PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star

The Last Ancient
02-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi, just wondering if any of the phantasy star games are worth playing. I just bout the Sonic Collection thing and it has 2, 3, and 4 on there. I'm looking for a good story and wondering if any of them have a good one or if its just the typical evil guy destroying the world thing.

edczxcvbnm
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Phantasy Star 3 is the black sheep of the series but it does have a very interesting concept. You play through 3 generations of people. At the end of the first 2 generations of story you choose between two people and have kids and then you take control of those kids years later. This creates separate paths and stories to take on. Kind of interesting and I had fun with it back in the day. I cannot remember story specifics for the life of me but I do think that there is no one bad guy that wants to destroy it all due to the different story paths you can take...maybe there are a crap ton of bad guys who want to destroy it all XD

Phantasy Star 4 is good though. I can't remember much about the story though.

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't care what anybody says, I liked Phantasy Star Universe! xD

Vermachtnis
02-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Phantasy Star 2 and 4 are epic. 3 is good too, but not as epic. Like ed said, it's interesting none the less. And I believe Phantasy Star 2 is one of the games everyone has to play at least once in their life. The dungeons are hard and pretty unforgiving. The story is very interesting too. Especially when the enemies change from biological to mechanical halfway through and one of the best characters starts to suck and one of the more sucky characters becomes awesome.

Dreddz
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Phantasy Star II is one of the greatest RPGs ever. Get over the difficulty hump and you'll know what I'm talking about. Its a damn shame the first Phantasy Star isn't included as well.

And don't think Phantasy Star III is bad in any way, its just the weakest in the series.

Krelian
02-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Phantasy Star is included as well. It's an unlockable game and I forgot the requirements, but a quick google search comes up with "Phantasy Star - Sonic 2: Defeat the first boss with two players". So do that and you can enjoy all four games in the right order.

ljkkjlcm9
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't care what anybody says, I liked Phantasy Star Universe! xD

AS did I... but it got old and stale for me. I was pretty well known at one point on the PC/PS2 server.

I am looking forward to Phantasy Star Zero for the DS

THE JACKEL

Elly
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
because i started on PS back when PSII came out i had a bad impression of FF and would not give FF a chance, i thaught the characters standing on one side waving their weapons at enemies then said enemies dying was kinda stuped, whereas in PS the characters ran right up there and attacked, years later after beating PSIV for the upteenth time i finaly decide to give the new FFVII a chance and have loved FF since...

anyway i've played the original PS and loved it, it's unique feature in the series was the first person perspective dungeons, if you play that one i sugest having some graph paper on hand for the dungeons...
PSII was an awesome game but it's the hardest one in the series, i would sugest a guide as to this day i still find those dungeons brutal...
PSIII was my 2nd favorite and have beaten it on many different generational paths...
PSIV is my all time favorite probably because of the macros and awesome story, the best in the series in my opinion...
PSO was really fun as well as far as multiplayer goes i had a blast with it, i never played PSU wish i had though but i was in a bit of a money crunch when it came out...

now i can't wait for PS0 to come to the DS; and PSP to come to the PSP...

Vyk
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Phantasy Star 4 was for the Genesis what Final Fantasy 3/6 was for the SNES. And Xenogears and Final Fantasy 7 was for the PS1. FFX was for PS2. KOToR was for XBox. *Breathe* If you don't feel like going back and starting with the more brutal games with choppier graphics, at least give that one a try.

Zeldy
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Phantasy star online episode 1 & 2 on the gamecube has to be my ultimate favourite game - I didn't care much for episode 3 or Universe though. I liked BlueBurst on the PC and I've heard the next Phantasy Star is more like episode 1 & 2 so I can't wait to try it :love:

Jessweeee♪
02-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Phantasy Star Universe (plus AOTI) was the only one in the series I played, and I loved it n.n

I only played story mode, though, so I can't tell you much about the online play.

Aerith's Knight
02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Phantasy Star Universe was the only one in the series I played, and I loved it n.n

I only played story mode, though, so I can't tell you much about the online play.

Same here, just like the sequel. But apparently the new story is available in online play.

KentaRawr!
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I've only played the games in the Online series, sadly.

Alex151
02-20-2009, 01:29 AM
I can hardly remember one, two, or three, I didn't really play them for very long. Four was very good though, definitely worth a play. It's the same old bad guy trying to destroy the world story, but, none the less, still very good.

Big D
02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
I've got Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4 on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2, but with no proper instructions I've found them utterly unplayable. I'd like to get into them, but trying to work out every combat principle, ability, spell and item by trial and error is just boring and frustrating beyond measure.

I check GameFAQs now and then to see if some helpful fellow's posted a PS2-themed instruction book for these games, but no luck yet.

escobert
02-20-2009, 06:16 AM
I only ever played PSO for dreamcast.