PDA

View Full Version : Single Genre or Broad Range?

Flying Mullet
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
When you listen to music, do you find yourself drawn to the same genre over and over again or do you tend to listen to music from several different genres?

I noticed that I tend to listen to music from the same genre for a week or so, until I tire of it. Then I'll move onto another genre and the cycle repeats.

Miriel
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I listen to a pretty wide range of genres, but what I will do is hook onto a certain song for a week or two and listen to it over and over again and then completely get sick of it and move on to another song. That's probably a bad habit though cause I end up hating songs that I used to really like.

Gwawr
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I do something similar. As a musician I have a wide range of tastes, but I'll listen to a song on repeat forever until I've ruined it for myself.

I tend to find it harder to ruin classical music. Not because it's better or worse than popular, but because the pieces are longer.

Darkswordofchaos
02-16-2009, 09:29 PM
I listin to songs i think are good from a wide variety of genres

Tavrobel
02-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I usually listen to a few types of music, but there's sometimes a suggestion from a friend for something I don't normally listen to.

Momiji
02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
I usually listen to a few different genres, but I'll fixate on one for a while until I get bored with it, then I'll cycle through genres.

Balzac
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Depends on my mood. When I'm working I tend to listen to one genre, if not I stick the playlist on random and listen to anything and everything that I have.

LunarWeaver
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I poke my privates into a few genres now and then, usually on friend recommendation, but I usually stick to fluffy pop music that enhances my stereotype.

Caraliz
02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll just want to listen to ambient, sometimes indie, sometimes rap, sometimes just death metal, idk what I'm going to be into from one moment to the next. That's why I really need an mp3 player with humongous capacity.

The Man
02-17-2009, 12:06 AM
I listen to metal more than any other genre, followed by progressive rock, but apart from those two genres I have a wide variety of stuff that I'll listen to, though most of it is tangentially related to rock. My music taste, like Liz's, is highly unpredictable though; it varies depending on moods.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I listen to a lot of genres! My music tastes have changed a lot in just the past two years, and pretty much the only thing I don't listen to is country (just can't get into it for some reason!) and most music from before 1990 xD

Monkey4Soul
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Like you, I'll listen to one genre for about 3 days-a week, then I'll switch.

Sergeant Hartman
02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I like to listen to certain genres for a few days then move on. But also, I always listen to entire albums from start to finish, I hardly ever listen to single tracks.

Rocket Edge
02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I've been told I have an eclectic taste in music. Hell I mean, right now I'm listening to The Platters. But honestly, I do listen to alot of genres, and in the way that Flying Mullet decribes. I'd listen to rap maybe for a couple of weeks straight, then trance and so on.

Laddy
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
My likes are larger than my dislikes...

Nominus Experse
02-18-2009, 02:26 AM
I generally seem to cycle through two or three genres every few days, but a constant is always EBM/Industrial/Gothic.

Moon Rabbits
02-18-2009, 04:37 AM
According to my Facebook, this is what music I like:

kate bush, marilyn manson, blonde redhead, shonen knife, utada hikaru, bauhaus, juma, onitsuka chihiro, nakashima mika, BANA, tsukiko amani, king missile, HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR, concrete blonde, oldfish, rumblefish, gala, late night alumni, ai otsuka, tegan and sara, jamiroquai, shibasaki kou, mindless self indulgence, yangpa, leftover crack, choking victim, the weepies, k-os, lupe fiasco, snoop dogg, suzanne vega, radiohead, missy elliott, mickey avalon, akira yamaoka, melissa williamson / mary elizabeth mcglynn, owen pallet, nobuo uematsu, HALCALI, cypress hill, bjork, santogold, onyx, goon moon, chad vangaalen, xiu xiu, ten in the swear jar, powerman 5000, dirty sanchez, frankmusik, alphabeat, rasputina, little boots, annie lennox, eurythmics, grace jones, billie holiday, nina simone, yoko ono, IBOPA, passion pit, cherish, santa esmerelda, meiko kaji, corinne bailey rae, scissor sisters, tv on the radio, heather small, dido, lady gaga

Pretty damned broad if you ask me :greenie:

Loony BoB
02-18-2009, 01:52 PM
When listening to music, I don't like to go from very fast to very slow etc, but otherwise it's fairly broad in selection. But piano solos etc. shouldn't be mixed in with rap or pop or rock or whatever, so yeah. :p

rubah
02-18-2009, 03:43 PM
A friend of mine's music field on Facebook is this

f I could fit all the music I liked on a facebook box, would you even bother hanging out with me anymore?
I thought not.

I guess I come back to the old standby of rock'n'roll more often than not, but even rock is pretty huge.

Zeldy
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Always rock, in some way of another. Although within that genre I go for riot grrl, nu-metal, alternative, metal.. so I'm pretty diverse in that aspect.

Alex151
02-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Let me start out by saying, music is my life.

I listen to generally anything, preferably not country, though I'll take some. I do usually go through genre kicks though, and then more specifically, band kicks. I'll listen to a certain genre for random amounts of time, sometimes months, sometimes weeks, not usually days though.

Usually I make my genre flip when I hear one of my more favorite bands or rappers, or whatever, then I proceed to discect my music knowledge on that genre, and listen to it for a long time.

Lately I've been in a big Finch kick, but, not having been on here for a long time, and seeing my fall of troy banner, I just started listening to them again.

I definitely overplay songs a bit, or even cd's, but very few do I actually ruin, I just get tired of them quicker when I listen to them again. Some music though, I can't ruin.

escobert
02-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Depends on my mood! or just whatever is stuck in my head :p

Jiro
02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I usually listen to a wide range of music, but during a week or so I'll listen to one band more than others. That changes from week to week, but I still maintain a healthy mix :)

Tama2
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
The big thing I've been stuck in lately is psychobilly. But I do listen to anything at any given time. I guess I'm spontaneous.