PDA

View Full Version : SHUT UP

Yar
02-21-2009, 05:59 PM
My brother told me that I just had to play Mother 3 because he had it homebrewed onto the Wii. Okay, I'll give it a shot.

Big mistake. All he did was talk and tell me what to do and intricacies about the game. Yes, okay. His name is Lucas. So what, I want to change it to Lukas. I never even got out of the house at the start of the game. He kept telling me what to do, so I gave him the controller and said, "fuck it, you play the game."

I usually have a no talking policy when I'm playing video games, unless they're party games or puzzles.

What is your stance on people talking while you're playing?

Momiji
02-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Depends on the game. If it's an rpg or fighting game or something, I don't care. If it's a shmup or FPS, bother me and die. :D

Vermachtnis
02-21-2009, 06:10 PM
If they're telling me how to play then they can shut up. If they're adding random commentary to the NPCs or just making off color remarks than it's okay cause it's usually funny. "You're running! You're running! I think I saw that chick before! She's stalking you dude! Kill her! Collect the XP! She's a spy! Hurry before she reports you're running to final boss!"

Yar
02-21-2009, 06:13 PM
If they're telling me how to play then they can shut up. If they're adding random commentary to the NPCs or just making off color remarks than it's okay cause it's usually funny. "You're running! You're running! I think I saw that chick before! She's stalking you dude! Kill her! Collect the XP! She's a spy! Hurry before she reports you're running to final boss!"Yeah, I should clarify. This isn't just general talk like "how was your day?" I mean talking about the game specifically in a manner that could potentially spoil the game.

trancekuja
02-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I want to hit them with the remote. Or a stick:twak:

McLovin'
02-21-2009, 06:59 PM
My mom has seen my wrath.

Psychotic
02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't really care. I don't try to do the story of a game if a friend's there, I just dick about and it's good fun.

Goldenboko
02-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm sometimes guilty of this, but only when it's fustrating to watch the person, as in, "Dude there's a guy shooting you" "wut? where?" "Right to your left" *turns to the right* "Dude, tf? Your other left." "There's no one shooting me!" *dies*

Seriously people, if you didn't suck so bad, I wouldn't yell at you as much.

LunarWeaver
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm not a fan of backseat gamers. If the controller is in my hand, don't tell me what to do with it.

I'm a story whore as well. It pisses me off when people won't shut up during cut scenes. My family in general seems to think that a game requires no attention at all. When I was playing Silent Hill: Homecoming, my mom and aunt and cousin were at the apartment and wouldn't be quiet. When I told them a cut scene was going on, they started talking to me with louder voices as if I meant, "I can't hear you over the game, talk louder."

scrumpleberry
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't really care. I don't try to do the story of a game if a friend's there, I just dick about and it's good fun.

This, unless only one of us has the game so we're playing through the story together. I once did Twilight Princess with a friend, one of us had the remote and the other had the nunchuck, it was awesome and dreadful xD

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't play too seriously when people are nearby, though, so it isn't usually a problem. I do have one story, though xD

My cousin, who's like, 10-ish, got SSBB for his birthday, and he'd never played it before. Most of us hadn't, there were five of us playing, so the person who was sitting out would flip through the manual. After he'd read it, he started acting like he was a Super Expert and told us all what to do. We were kind of annoyed, but none of us really said anything. When he was back in, though, we were all OMG, HEY, PRESS THESE BUTTONS! NO NO NO PICK UP THAT ITEM IT'S A PORYGON PROBABLY! and he started to cry >.>

I'm sometimes guilty of this, but only when it's fustrating to watch the person, as in, "Dude there's a guy shooting you" "wut? where?" "Right to your left" *turns to the right* "Dude, tf? Your other left." "There's no one shooting me!" *dies*

I do this too sometimes, it's a horrible habit S:

escobert
02-21-2009, 08:41 PM

Same here.

ljkkjlcm9
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Depends.

When it comes to RPG's or something, I tell them strategy, or tell them things they could miss or something like that. When it comes to other games like say Zelda, I only say something when I get really frustrated. My current roommate and I are playing the same game, and we're doing sidequests and stuff in different order, so he tells me stuff to look out for, and vice versa.

THE JACKEL

sdm42393
02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
As long as people aren't telling me how to play, or where to go, I'm fine with idle chatter.

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh, yeah, if there's an easily missable item coming up I definitely say something xD

Tavrobel
02-21-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll hold a conversation with you about the game if I'm playing. It doesn't take much effort out of me to listen to you.

Until I do something stupid like jump off a cliff on purpose. Then it's your fault.

Vyk
02-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Depends on who's around and who's playing and what's being played. I don't mind talking. When its me playing I'm usually not too serious about it. When its others playing I'm mostly amusing or helpful. Stuff like this:
If they're telling me how to play then they can shut up. If they're adding random commentary to the NPCs or just making off color remarks than it's okay cause it's usually funny. "You're running! You're running! I think I saw that chick before! She's stalking you dude! Kill her! Collect the XP! She's a spy! Hurry before she reports you're running to final boss!"

Depends.

When it comes to RPG's or something, I tell them strategy, or tell them things they could miss or something like that. When it comes to other games like say Zelda, I only say something when I get really frustrated. My current roommate and I are playing the same game, and we're doing sidequests and stuff in different order, so he tells me stuff to look out for, and vice versa.

THE JACKAL

PuPu
02-21-2009, 10:40 PM

What? Do you mean forward then? :D
Which forward is that?

Yeah, it's fun screwing around in the game.
One time, while playing Call of Duty...
Goldenboko:Go up on that building.
PuPu: Which up? Your up or my up?
Goldenboko: There's only one up dumbass!
:D

Goldenboko
02-21-2009, 10:42 PM
How you manage to turn "turn left" into "look straight down" never ceases to amaze me =D

Tama2
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
And here I was thinking this was about Roo.

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2009, 11:49 PM
I use to be quite chatty when other people were playing games but i was young, dont blame me. Now i either make light conversation, snide remarks about the game or just hum along to the music. I dont mind people giving me advice if i havent played the game yet. It saves time reading the manual or playing the tutorial.

Wolf Kanno
02-22-2009, 01:08 AM
I usually don't talk during a game when someone else is playing. Unless I'm in a party setting like when my friend brought DMC3 the day it came out and we took turns playing it and couldn't beat smurfing Cerberus... We had a good laugh then, especially when Easy mode was unlocked. We also chat during some survival horror series but its more when we play as a group. "Go in there!" "No, open the door" "Did I hear footsteps?" It makes some of those games scary fun, especially when the guy controlling the character squeals like a girl when something happens.

I'm a story whore so I don't usually like people chatting when I play but I usually don't play during times when people are around. Though I do have a bad habit of speaking out loud, my internal monologue about my thoughts on the game. :eep:

Shlup
02-22-2009, 03:10 AM
When BJ and I were each playing Twilight Princess we weren't even allowed in the same room while the other was playing.

Jessweeee♪
02-22-2009, 03:44 AM
I usually don't talk during a game when someone else is playing. Unless I'm in a party setting like when my friend brought DMC3 the day it came out and we took turns playing it and couldn't beat smurfing Cerberus... We had a good laugh then, especially when Easy mode was unlocked. We also chat during some survival horror series but its more when we play as a group. "Go in there!" "No, open the door" "Did I hear footsteps?" It makes some of those games scary fun, especially when the guy controlling the character squeals like a girl when something happens.

Hahaha, my friends and I did that with Mirror's Edge. They kept messing up the rolls, so now we say "NICE ROLL!" whenever somebody messes something up. Or when somebody literally rolls nicely.

Rase
02-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I hardly mind it unless it's story, and most of the time the other person knows it and will be quiet. If not oh well, I'll just look online. As for myself, I know which friends are okay with it, which aren't, and to what extent for both, so I never get in trouble about talking to them while they're playing.

Caraliz
02-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I usually like talking with other people but if there's a cutscene I'd prefer the people shut up. If it's just me walking around and opening boxes idfc if people are talking.

It's just when they get fussy, and I usually never play video games anyway unless they're two player with other people. The other person always has to play. That's the rule.

Unless they're doing something else. Then that's the exception.

Jowy
02-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Yelling at people on ventrilo for being failures is always fun.

One time we're at the boss that freezes people and you have to hide behind the frozen guys to avoid taking an obscene amount of damage. One person doesn't know what is going on and stands there doing nothing while four people are screaming "BIGGIE, BEAR! BIGGIE, BEAR! BIGGIE RUN TO THE BEAR!" Biggie did not run to the bear. Biggie stood there and died.

Bunny
02-23-2009, 04:17 AM
I don't mind people talking while I am playing video games. I just hate when they constantly ask me questions about the storyline, characters, or gameplay. Play the damn game yourself and leave me alone.

Jiro
02-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I don't normally play single player games when I'm with people, so it's usually FPS or something, where tactics and trash-talking are mandatory. And laughing at stupidity :p

Roogle
02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
I dislike when people decline the advice of others while they play a video game in front of another person.

I can understand that giving advice would be annoying if a person was doing something like driving to the store or running errands, but a video game is a different medium and by sharing that experience with another person, you should accept their role and what they have to say or else you should play the game when you are alone. It is rude to expect people to just sit there quietly while you make decisions that would likely seem poorly made in hindsight.

What a selfish attitude to have. I never liked watching or playing any games with one of my friends because he would become angry if anyone said something like, "Oh, you should save some Potions because there's a boss coming up," if you were trying to be helpful, but then would turn around and ask me how to beat that boss if I said nothing and he ended up dying and wasting tens of minutes of time.

And here I was thinking this was about Roo.

Please do not stray from the topic in the opening post.

KentaRawr!
02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't mind when other people are giving me advice, and I've also given other people advice while they play. Me, and all my friends, have this type of behavior. We also all shut up when something interesting happens on-screen, simply because we all want to see what's on screen. :3

Zeldy
02-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't mind talking, but my brother sits there and gets agitated when I do things wrong or go the wrong way, or when I do ask him for help he's like "go there" and I always stress out because I don't know where "there" is and kick him out the room instead. Yes I prefer to play alone, especially in RPGs, my brother just calls me for every move I slightly do wrong, though him being present makes me on edge and therefore make errors.

GameMasta
02-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Meh, I'm usually by myself anyways, so talking while gaming isn't an issue for me, though when me and my freinds are playing a game together, we will do some talking.