PDA

View Full Version : Making websites for dummies

Cid
02-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Okay, so I'm a teacher. And I teach on a "team" of other people. I teach history, and they teach math, science, and English. I have my own class website, but I wanted to set them up with something.

What can I use to create a way for them to edit/create pages that would be really intuitive and easy to use? Perhaps something like wiki... but even that might confuse them. What kind of script/news program/etc would work in this situation?

Ideally, I imagine something that would have a little "edit" button at the bottom where they could enter a username and password and then just select text and edit it.

Thoughts?

Momiji
02-20-2009, 06:29 AM
If I understand you right, a wiki seems like the best way to go, despite worries of complication. Wiki coding is pretty simple, after all, after you get the basics down.

Put it this way: If a bunch of Wikipedia vandals with the relative intelligence of a withered head of cabbage can learn basic wiki coding for vandalism, surely a group of teachers can manage. :D

Samuraid
02-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah, a wiki would be the way to go. Mediawiki is a powerful and popular one, but Dokuwiki (currently used for the EoFF wiki) is pretty light and fast and a bit easier to use.

Baloki
02-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Moodle is quite popular among education establishments atm.

Moodle.org: open-source community-based tools for learning (http://moodle.org/)

Cid
02-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'm looking into your recommendations to see what will work best.