PDA

View Full Version : Why, Square? Why?!

DemonicDragon
03-04-2009, 02:17 AM
So I'm playing for the first time Xenogears via the use of an emulator and I must say it is genius in every sense of the word. Now, I want to know why Square sacrificed potentially amazing franchise to the horror that is Namco. I really wanted a Xenogears 2, why has square cursed us. why did they sell the series, or at least why not scream copyright infringment on Namco?!:mad2:
Xenosaga sux, Imo its a mocery of Xenogears. Admitally I haven't played Xenosaga much, though I doubt it lives up to Xenogears epic story and combat system.
BTW-The Sprite artist for Xenogears is the same as FFT,right? My friend is actaully doubting it, and I'm starting to think hes blind.:D

Slothy
03-04-2009, 03:37 AM
why did they sell the series, or at least why not scream copyright infringment on Namco?!:mad2:

Because they didn't sell the series and there was no copyright infringement. The development team behind Xenogears left and formed the company that developed Xenosaga. Even if Square did develop a Xenogears 2, it wouldn't be made by the same people and probably wouldn't live up to your expectations any more than Xenosaga did.

Marshall Banana
03-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Recently I finished the first Xenosaga game, and I started Episode II.

I think that Episode I is perfect; you should play it much, because it gets better and better. Episode II is already disappointing me, though.

DemonicDragon
03-04-2009, 04:17 AM
why did they sell the series, or at least why not scream copyright infringment on Namco?!:mad2:

Because they didn't sell the series and there was no copyright infringement. The development team behind Xenogears left and formed the company that developed Xenosaga. Even if Square did develop a Xenogears 2, it wouldn't be made by the same people and probably wouldn't live up to your expectations any more than Xenosaga did.
For the Record my friend Monolith soft is owned/controlled by a collaborated effort between namco and nintendo. Pathetic, I say they try to leave square in order to makie their own games for themselves and get caught up in being controlled by Nintendo and Namco Bandai. Maybe if they were an independent developer their games wouldn't suck. They really should have just stayed at good old square :shakeshead:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
BTW-The Sprite artist for Xenogears is the same as FFT,right? My friend is actaully doubting it, and I'm starting to think hes blind.:D

I'd have to check the credits of both games to be sure, but I doubt it, too.

DemonicDragon
03-04-2009, 07:19 AM

I'd have to check the credits of both games to be sure, but I doubt it, too.
Are you kidding, look at them! The color, the style, its exactly the same, right on cue. Even 1s that look like Is that should tell you FFT's sprite artist is involved. Why you doubt such vivid evidence?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Here are the credits from each game under which "sprite artist" might fall.

Final Fantasy Tactics:

Art Direction
Horishi Minagawa

Character Animation
Rumiyasu Sasaki

Character Animators
Mieko Hoshino
Konomi Ishizuka
Kiyofumi Kato
Toshiaki Matsumoto
Eiichiro Nakatsu
Tsuyoshi Namiki
Makato Sawano
Yuichi Shiota

And Xenogears:

Art Director
Yasuyuki Honne

Chief Artistic Design
Koh Arai

Character Effects Programming
Yoshiyuki Miyagawa

Battle Character Graphics
Masanori Hoshino
Masaya Suzuki
Tsutomu Terada
Tadahiro Usuda

Battle Motion Design
Tetsunobu Tsunoda

Character Digitization
Yasuhiro Akiyama
Yasuhisa Izumisawa
Yoko Kaneko
Ryoichi Kato
Yuichirou Kojima
Jun Kusata
Hiroyuki Nagamino
Kei Naruse
Mika Nunokawa

Not a single name in common, you'll find.

Rase
03-04-2009, 08:02 AM
For the Record my friend Monolith soft is owned/controlled by a collaborated effort between namco and nintendo. Pathetic, I say they try to leave square in order to makie their own games for themselves and get caught up in being controlled by Nintendo and Namco Bandai. Maybe if they were an independent developer their games wouldn't suck. They really should have just stayed at good old square :shakeshead:
Square has made their fair share of crap games as well.

Also, the games had different people in charge of both art direction and character design. For Tactics AD was Hiroshi Minagawa and CD was Akihiko Yoshida, while Gears had Yasuyuki Honne in AD and Kunihiko Tanaka in CD, assuming IMDB isn't lying to me. So any similarities are either Gears copying Tactics or it being a popular art style or whatever.

Edit: Looks like Kishi beat me to it, and with much more evidence. Can't say I'm surprised.

DemonicDragon
03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Whoa, I'll be damned. I'm still wondering where those "I" shaped 1s came from though....

sdm42393
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Square has made their fair share of crap games as well.

:rolleyes2 I'm definitely not looking at the compilation...

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Recently I finished the first Xenosaga game, and I started Episode II.

I think that Episode I is perfect; you should play it much, because it gets better and better. Episode II is already disappointing me, though.

Episode 3 is much better and completely redeems the crap that is Episode 2. Everything about it is much better. Sadly, we will probably never see the best entry in the series Pied Piper :cry:

The core team that built Xenogears left Square due to creative and financial differences. Xenogears is a half finished title which is partly evident by the debug room that shows a few location and Gears that were not used in the game. There was a rumor that funding for the delayed Xenogears was funneled out of the project and given to the VIII project instead.

The core team developed Monolith Soft and got Namco to be their publisher who were hoping Xenosaga would be their "FF-Killer" title. Massive delays and a major mismanagement of time and money brought us the half finished Episode 1. Ep. 1 was suppose to entail the entire story that takes place in Ep.1-3, Pied Piper and the online story. Evidence in the infamous "8min. 8sec." trailer showed many familiar scenes from Ep.1 and 2 (with 2 being done in the better Eps. 1 art style) but sometime between the trailer and the release, it was all cut out.

Eps.2 was orignially planned to have everything from Eps 2 and 3 in it but higher ups in Monolith Soft decided to butcher the original script in order to make it a trilogy. This and major internal creative differences causes Mitsuda to bow out of doing the Music for Eps. 2and 3 and later, Soraya Saga (one of the top writers) left shortly after Eps. 2 was released. Her last credit was Pied Piper, a cell phone game that details the event of Ziggy's life when he was alive and imho is the best written piece of the entire Xenosaga story.

Xenosaga is considered a commercial failure despite being one of the better RPG series of the PS2 generation. The Xenogears team is pretty much scattered at this point and is as likely of getting a true sequel as SE trying to make a sequel of Chrono Trigger with its original staff (many of which are the Xenogears team). The best we could hope for is either Xenogears being released for PSN or XBLA (I don't know if they had or not) or a port with a better translation and localization. Its a shame really, since Xenogears is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

Jessweeee♪
03-05-2009, 03:38 AM
WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A THREADS OF FATE SEQUEL, SQUARE, WHY?!

;___________;

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2009, 05:07 AM

;___________;

Because the first one was so epically awesome that making an awesome sequel would create an irreversible shift in the balance of chaos and order, involuntarily causing the entire universe to implode on itself. ;)

Jessweeee♪
03-05-2009, 07:39 PM

;___________;

Because the first one was so epically awesome that making an awesome sequel would create an irreversible shift in the balance of chaos and order, involuntarily causing the entire universe to implode on itself. ;)

That's the only explanation that makes sense :\