momiji
02-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Hm! I had always wondered what that meant, but never bothered to look it up. :D