PDA

View Full Version : I'm Mad at Melmond!

StormyV
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
I've never been one to grind for levels or gold so in the past 20 years of playing FF I've hated what the Nintendo Power Strategy Guide deemed "Chapter 2" with a passion.

You know, the Elf Prince, Marsh Cave, Astos thing...well here is what gets me. I always use a Thief (yea, I'm nuts, but that's another topic) and oft-use a Fighter and Red Mage so it makes me angry that the fine weapons called Long Sword and Falchion aren't available until after they'd be useful.

The Falchion is a no brainer as it has 2 extra attack points and 5 extra hit % points over the Sabre for the same price. Oh, Sabre, why must you have a mere 5% accuracy rating? You make my Thief want to stick with the Scimitar and deal extra crap damage just so he can hit something! With the Falchion in hand there would be less tears when it comes to Thiefly Ogre slaying.

And the Long Sword...at 1500G it's quite easy for even an impatient git like me to invest in one or two for a Fighter or Red Mage. Yes, it's no Silver Sword, but it's the logical progression between Short Sword and Silver Sword, and yet it is in Melmond, assuring no one will ever buy it. Wouldn't it be helpful during the Chapter 2 grind?

Well, that's always been a beef o' mine and I figured I'd just shout it from the mountaintops for a change. Yes, I used FF Hackster to put the Longsword and Falchion in Elfland in place of the crappy Sabre and the Iron Staff (just who was supposed to use THIS thing anyways?).

LONG SWORD AND FALCHION FOREVER!

Am I alone in my sentiments? Stop and think...have I ever actually used these weapons?

~ Kain ~
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Hmm... From Elfland to Cresent really is the slowest part of the game. Their is no great weapons available and the only good armor cost an hour of gameplay. Unfortunatly the only way to make this portion of the game easier is to do exactly what you despise and "grind" out some levels and GP.

Cyric
02-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Grind up to Level 10 around Elfland with the Sabre, then switch back to the Scimitar. Multiples of 32 in the Hit% is a WONDEROUS thing. ;)

Or, an alternate area to level-up with, if you want to avoid the status ailments of Geists, Scorpions and Werewolves, but with LOADS of Ogre and Creep encounters (decent EXP, and loads of GP): Fight around Matoya's Cave.

Flying Mullet
02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
I always wondered if the weapon shops in Elfland and Melmond were switched by accident.

StormyV
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm posing the question of the placement of the Falchion and Long Sword, not looking for tips on how to gain levels in a game I've beaten 50 times.

Look, I'm merely suggesting the placement of those two weapons (and the Vorpal, now that I think of it) renders them useless, when they could be a helpful and logical progression in weaponry were they available at a more rational time.

That's what makes Elfland such a grind. Your Fighter has a sword that costs 550G (and has the same stats as a Falchion that is 100G less, but I suppose you pay for convenience sometimes) and the next sword for him costs 4000G. Wouldn't the 1500G Longsword be the next logical step? Yes, but it's in the wrong weapon shop (says I).

So in short, I'm not looking for general tips so much as wondering if I was the only one who was wondering about the placement of these two items.

Cyric
02-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Have you tried switching their locations around with FFHackster? That would completely negate any problems/gripes you may have.

StormyV
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I sure did. Those Elfland Ogres felt the wrath of my 2 Longswords and Falchion, let me tell ya something!