PDA

View Full Version : Is Quistis jealous of Rinoa?

Dr. Casey
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/Update%203-2/ePSXe2006-05-0320-08-52-46.jpg

How do you think this line should be interpreted? Is Quistis making a simple statement, or is there a "So where's the bitch that succeeded where I failed" sentiment behind it? Because if the latter is how that line's intended, that Quistis apparently has a lot of venom towards Rinoa.

Are there any other instances of Quistis displaying resentment towards Rinoa? Do you think Quistis is justified in having such feelings, or should she stop being selfish and simply be glad that two of her best friends in the world have found true love?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-16-2009, 10:21 PM
I think that's just her usual glib personality. "Princess" is a reference to Rinoa's status among the Timber Owls, and she'd been giving Squall a hard time about his attitude since the beginning of the game.

PeneloRatsbane
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
i'd feel jealous if i were Quistis, they never used her character to her full pontential and Squall's Rinoa love comes on very quickly. its sweet and all but it has to be a kick in the teeth

trancekuja
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Hahaha,you named him Robert!

cloud21zidane16
02-16-2009, 11:49 PM
She seemed to dislike her a little in disc 1, I cant remember exactly but she mentioned the skills of SeeD a few times to try and exclude Rinoa:roll2

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2009, 12:07 AM

That screenshot is actually from Leovinus's Let's Play (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/) of the game, which absolutely everyone should read.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2009, 04:29 AM
During the flashback at the orphanage, she says something like "I gave up once Rinoa came into the picture." so I'm thinking yeah.

The Man
02-17-2009, 05:03 AM

That screenshot is actually from Leovinus's Let's Play (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/) of the game, which absolutely everyone should read.

That is ridiculously hilarious.

nik0tine
02-17-2009, 05:28 AM
During the flashback at the orphanage, she says something like "I gave up once Rinoa came into the picture." so I'm thinking yeah.
She is clearly jealous. This scene illustrates that. However, her jealousy does not go so far as to affect her behavior.

PeneloRatsbane
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
She is clearly jealous. This scene illustrates that. However, her jealousy does not go so far as to affect her behavior.

this is the reason i liked the character, she was strong and she dealt with her issues privately, no big scenes or temper tantrums, just a sad unrequited love, gave her much needed depth

MJN SEIFER
02-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Funny, that line convinced me she wasn't jealous of Rinoa. I guess somethings can give different messages.

hhr1dluv
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
^I actually have a hard time understanding how that line would make you think that she wasn't jealous...unless, maybe you think that when Quistis gives up that she's 'over' Squall? I always read that line as that of a woman who's been beaten...losing the one she wanted to someone else. The fact that Quistis would give up so easily is either very sad...or it adds to the Squall/Rinoa connection.

Anyway, when in the game does Quistis say that? Is it after they remember their pasts? I had heard that Quistis believes that her feelings were actually just her dealing with her veiled childhood memories of Squall. Of course, claiming that you had no feelings to begin with is an old standby for girls who've been rejected. Poor Quistis. :heart:

MJN SEIFER
02-18-2009, 10:31 PM
^I actually have a hard time understanding how that line would make you think that she wasn't jealous...unless, maybe you think that when Quistis gives up that she's 'over' Squall? I always read that line as that of a woman who's been beaten...losing the one she wanted to someone else. The fact that Quistis would give up so easily is either very sad...or it adds to the Squall/Rinoa connection.

You're pretty close, I interpetted that line as someone who has come to terms that he is with someone else, the feelings are still there, but she nderstands, it's actually quite admirable. I do sympathise, despite the fact I am a S/R fan. Square very rarely premote jealousy, at least not for very long. FFVII is a good example.

^Anyway, when in the game does Quistis say that? Is it after they remember their pasts?

Yes it is.

Big D
02-21-2009, 10:14 PM
During the orphanage scene, when she finally talks about her feelings, it's obvious that she's pretty cut up about what's happened - but she doesn't seem to blame Rinoa for it.

I'd be very surprised if she wasn't a little jealous though. She's known Squall since they were basically infants, she's fancied him for a long time, then Seifer's ex turns up out of the blue and inserts herself into Squall's affections? That's pretty harsh.

In my opinion, Quistis deserved a hell of a lot more screentime than the game gave her. Plus, I'm a sucker for love stories with unhappy endings:D

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2009, 10:44 PM
IMHO I think voice acting would benefit her a lot xD

blackmage_nuke
03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
She might be jealous but i dont think that scene in the airship was meant to be anything more than a small running joke. (see attachment)
Not unless Zell has the hots for Squall too (not entirely impossible)
Its hard to tell when theyre being sarcastic.

Jeyel
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
i think she's really jealous but doesn't really voice it out directly. I think she even said:
"Rinoa forces herself into your world, no matter how many walls you put around yourself, Squall."
"I knew I couldn't compete with her."
"The only issue was whether you would make a place for her..."
"And you did, pretty quickly."

http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest/banners/rinoa.jpg (http://www.ff-fan.com)
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You? (http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest)
Final Fantasy 7 (http://www.ff-fan.com/final-fantasy-7)

Heath
04-30-2009, 10:45 PM

It's probably the best aspect of Final Fantasy VIII.

I think generally Quistis was a little jealous, but I don't think she particularly resents Rinoa for it. I always got the impression that there were various aspects of Rinoa's personality that Quistis wasn't terribly keen on, but I don't believe that she disliked Rinoa due to her relationship with Squall.

Qurange
05-14-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm inclined to think yes, but not the way that might be obvious. Quistis is jealous of what they have, but not necessarily of just being with Squall--I think it was accurate when she said that she mistook her feelings and they weren't what she thought, but she still wants someone. She has other lines where she wonders whether someone would do the things Squall does for Rinoa for her, for instance, so it's not exactly /him/ precisely, by this point. And, her being her, she doesn't resent them for it because it wouldn't do her any good, and she's had time to think about it.

scrumpleberry
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
She is, but I don't think she dislikes Rinoa as a person.

(tbh Quistis can do better than Squall, and yeah she figured out she didn't really like him as much as the idea of being with someone)

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Quistis was probably jealous for a little while but she wasn't jealous enough to do something about it. She just suffered in silence while Rinoa got closer and closer to Squall. By the way when Quistis completed Squall's sentences was that her kooky way of flirting with Squall?

*Omega Peach*
05-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Rinoa is better than Quistis, end of story :peach:

Qurange
05-17-2009, 01:39 PM
That's a little unrelated to the question at hand, isn't it? Besides, that's not really how it is.

Depression Moon
05-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Squall should have went with her. The kinky librarian with a whip is a lot hotter than miss possessed by an evil sorceress.

*Omega Peach*
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I just think Quistis had some emotional problems. I didn't like the scene when she was telling Squall all her problems, Squall has enough issues between his emotion and personality. It was like she was trying to give them to him, when he really doen't need that :peach:

Christmas
02-19-2023, 03:17 AM
Yes. Quistis is unable to let Squall taste some of her hard leather whipping while Rinoa gets to embrace the latter's blasting zone. :chocobo:

Vincent, Thunder God
02-20-2023, 03:24 PM
Quistis - is not jealous of Rinoa, no.