PDA

View Full Version : watchmen

sir helix
02-17-2009, 02:54 AM
The comic of watchmen was amazing, and i'm realy exited for the movie. so who else is exited about it, and out of other comics in the world, which would you like to see 0n the big screen.

personaly id love to see the sandman series put in movie form, the part where Dream encounters Dr. D in the cafe would rock.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm greatly looking forward to the Watchmen film.

As much as I love Sandman (and I do consider it the greatest comic ever written, even above Watchmen), I wouldn't want to see it in movie form unless it was written by Neil Gaiman and a stand alone story most likely. They could never do a movie series long enough to do the over arching story of the entire run justice, and any attempt to do just a piece of it would probably leave me feeling a little empty after leaving the theater.

sir helix
02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
if any one but Gaiman wrote it, hell would freeze over and etc etc.

Gaiman wrote Coraline, which took 5 years to get onto the big screen, unfortunatly i havent been able to read it yet.

some movies actuley do the comics justice, look at hellboy, sure it was a great comic, but there wasnt realy a main plot beside rasputin appearing every now and then to get his ass kicked.

edczxcvbnm
02-17-2009, 03:46 AM
I am highly anticipating watchmen and the altered ending does not bother me one bit. The fact of the matter is that stuff has to be cut from the comic or else we would end up with a 6 hour epic and considering that the movie is already 2:40 leaving most everything in tact plus a special edition DVD that will clock in at 4 hours because it splices in Tales of the Black Frieghter, this is a minor gripe that I can easily over look.

The fact that this movie is coming out with little stripped out and little toned down is a miracle. Just from the preview there are minor things I am surprised the left in such as the funeral. They could have easily added a few lines of dialog to another scene to explain what happened there and save that time. This is just an example but I think most everything will be there as much as possible.

I don't know what other comics I would like to see a movie of. I hear they are doing a live action Akira...maybe this time the movie will not suck. The original cartoon needed at least another 30 minutes and less trippy BS to sew that story together and give a better impression of the characters and motives and blah blah blah.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2009, 04:29 AM
Yeah looking forward to this. I think it's gonna be good.

Sandman is amazing but no way would it work as a movie. The world is too rich and complex and even cutting it down to one Gaiman-written story would be grossly missing so much.

The other thing which came to mind was Transmetropolitan. But I think that, although not as problematic as Sandman would be, Transmet would still lose much too much in the change. You need all those little side stories for the thing as a whole to work, and they just couldn't get into a movie.

Wolf Kanno
02-17-2009, 06:07 AM
I don't know what other comics I would like to see a movie of. I hear they are doing a live action Akira...maybe this time the movie will not suck. The original cartoon needed at least another 30 minutes and less trippy BS to sew that story together and give a better impression of the characters and motives and blah blah blah.

I don't think its possible to make a movie version of Akira and do the Manga justice. Its long, it had so many different layers to its political/social commentary and we don't need to expose a generation to the great question of "what the smurf happened to Kanaeda after Akira blew up Neo-Tokyo?"

I'm against the transfer of one medium to another, especially when Hollywood is involved but I then it struck me that I would love to see someone try their hand at making Osama Tezuka's Phoenix into a feature film, despite it being episodic and unfinished... I heard they are making an anime series but a feature film would probably do it better justice actually. This is a rather odd statement coming from me...:eep:

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Cant wait for this and the whole 4 hour epic directors cut (when it comes out on dvd lol)!

:)

The Man
02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'd like to see a good film made of From Hell; the one with Johnny Depp doesn't count (shame, because Depp is a very good actor). The only other comic I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned and/or isn't already in development is The Invisibles, but there was already a film made of that as well and it was called The Matrix. (The sequels don't exist).

And yeah, the Watchmen film looks just about as good as I can imagine it being. Here's hoping it lives up to expectations.

Slothy
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Sandman is amazing but no way would it work as a movie. The world is too rich and complex and even cutting it down to one Gaiman-written story would be grossly missing so much.

Agreed, but I do think a Gaiman penned, stand alone screenplay would be the only chance a Sandman movie would have of even remotely pleasing fans and not totally confusing the uninitiated. Sadly, unless it focused entirely on being a stand alone story for fans of the comics it'd probably still fail at both rather than just one of the two.

There are a lot of comics that work well as movies, but something as complex and lengthy as Sandman isn't one of them.

sir helix
02-21-2009, 04:25 AM
another realy good comic i read was identity crisis, it would make a great mystery film, even though its marvel heros, im still shocked from it.