PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Trophies Or Complete Waste Of Time?

DynasticJam
03-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm a PS3 fan. I used to be a trophy whore, but now I've come to the conclusion that it's really just a waste of time and it doesn't enhance the experience at all. Let me give you an example. Let's assume you're a trophy whore, and you're playing through a game and trying to get all the trophies in one play-through. You complete the game and check your trophies only to discover that you've got all but one trophy. Now what? Are you really going to go back in there just for the sake of one trophy? There are so many games coming out for the PS3 that by the time I've completed one game I just want to move on to the next. Also, as a trophy whore, I was looking at trophy FAQs from the net just so that I could have a reference. I just can't be arsed for those prerequisites. I'm not just a casual gamer, because I enjoy playing games a lot, but I don't boast about it by displaying trophies in my sig on forums. I see a lot of people on forums talking about what trophies they've earned for a game, but it's meaningless to me. I just completed SHH yesterday (I'm from the UK) and it was a joy to play a game that didn't have trophies pop up in the middle of a terrifying experience. Am I the only hardcore gamer who feels this way?

Dreddz
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't fuss over them myself but I don't mind them being there. In fact they can be helpful sometimes as they can specifically tell you what you have done in the game and can tell you how far you've progressed. But going after them just seems too long-winded and I have better things to do with my time.

Momiji
03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't have a PS3, but I'm assuming trophies are like Xbox 360 achievements?

Yeah, I don't bother with those much. I'll collect the ones that look like a fun challenge, or the ones I automatically get for progressing through the game, but I won't go out of my way to get all of them just so I can show off my score to people who don't care.

JKTrix
03-01-2009, 03:36 PM
I haven't played a lot of Street Fighter 4 on my PS3, but I hear that there are certain things you can achieve in the game that will unlock an item in Home. The one in particular I saw was someone winning some online matches with Dan, and he got a Dan-themed T-shirt in Home.

Even if one doesn't care about Home, or the trophies, at least getting *something* gives it a little more value.

As far as achievements/trophies go, it's probably good for other people to see them so they know what you've done in the game. Like, if you want to talk to a friend about something in a game but you don't know if they've done it yet (and don't want to spoil it), you can take a peek at their progress. In a sense, the achievements/trophies can give someone a nudge when they think they've finished a game and see that there's other stuff that they can do or play around with. Just adds a little more value to the game experience that you can ignore completely.

Slothy
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Even if one doesn't care about Home, or the trophies, at least getting *something* gives it a little more value.

This is why I think Valve has the right idea with Team Fortress 2 class updates. Are the things you unlock for finishing class achievements game breakingly awesome? No, but they typically offer a new way to play the same class, so not only do you get rewarded with new items, it freshens up the game, makes classes you may not have been fond of useful in new ways, and offers more strategic option. All bigger pluses in my book than bragging rights among a bunch of faceless people on the internet.

Markus. D
03-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't like how some of my friends play games and specifically go right for getting achievements.

Raebus
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
I never go out of my way to get an achievement. I have friends who that though and then go on and on about me missing achievements, I just don't care about them that much. =P

DynasticJam
03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Okay, so I'm not the only one, that's good to know.

Rase
03-01-2009, 08:15 PM
With Achievements I just grab the ones that I get automatically or the ones that looks like a decently fun challenge. I don't care enough to actively try and get every one. Example, in Bioshock on my friends 360 I played through once because I had already beaten it on PC twice. There are like 5 achievements I'm missing or something (since you can't possibly get all in one play through), but I haven't bothered getting them for months because I just can't be bothered. Just look at Achievements/Trophies as a bonus that makes you feel good and stop caring about having the most or whatever.

Craig
03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
the acheivements are cool. i dont go out of my way to get them when im playing games unless i see ones that i like, but to me its just a fun extra thing added to the game to give you a bit more to do. nowt wrong with that

itd be good if you could like, win clothes for your avatar though, or game pics or themes or stuff.