View Full Version : An Oscar's Thread

Fonzie
02-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Can't believe I, of all people, had to make this. :mad2:

Discuss the Academy Award's.

Jerry Lewis's speech was very nice. :)

Miriel
02-23-2009, 03:53 AM
SUPER annoyed that they're not playing clips for the nominated performances. Who the smurf gives a crap about Cuba Gooding Jr?

Anyway, they're playing the music from Slumdog Millionaire which is amaaazing. Love the soundtrack from that film.

Edit: YAY! And Slumdog wins Best Score. :D

Yar
02-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Heath Ledger got the "obligatory dead guy" standing O.

I'm destroying my mother in our Oscar pool, though.

Fonzie
02-23-2009, 03:58 AM
What about that nominee for best documentary? You know, that guy with the fucked up teeth? lol

i mean, was up wit that?

Yar
02-23-2009, 03:59 AM
What about that nominee for best documentary? You know, that guy with the smurfed up teeth? lol

i mean, was up wit that?xD

My mom was shocked at first.

Shlup
02-23-2009, 04:08 AM
I've never understood the appeal of the Oscars. I just don't get it! :p

Bunny
02-23-2009, 04:19 AM

It's a reason for Hollywood to jerk off to themselves and their friends while awarding movies that don't really deserve to be award.

I haven't watched the Oscars or any other award-type show for the last couple of years because a good majority of the nominations kinda blew.

Miriel
02-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Pfft, then y'all are missing out on the much deserved Slumdog love. Woohoo, Danny Boyle for Best Director!

I watch the Oscars cause I'm a movie nut. I think it's an incredible industry filled with the most creativity and creative-minded people of any industry, ever.

Fonzie
02-23-2009, 04:29 AM
These are the Slumdog Millionaire awards apparently. :p

Bunny
02-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Pfft, then y'all are missing out on the much deserved Slumdog love. Woohoo, Danny Boyle for Best Director!

I watch the Oscars cause I'm a movie nut. I think it's an incredible industry filled with the most creativity and creative-minded people of any industry, ever.

I love movies as well, they are one of my favorite things. But I honestly don't see the point of jerking off to a bunch of movies that don't deserve it. I will give it to Slumdog Millionaire, despite not having seen it, I have heard nothing but amazing reviews for it. But some of the movies up there don't deserve to be and some of the movies neglected don't deserve to be neglected.

Miriel
02-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Kate Winslet + Sean Penn win? YEEESSSS. <3

Yar
02-23-2009, 04:46 AM
I just explained to my mother why Sean Penn won an award. Two roles are guaranteed to win Oscars: minority figure heads that are assassinated, and the retarded.

Miriel
02-23-2009, 05:05 AM
I just explained to my mother why Sean Penn won an award. Two roles are guaranteed to win Oscars: minority figure heads that are assassinated, and the retarded.

You can't go full retard though.

Anyway, the show kinda sucked balls, but I'm happy with a lot of the winners. Slumdog deserved all the awards it got, it really was one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

rubah
02-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Is Hugh Jackman naked like he said he'd be?

Kirobaito
02-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Hopefully this Oscar will get Sean Penn to start working on that Phil Ochs movie he's been talking about for years.

Then if he wins an Oscar for that, I will truly worship the man.

Dreddz
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Micky Rourke deserved that Oscar more than Sean Penn. Thats all I have to say.

Fonzie
02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Micky Rourke deserved that Oscar more than Sean Penn. Thats all I have to say.

Xbox > PlayStation

All I have to say.

Momiji
02-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Found this in one of Roto's LJ entries--
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/Comics/naqv090222.gif

To be honest, I never understood the appeal of anything out of Hollywood-- and I probably never will.

Miriel
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Best moment of the night in my opinion, it totally made me cry:

YouTube - Screenwriter for gay-activist movie 'Milk': Very soon--I promise--you will have = rights federally. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_9CIh3u-w)

trancekuja
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto!:lol:

charliepanayi
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM
To be honest, I never understood the appeal of anything out of Hollywood-- and I probably never will.

That's a pretty narrow-minded view. Two words for you, The Godfather. And god knows I could quote plenty of other films. It's not all mindless remakes and bone-headed romantic comedies.

Anyway,as for the awards, I was a little pleased to see Slumdog Millionaire get the big prizes. It's very good, but not amazing. But it was nice to see it win, I have a soft spot for 'small' films like that. And it doesn't smell of Oscar bait like The Reader and Benjamin Button seemed to do.

Overall, few surprises, aside from Mickey Rourke being robbed of Best Actor. Sean Penn was great in Milk but I just felt Rourke deserved this one.

Quindiana Jones
02-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Whoever writes Kate Winslet's speeches should be put down. And seeing as they're clearly not written, Kate Winslet should henceforth be banned from all award ceremonies. I mean really, "suck it Meryl"? Nice one, Kate.

Miriel
02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
What speech were you watching? Kate basically said that she was honored and amazed to even have her name recognized alongside a screen legend like Meryl Streep. :o She called her fellow nominees, goddesses.