PDA

View Full Version : Cycling question.

Quindiana Jones
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
The handlebars on a bike I just acquired are too small for me (unisex bike with short lady handlebars), so I'm obviously gonna need to buy new handlebars. Also I'll need a new saddle, but that's easier.

I was thinking about getting butterfly bars for my old bike, but didn't get the chance obviously, so I figure I might do that for this one. Anyone used butterfly bars before? Pros and cons? Are there any difficulties in switching from straight bars to butterfly bars? My bike has clicky gear shift things and disc brakes, so I'm wondering if either of them will complicate matters. Also, anybody know of any particularly good (and cheap) handlebars? Same goes for the saddle I guess. Need man saddle to keep my knackers happy.

As well as that, I'm probably going to need to put my own tape on. I plan on just buying whatever's in the bike shop for this. Good or bad idea?

Cheers for any help.

Flying Mullet
02-28-2009, 07:19 PM
The first thing I can tell you is ask around with people you know that cycle to find a good shop and speak with the mechanic(s). When you're converting parts on a bike they know a lot about the geometry, mechanics, specs, etc... in regards to the various parts and what works, doesn't work, etc... I wanted to upgrade the brakes on a 15 year-old mountain bike a couple of months ago and spoke with a mechanic friend to see what needed to be done and he informed me that it couldn't be done due to how the cables and cable housing are attached to the frame. This was good to know ahead of time before I had my brakes disassembled and learned the hard way that it wouldn't work.

In regards to your handlebar questions, it probably depends upon how your frame is designed, i.e. the geometry. Again, if you can find a quality bike shop that does fittings, they should be able to take one look at your bike and see if the handlebars are what you need to fix your fit problem, or see if something else can be done to help you out, or if the frame's geometry is off and there's not much that can be done for you.

Sorry this post isn't of more help, but for the type of questions you're asking, the answers are best to come from a professional that deals with this stuff on a daily basis, especially since seeing the bike and you on the bike will play such an important part in the fit.

As for the tape, they're all roughly the same.

Yar
02-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Why did I open this thread? :( I want to go bicycling SOOO bad, but it's still February.

This reminds me of when my dad tried to do... something with his bike. I can't remember. He got on and it was going well for a while before it fell apart and he fell head first over the handlebars. :lol:

Quindiana Jones
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
The first thing I can tell you is ask around with people you know that cycle to find a good shop and speak with the mechanic(s). When you're converting parts on a bike they know a lot about the geometry, mechanics, specs, etc... in regards to the various parts and what works, doesn't work, etc... I wanted to upgrade the brakes on a 15 year-old mountain bike a couple of months ago and spoke with a mechanic friend to see what needed to be done and he informed me that it couldn't be done due to how the cables and cable housing are attached to the frame. This was good to know ahead of time before I had my brakes disassembled and learned the hard way that it wouldn't work.

In regards to your handlebar questions, it probably depends upon how your frame is designed, i.e. the geometry. Again, if you can find a quality bike shop that does fittings, they should be able to take one look at your bike and see if the handlebars are what you need to fix your fit problem, or see if something else can be done to help you out, or if the frame's geometry is off and there's not much that can be done for you.

Sorry this post isn't of more help, but for the type of questions you're asking, the answers are best to come from a professional that deals with this stuff on a daily basis, especially since seeing the bike and you on the bike will play such an important part in the fit.

As for the tape, they're all roughly the same.

I made my older bike, so I know a fair bit about what problems mean what. Therefore I do know that the handlebars need changing. I know all the local bike shops too, and I was planning on visiting them to get some advice anyway. Good to know I was on the right track.