PDA

View Full Version : Square offer to buy Eidos.

Balzac
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Bloomberg.com: U.K. & Ireland (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aCo9xIhnuQ2U&refer=uk)

Thoughts?

Darkswordofchaos
02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
a guess looking to "broadin their horizons" but dosent edios make like tomb raider and hit man games, stuff of that type. That dosent really seem like thats up square's alley

Shoeberto
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Square's been looking to publish more western-friendly titles recently, e.g. publishing Supreme Commander 2, the announcement that FFXIII would come out on the 360 in the west, etc., so it's not terribly surprising. Though really I don't see it doing much for them unless Eidos' studios either put out a great new IP or really do something innovative with their current ones. They did a decent revamp of Tomb Raider but people are showing that they just don't care about Lara Croft that much anymore. Kane and Lynch was a bomb. They have some other fantastic IPs but they just don't really seem to want to work with them anymore - Hitman, Thief, etc.

I dunno, I don't see it being that great of a deal for Square. They get to push some new games through this, but not really anything I'd expect to sell particularly well.

nik0tine
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
The best game Eidos made was Gex. I really hope they don't do this. They have turned out lower quality products after they merged with Enix and I have every reason to believe their products will become even more Shoddy if they buy out Eidos.

FFXII excluded, of course.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 12:50 AM
The best game Eidos made was Gex.

Wrong. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain:_Soul_Reaver)

Anyway, I look forward to Square buying them and kick starting the Kain series again with Nomura as the character designer and a wonderful array of belts cloaking Kain's undead form. :roll2

Balzac
02-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Both wrong. Crystal Dynamics made both. Eidos just published them.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 01:30 AM

Crystal Dynamics is a development team wholly owned by Eidos. Therefore our points stand.

Tasura
02-17-2009, 01:35 AM

Crystal Dynamics is a development team wholly owned by Eidos. Therefore our points stand.

Actually, Balzac's right, Crystal Dynamics was only bought by Eidos after the first of the Gex and Legacy of Kain series were already on the market.

Balzac
02-17-2009, 01:35 AM
My Mistake, but I thought Gex was made before the aquisition, I wasn't sure the the release date of Soul Reaver.

Edit: Lol, thanks Chaos Is the Key.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Still, Legacy of Kain is the best IP Eidos has. Shame I wouldn't trust Square to do anything good with it.

Wolf Kanno
02-17-2009, 05:44 AM
Still, Legacy of Kain is the best IP Eidos has. Shame I wouldn't trust Square to do anything good with it.

Imagine Konami buying them and letting Kojima head a new Kain title. It would be more convulated than it already is now.:D

Seriously, why does it seem SE only wants to buy bad companies, beyond the fact that bad companies are cheaper... :meh:

Loony BoB
02-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Timesplitters, Timesplitters 2 and Warzone 2100 are all fantastic games. I'd agree that Eidos don't stick around for long enough with their better stuff for that reason. Having said all that, it won't hurt SE to tap Eidos' portion of the gaming market. Would this be another name change, though? Will we see SEE soon? :p

Laddy
02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Eidos makes mediocre games for the most part, so this could make them or break them completely.

But seriously, who wants a Final Fantasy Lara Croft? I don't.

Balzac
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Eidos makes mediocre games for the most part, so this could make them or break them completely.

Well there's always that option of you know, not buying it if they do happen to release one.

Laddy
02-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Well there's always that option of you know, not buying it if they do happen to release one.That's precisely what I said, so don't treat me like an idiot because of it.

Rocket Edge
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Maybe they bought it to cater more to its European Market. As far as I know it was a British built group. As someone else mentioned earlier though, they should build on their earlier successes. Warzone 2100 is one of my favourite games. If this mean't any sort of sequel to the game then I would be over the moon.

I think Square will have positive intentions.

Rase
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM
If this somehow leads to a resurrection of the Thief series that does not suck I will be very pleased. (Un)fortunately I'm not holding my breath too much for this to happen.

Wolf Kanno
02-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Timesplitters, Timesplitters 2 and Warzone 2100 are all fantastic games. I'd agree that Eidos don't stick around for long enough with their better stuff for that reason. Having said all that, it won't hurt SE to tap Eidos' portion of the gaming market. Would this be another name change, though? Will we see SEE soon? :p

Didn't the specific team that made Timesplitters break up and leave Eidos, after the last title? I thought I remember my friend saying something about this...

Loony BoB
02-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Pretty much.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 10:41 PM

Didn't the specific team that made Timesplitters break up and leave Eidos, after the last title? I thought I remember my friend saying something about this...

They were never owned by Eidos to begin with, Eidos merely published the first two Timesplitters, but Free Radical was independent to the best of my knowledge. And they did go into financial difficulty and were apparently bought by Crytek, though if I'm not mistaken, many of the key people at Free Radical had already left to start another company and took select members of the dev team with them.

Also, no SEE Bob. Purchasing a company isn't the same as merging with one, though you may have been joking with that comment for all I know.

Balzac
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Free Radical are currently working on Time Splitters 4.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-18-2009, 12:08 AM
They have turned out lower quality products after they merged with Enix and I have every reason to believe their products will become even more Shoddy if they buy out Eidos.

I'd love to know what those reasons are.

Shoeberto
02-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Free Radical are currently working on Time Splitters 4.

Are they indeed. (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/free-radical-design-latest-to-face-financial-trouble)
They were recently bought out by Crytek, though. Which means nothing on the state of Timesplitters 4, though the licensing rights were part of the deal. I don't remember if it was an actual quote or just speculation but I read something about Free Radical working to help Crytek get stuff ported to consoles since that's where their main experience lies.

Still, I'm hopeful Crytek just funds them so they can release TS4. I can almost guarantee it'd go over better commercially than Crysis did.

Balzac
02-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Lol, I don't see that quote.

Crimson
02-18-2009, 08:29 AM
If Square got full control over the development and they brought LoK back id die happy.

ljkkjlcm9
03-29-2009, 02:40 AM
I know the topic is old, but I figured this was significant enough to bump it!

During a shareholder meeting, shareholders voted whether or not to allow Square Enix to take over Eidos for $117 Million. Over 85 percent of voters voted in favor of the corporate takeover.

Eidos will suspend its shares on April 21st and will be delisted from the London Stock Exchange the very next day. Square Enix will officially own Eidos on May 6th, giving the major Japanese game maker access to Eidos' distribution network in America and Europe as well as possession of Eidos' franchises, including the storied Tomb Raider property.

THE JACKEL

Depression Moon
03-30-2009, 12:35 AM
It seems like a strange merge. I would be interested to see how it would turn out though. I don't think i've played a single game by Eidos, except uhh, who made EOE and Primal?