PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis? Yes? No?

trancekuja
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Ever since it came up , Google Earth was often used to point out some controversial locations or structures. <a href= "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0On9A1fO8">This </a> is another one.

Alex151
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Anything is possible, so who knows. I think Atlantis could have been real. Though I don't know a ton of history on it, other than it was a supposed city underwater.

but who knows

Bunny
02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I think the possibility of Atlantis existing in some form or another, in the past, is very likely. However, I also think that the entire mythology and history of the supposed island has been extremely romanticized.

Momiji
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
What Bunny said. :p

Psychotic
02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
SINISTER MUSIC! IT MUST BE TRUE!

Flying Mullet
02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I say yes if only for the reason that it's fun to think about.

Zeromus_X
02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
SINISTER MUSIC! IT MUST BE TRUE!

I actually really like the music.

Well, I also think it's fun to think about.

Lacarus
02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe the Bermuda Triangle is actually Atlantis and the lights and other wierd stuff that happens when planes and ships cross could be eminating from the mystical energy source that Atlantis supposedly had invented. This is highly possible as Bermuda is directly west of where Altlantis should be. Maybe ancient sailers and geographers where incorrect.

Big D
02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Every few years, some crackpot adventurer declares that he's almost certainly found Atlantis, Noah's Ark, or some other colossal mythical relic. We never hear any follow-up on these stories, though...

As for Atlantis: Islands can, and do, sink due to volcanic eruption from time to time. It's entirely possible that this did indeed happen somewhere in the Mediterranean in millennia past, giving rise to the tales about Atlantis, and similar legends.

rubah
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Quick, someone send Dirk Pitt and NUMA to check it out!

Aerith's Knight
02-20-2009, 10:26 PM
The only real mention of Atlantis is one line in the journal of a greek philosopher. So we know nothing about it, yet conjecture seems to run very high.

Even if it were real, so what? An island sank due to vulcanic activity, big deal. The roman civilization rose to great scientific heights, then fell into the dark ages. Just because an island had some decent architecture doesn't make it a big spectacle.

Madame Adequate
02-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I prefer Lemuria personally, but then I just have to be different.

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2009, 01:14 AM
Well it looks like a man made structure but i dont think it's Atlantis.

Yar
02-21-2009, 01:15 AM
If you can provide definite evidence that Atlantis existed, I'll believe you. However, I don't want to take speculation as fact. :)

Bunny
02-21-2009, 01:16 AM
I prefer Lemuria personally, but then I just have to be different.

I was going to say something about Lemuria because it's more interesting than Atlantis is.

Meat Puppet
02-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Are you kidding? It’s obviously the remains of a former landing pad for intergalactic spinning ovals.

GameMasta
02-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Are you kidding? It’s obviously the remains of a former landing pad for intergalactic spinning ovals.

Well, yeah, of course. Didn't Aliens rule Atlantis?

escobert
02-22-2009, 09:12 PM
BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Google dismisses 'Atlantis find' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7903169.stm)

Caraliz
02-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh snap.

Goldenboko
02-22-2009, 10:32 PM
The only real mention of Atlantis is one line in the journal of a greek philosopher. So we know nothing about it, yet conjecture seems to run very high.

Even if it were real, so what? An island sank due to vulcanic activity, big deal. The roman civilization rose to great scientific heights, then fell into the dark ages. Just because an island had some decent architecture doesn't make it a big spectacle.

Assuming it predates what we expected from civilization at the time, of course it's a big spectacle, it'd re-write a section of human history. =P

trancekuja
02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Another government cover up...:)

Aerith's Knight
02-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Assuming it predates what we expected from civilization at the time, of course it's a big spectacle, it'd re-write a section of human history. =P

Expectation is a very sad and relative term. Seeing as the greeks were unimaginably far ahead of the tribes in western europe, or whatever. The rise and fall of empires has been a trend for thousands of years, from Babylon to Rome, and everytime science degraded in the falls.

It didn't rewrite anything in my opinion, because if that was true, we would've rewritten history dozens of times.

To put it simply, without any actual data of that time, you can't expect anything, simply because you don't know anything about it. Maybe an empire rose and fell there, maybe not. But how would it effect us really? It's not like knowledge about Babylon, Egypt, Rome, Aztecs or the Greeks have really helped us in the last 100 years. I've never seen an historian work at NASA or a research department.

Finding out it existed, would be a spectacle at first, but when it becomes part of history nobody will care anymore.

cloud_doll
02-23-2009, 09:48 PM
of course of course of course atlantis exists!

trancekuja
02-23-2009, 10:03 PM
of course of course of course atlantis exists!
Yeah yeah yeah!