PDA

View Full Version : I'm AFK

Captain Maxx Power
02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
OK, those of you who sit on MSN in constant busy status; go jump off a cliff or something. Seriously, what is the point of being online if you're not actually online? For fun? To wind me up? Because you're stupid?

Are you one of these people who goes onto instant messengers in constant Away status? And if so, WHY? :mad2::mad2:

escobert
02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I leave my away status up most of the time so people I don't feel like talking to wont just IM me out of the blue. :p

Momiji
02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Some people just set themselves to busy or away even when they're not away.

Because of this, I always disregard statuses and say whatever I want. :D

Yar
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I typically prefer to go busy/away than to log off, in case someone wants to leave me a message for when I get back or wake up.

I like PG's though. "Out to lunch." lolz

escobert
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
PG just wants to be like Bert who has used out for lunch for years!

Momiji
02-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I never put up statuses myself. It's more fun to leave myself set to available and never answer, waiting for annoyed comments. :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I usually set it to away or busy when I am actually away or busy doing something but don't want to get off of MSN. Like working on essays. :D

Tavrobel
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Some of us need the away or else some of us are going to get IM'd about a Touhou score when we are busy dealing with our DotA score. Or I'll be away for a short amount of time, and if there's a torrent running, no harm could hurt, especially since I get them fairly often from people seeking help. It's so nice to always be right.

scrumpleberry
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
:lol:

Balzac
02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I just set myself to offline and message the people I actually want to talk to. But for the past couple of days I've been set to online so I can talk to a certain friend who uses msn mobile. It doesn't allow to send to people offline for some reason, even if they are already talking.

Momiji
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Some of us need the away or else some of us are going to get IM'd about a Touhou score when we are busy dealing with our DotA score. Or I'll be away for a short amount of time, and if there's a torrent running, no harm could hurt, especially since I get them fairly often from people seeking help. It's so nice to always be right.

Alternately, I can be pulled out of a Touhou game by an IM why a certain someone can't appeal to a certain Ravens Fan. :p

Tavrobel
02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Alternately, I can be pulled out of a Touhou game by an IM why a certain someone can't appeal to a certain Ravens Fan. :p

She's actually the Redskins Fan right now. Taylor Swift is on her playlist, after all.

Momiji
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Semantics. :-/

Goldenboko
02-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I completely agree. However I'm the other extreme, I've been known to log on to see if someone I know is around, and quickly log off when I see no one is xD

Vermachtnis
02-18-2009, 07:26 PM
My away status comes on with my screen saver. I have my sound on so I can usually hear when people IM me anyway. The only time I can't hear and don't respond right away is when I'm watching a video full screen and am Busy. Otherwise I just sign out.

Yar
02-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I completely agree. However I'm the other extreme, I've been known to log on to see if someone I know is around, and quickly log off when I see no one is xD:mad2: For some reason, I don't think I'm ever that person.

Goldenboko
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I completely agree. However I'm the other extreme, I've been known to log on to see if someone I know is around, and quickly log off when I see no one is xD:mad2: For some reason, I don't think I'm ever that person.

iluyars :tongue:

Værn
02-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I usually just appear to be offline. Even if I'm not.

demondude
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Whenever I'm "away" I'm actually free. I'm only ever unable to talk when I'm on busy.

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
If I'm online but away, I am Away. If I'm working, I'm online but Busy. Otherwise I'm either Online or Offline.

I can't stand the people that LIE. If you don't wanna talk to someone, just block them.

rubah
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
My messangers are on when my computer is on.

If I put away status every time I'm away, people would whine 'omg why are you always gone'
If I don't put away status every time I'm away, people would whine 'omg, why do you never answer!'

The only solution therefore, is to never be IMed.

Jessweeee♪
02-18-2009, 10:37 PM
This is one of the reasons I prefer YIM to MSN. I can be visible to the people I wanna talk to, and invisible to others without having to block anyone.

And yeah, YOU GUYS ARE JERKS AND NEXT TIME I'M GONNA YELL AT EVERYONE WHO'S "BUSY" :mad2:

LunarWeaver
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
I block everybody except the person I want to talk to. I can't stand having more than one conversation going at once. I don't even know who half the people on my list are anyway.

Caraliz
02-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm always on away. Just cause. If you want to talk to me, talk to me.

Flying Mullet
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm always on away. Just cause. If you want to talk to me, talk to me.
Pretty much the same here. I often forget to change my status. Because of this, I never look at someone's status when I IM them.

blackmage_nuke
02-18-2009, 11:25 PM
I use to use the away status quite abit when i leave my computer but now as im desperate for contact and no one talks to me often I dont put a status on and turn the sound up so i know if anyone wants to talk.

Værn
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
And yeah, YOU GUYS ARE JERKS AND NEXT TIME I'M GONNA YELL AT EVERYONE WHO'S "BUSY" :mad2:
*Sets status to "Busy"*
:D

Shoeberto
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I just use auto-away after 5 minutes of inactivity on my computer. I never remember to change my status normally.

Balzac
02-19-2009, 12:05 AM
I have noticed on mine that when I'm using Maya, MSN seems to set its self to busy. Anyone else had this with brograms they use that don't full screen like a video?

rubah
02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I recall a lot of fullscreen programs doing that, stu

Rostum
02-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I never get that problem when using Maya.

I used to set my status to Away all the time, but now I just leave it as Online. There's a 50/50 chance I am there, but I just leave my computer on all the time and MSN is always signed in so people can just leave a quick message.

Anyone who gets pissed off from this fact seriously just need to disable their connection and go play outside for awhile.

Balzac
02-19-2009, 12:46 AM
I recall a lot of fullscreen programs doing that, stu

The way I worded that was weird. Maya doesn't go full full screen if you know what I mean. It maximizes but still sets my status to busy. It's kind of frustrating because I sometimes miss messages.

Markus. D
02-19-2009, 01:51 AM
If I'm away, well... I'm away.

If I'm busy, you're welcome to chat, I'm however probably playing GW.

Blue Harvest
02-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I never use the statuses. If it says I'm online and I don't reply it means I'm AFK. If I'm on I always reply.

Loony BoB
02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
I stay constantly on 'away' because that way people won't expect me to be there. Most of the time, I'm not there, so this means people are less likely to be disappointed following any amazing feeling they get of the possibility of me actually being at my computer.

Also, if I am at my PC and I don't feel like talking, then people can send me messages and I can just ignore them and they won't cry. Unless they're Maxx Power, in which case they'll bitch in a thread about it. :mad2: :mad2: :p

But yeah, it's just how I roll.

Peegee
02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
I use gimp now so I'm not out to lunch as much as away.

I don't even know why. You know I'm almost always at the pc anyway unless I'm:

- drunk
- partying
- sleeping
- eating
- passed out from the above

Zeldy
02-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, alot of the time I just wander off the computer in the middle of a conversation and come back half an hour later and my contacts are all offline. I GET DISTRACTED and I can never be bothered typing out 'BRB' a million times. I always sign in as 'Appear offline' to begin with though and only use the 'Busy' or 'Away' if I'm doing college work or I'm on a game.

Vermachtnis
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I use gimp now so I'm not out to lunch as much as away.

I don't even know why. You know I'm almost always at the pc anyway unless I'm:

- drunk
- partying
- sleeping
- eating
- passed out from the above

You pass out from sleeping? You should have that looked at :p

trancekuja
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
This may be controversial and extreme , but when I'm not in a chatting mood I just don't sign in...

qwertysaur
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
If I am busy/away, then I say I'm busy/away as a status message. If I don't feel like talking to people but am waiting for someone, I'm invisible. (Very rare) if I'm really busy, I sign off :p

Bunny
02-19-2009, 06:14 PM
The people who are online but set their status to 'busy/away' immediately are attention-seeking whores who should be burned at the stake.

I am only away if I am away.

Loony BoB
02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
How is it attention seeking? Surely that would have the opposite effect, given you're telling people you are unavailable for attention.

Bunny
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
How is it attention seeking? Surely that would have the opposite effect, given you're telling people you are unavailable for attention.

This thread is a prime example of it.

Nyxcronus
02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
My MSN status is permenantely away because I used to (and kind of still do) have a lot of people on my list that I don't know that well and wouldn't want to talk to that often but still keep because I would feel bad removing them.

People have already figured that I'm not really away though (even though sometimes I am, because I sometimes figure out that I have to leave/go out 5 minutes before I have to and don't turn off my computer) especially when I have music on and it shows on the status thing (again, not always on).

The Man
02-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I just use an auto-message to tell people I'm afk if I'm idle for more than five minutes, because I never remember to turn my away status off when I come back if I set it manually. That said I sometimes can't be arsed talking to everyone who messages me.