PDA

View Full Version : LOLASL

Caraliz
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Teaching in China (http://www.teachingadvantage.com/index.html)

So I was thinking about doing something like this. I've got nothing to lose and it'd be really neat to live in China for a summer or something and teach.

Would anyone else do something like this? Has anyone else done something like this? Big EoFF teaching China meetup plz! :love:

Momiji
02-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey, if you're into that kind of thing, by all means, go for it!

I'd love to go to China sometime, but teaching's not for me.

Yar
02-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd poison their minds by teaching them Western ideas such as capitalism and human rights.

Flying Mullet
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd poison their minds by teaching them Western ideas such as capitalism and human rights.
And afterward the government would poison you with cyanide. :p

Aerith's Knight
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
And afterward the government would poison you with cyanide. :p

I see my part-time job is going to be busy again.

Caraliz
02-23-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm probably just going to teach them how to say "hello" and "goodbye" and "can I touch that"

Miriel
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I was planning on teaching English in South Korea for a few months (I was actually hoping to start this March). But given how :skull::skull::skull::skull: the exchange rate has become, I dunno if it'll be worth it.

My cousin did it last summer and he made bank, but that was before the whole economic :skull::skull::skull::skull:storm hit.

I do think it would be a good experience, although I'm not really too interested in China. I have an Aunt who lives in South Korea, so I would automatically have housing and whatnot. Plus my brother and cousins work at Korean Air and they get free tickets to South Korea, so they could come visit me whenever they wanted. :p So yeah, a good opportunity, but I'm not sure it's the wisest thing to do it right now.

Flying Mullet
02-23-2009, 07:40 PM
My wife and I looked at JET (http://www.jetprogramme.org/) and similar programs briefly we were too settled and it would have been a pain in the ass with the move and all. It's really too bad we didn't think about it sooner.

Caraliz
02-23-2009, 07:41 PM
I was planning on teaching English in South Korea for a few months (I was actually hoping to start this March). But given how :skull::skull::skull::skull: the exchange rate has become, I dunno if it'll be worth it.

My cousin did it last summer and he made bank, but that was before the whole economic :skull::skull::skull::skull:storm hit.

I do think it would be a good experience, although I'm not really too interested in China. I have an Aunt who lives in South Korea, so I would automatically have housing and whatnot. Plus my brother and cousins work at Korean Air and they get free tickets to South Korea, so they could come visit me whenever they wanted. :p So yeah, a good opportunity, but I'm not sure it's the wisest thing to do it right now.
Apparently the housing is free in China. It sounds like a great deal.

I don't really know how it'll be, but I think it'll be a great experience if I get to do this.

Miriel
02-23-2009, 08:45 PM
It's not really free, it's just included in your salary, just like air fare. If I did go, I would probably be compensated more because I wouldn't require housing from my employers.

If you do decide to do this, make sure you do a TON of research. There are a lot of horror stories out there about employers taking your passport and not giving it back until the end of your contract (they're afraid you'll bone out), or robbing you of a month's pay because of some lame ass excuse, breaking your contract at 11 months so that you don't get your 12 month bonus, horrible working conditions, lies about where the school is actually located (urban vs. rural), etc. Make sure you do your research and find out exactly where you'll be going in China, what kind of school you'll be teaching at, and ask for contact information from previous teachers at that specific school to see what their experience was like.

Balzac
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a friend out in south korea doing it now and one just about to head off to Japan. The one in South Korea said it was the best decision he ever made.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
My wife and I looked at JET (http://www.jetprogramme.org/) and similar programs briefly we were too settled and it would have been a pain in the ass with the move and all. It's really too bad we didn't think about it sooner.

Was gonna do JET this Fall but the departure dates conflict with other things in my life, such as my sister's wedding. So I am going to work for a year and apply after that. I heard from some people that done it that you can save up quite a bit of money though I assume that depends where you get sent. Also, you tend to be the token English-speaker in a class though if you are lucky you might go somewhere where they will let, you know, actually teach instead reading sentences in a book or something.

41-Inches-Wide
02-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Go for it! If it goes well, it could be a really great and amazing experience.

When I just graduated in college, I tried applying also to a teaching programme that would take me to Ecuador! But my mom got too scared and got angry with me. She's so impossible, she said there were cannibals there! :kaoclove:

Peegee
02-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Just saying that you'll need a degree of some sort to teach, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a good idea and I'm telling another friend to go for it.

Garland
02-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Be careful. The laws and punishments are harsh there.

Namelessfengir
02-24-2009, 03:01 AM
i thought about teaching in korea last spring when i was unemployed and had nothing to lose by going but given how much of an ass i am i might pull a great teacher largo thing and teach them all gaming and 1337

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Just saying that you'll need a degree of some sort to teach, if I'm not mistaken.

It's a good idea and I'm telling another friend to go for it.

Most companies you need a university degree plus your TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certification which is like a few weeks and a few hundred bucks. Though programs like JET all you need is an university degree.

TEFL is different from TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) which is a 4-5 year program usually offered in B.Ed. programs.

kikimm
02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
It's something I would consider doing some years down the road. Right now, now thanks. Maybe someday I would like to actually teach English as a second language somewhere, though. =)

Cuchulainn
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Don't go to China!!!! They'll steal your DNA and build a cheaper version of you and make you redundant.

Don't say I didn't warn you

Caraliz
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Don't go to China!!!! They'll steal your DNA and build a cheaper version of you and make you redundant.

But... China has tea. :(

Goldenboko
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM

So? My fridge has tea. Don't see it stealing my DNA.

Balzac
02-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Does it not?

Caraliz
02-25-2009, 01:23 AM

Does it not?
It totally does.