PDA

View Full Version : Rip Off

Bunny
03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
I dare anyone to come up with a bigger rip off than car insurance.

Winner gets a sexy private message authored by yours truly.

Denmark
03-06-2009, 11:49 PM
mortgages in this day and age

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Unconditional love.

Rantz
03-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Premium Membership of EoFF.

Linus
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM

car insurance * 2

Ramza Beoulve
03-07-2009, 12:22 AM

car insurance * 2car insurance ^ car insurance

Yar
03-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Health insurance? :confused:

Linus
03-07-2009, 12:47 AM

car insurance ^ car insurance + 1

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Health insurance? :confused:

*shoots Yar-yar in the knee*

Værn
03-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Taxes. And anything else the government saps your paycheck for by default.
Only people with cars need to worry about car insurance. The government screws everybody over.

Momiji
03-07-2009, 01:16 AM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/1231203426350.jpg

Need I say more?

Red Fox In Disguise
03-07-2009, 01:44 AM
University fee's
£3000 a year to do something the goverment are begging more people to do

Bunny
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM

Need I say more?

That dude sued Scientology.

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2009, 01:53 AM
When I first saw this ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVn58geiW8c&feature=related) at the movies I thought first bit wouldve made an awesome advertisement for car insurance.

car insurance ^ car insurance + 1

car insurance/0

Wolfen
03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Democracy.

Shlup
03-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Ready to be dominated? READY?

Income tax.

I'll take my prize now.

Also, ShamWoWs totally work.

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2009, 02:32 AM

Need I say more?

I was gonna do that :(

Shlup
03-07-2009, 02:32 AM
BUT SHAMWOWS WORK DAMMIT THEY ARE COOL.

rubah
03-07-2009, 02:39 AM
I only have liability insurance because you have to have it by law or something.

bottled water is a pretty big rip off

Momiji
03-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Also, ShamWoWs totally work.

proof or gtfo ;)

Shlup
03-07-2009, 02:47 AM
You know you want to buy like a dozen of them now.

And bottled water is not a rip off if you live where the tap water comes out funny colors.

Cuchulainn
03-07-2009, 03:20 AM

I work in insurance :)

Car insurance is expensive for young males drivers because young male drivers are the single most dangerous thing on the road. It's all about risk dear boy.

If young males decide to start driving rationally & stop killing everything on the road then the risk may be reduced and the price reduced. I've seen some truely shocking things come in in accident reports dude. If I had it my way I'd ban young males from driving completely.

Anyway, biggest rip off? Itunes, surely.

rubah
03-07-2009, 04:40 AM
24 pack of 20oz bottles of water = ~$7 = 3.5 gal
4 1gal jugs of water = ~$4 = 4 gal

about 100% markup there ;)

cuchi that might explain why I feel terrified whenever one of my young male friends is driving me somewhere!

Laddy
03-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Billy Mays

Madame Adequate
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM
The United States House of Representatives.

Marshall Banana
03-07-2009, 05:38 AM

Car insurance is expensive for young males drivers because young male drivers are the single most dangerous thing on the road. It's all about risk dear boy.

If young males decide to start driving rationally & stop killing everything on the road then the risk may be reduced and the price reduced. I've seen some truely shocking things come in in accident reports dude. If I had it my way I'd ban young males from driving completely.

I'm a female driver who turned 21 last year, has been driving for years, and has never had an accident.

This year my insurance magically increased by almost $100, even though it dropped last year. =O

Shlup
03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I demand recognition for how accurate my submission is, dammit. I smurfING HATE INCOME TAX.

Denmark
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
If I had it my way I'd ban young males from driving completely.

Then young males would stop causing accidents, yes. But then older males (who would be at the youngest end of the driving age bracket) would cause all the accidents.

People have to learn to drive sometime. Their insurance premium should be higher when they're less experienced, since they're more likely to cause or be involved in an accident due to this lack of experience. If they can prove that they are safe drivers after a small number of years then their premium should go down. Which, amazingly, is how the system works.

Car insurance is not a ripoff. I'm a safe driver. I'd feel a lot less comfortable driving if my car wasn't insured. Some things you just can't control. If you're stopped at a traffic light, like you're legally supposed to be, and someone comes up behind you and slams into you for whatever reason, and it's entirely their fault, would you rather pay for car repairs yourself (a hefty sum) or have your insurance company take care of the costs (at the same cost to you as every other month when you pay your premium)? I know in the case of a lot of young people, their choice would be between paying for car repairs or eating. Since most people feel as if they need to eat, they would be without a car until they'd saved up enough money from their relatively low-paying job to afford to get it fixed or a new car. But if they had budgeted properly to pay for car insurance every month, they'd have their car fixed in no time. And what if this person needed their car to even get to their job? What would happen then?

Car insurance isn't a ripoff, it's a safety net. I'd much rather have the safety net be there and not need it than fall off the tightrope to my splattery death.

Jowy
03-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Non-alcoholic beer, decaffeinated coffee, non-drowsy cough medicine.

Loony BoB
03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Have to say, Rantz wins for me.

I'll throw in lapdances at stripclubs, though. You pay to get sexually frustrated. What's up with that? Only worth it (and I use those two words loosely) if you know you can get some afterwards.

Bunny
03-07-2009, 03:21 PM

Ready for it? Young women drivers.

Momiji
03-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Seriously. Guys may be more reckless, but girls seem to LOOOOOVE having their cell phone in one hand, talking or worse, texting away while driving, something I rarely see guys do (the texting, that is). A couple of weeks ago, I saw a girl on campus driving the wrong direction on the roundabout, text messaging away.

Of all the really smurfing stupid and dangerous things that someone could do, it's endangering yourself and everyone around you because you can't just wait to send your stupid mini e-mails.

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 03:42 PM
A few days ago I was driving behind a girl who was drinking water while driving. Now that's normal, but she did it out of a bottle while tilting her freaking head backwards so far she was staring at the ceiling, swerving over both sides of the road as she did.. dangerous *****.

Another girl I know drives in 2 inch heels, and I'm guessing she isn't the only one.

Rantz
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Lulz, defensive guys patrol.

Tama2
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Dang...

I feel like a dangerous driver know. I do a bunch of crazy things while I drive.

Then again. I am a young male. I'm actually surprised I have yet to get in an accident that was my fault.

*Knocks on wood*

Oh and to stay on topic. Skin Bars.

Leeza
03-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Another girl I know drives in 2 inch heels, and I'm guessing she isn't the only one.
I drive in 3 1/2 inch heels. I don't see how that makes a difference. Some of the worst driver's I've seen are men in big trucks who think they don't have to obey the simplest rules of the road such as using their signals and not even looking to see if anyone is behind them. I've seen many of these.

Madame Adequate
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
SEX WAR!

Mirage
03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Return of the anectodal evidence part three!

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't get why people are soiling over statistics. They really do show that young men suck ass at driving. I'm sure you are the exception of course.

Anyway. Prostitutes are a total rip off. I don't get why you'd pay an ugly person to do something that you can get a hot person to do for free.

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I drive in 3 1/2 inch heels. I don't see how that makes a difference. Some of the worst driver's I've seen are men in big trucks who think they don't have to obey the simplest rules of the road such as using their signals and not even looking to see if anyone is behind them. I've seen many of these.

That's because everyone in america drives automatic, which a trained monkey could drive.

You can't drive clutch in 3 1/2 inch heels, at least not in the small cars we have here. The heel interferes with the peddles, causing them to get stuck, block the foot, etc.

I doubt the cars in the US have the same problem, seeing as they are usually big ass cars.

And I agree on the truck thing, but the same counts for women driving trucks.

I don't get why people are soiling over statistics. They really do show that young men suck ass at driving. I'm sure you are the exception of course.

Men are more than twice as likely to die in a car crash than women, consider the yearly statistics shown below. In fact, studies have shoiwn as many as 73 percent of all people killed in car accidents are male. Since record keeping began: male fatalities significantly outweigh female fatalities. However men and women do not drive the same number of miles under the same conditions- men do about 60-65% more driving than women. Studies show that woman take shorter trips and female drivers have a greater number of minor crashes than do men. However men are still 70% more likely to be in a serious crash.

Leeza
03-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I drive a manual shift and have no problem with my heels. I do not live in the US and I do not drive a big ass car. I guess maybe men would have trouble driving with heels though. :)

<i>And I agree on the truck thing, but the same counts for women driving trucks.</i>

I can't say that I've ever seen a women driver be so inconsiderate whether driving a car or a truck. Men seem to think that they own the road.

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 07:51 PM
I drive a manual shift and have no problem with my heels. I do not live in the US and I do not drive a big ass car. I guess maybe men would have trouble driving with heels though. :)

I've seen this happen from the passenger seet, many many times, you can't just say it doesn't happen because you don't have a problem with it.

And the truck thing is not gender, but size. Big cars and Trucks think they own the road because they are large. This behaviour is unisexual.

Cuchulainn
03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
If I had it my way I'd ban young males from driving completely.

Then young males would stop causing accidents, yes. But then older males (who would be at the youngest end of the driving age bracket) would cause all the accidents..

Actually inexperience is a factor, definately, but the difference in the accident ratio between new drivers in their 30s and new drivers in their teens is vast. With young males it's all about their inexperienced & immature social thinking. Their need to show off, their need to go fast & attempt to impress people & their inability to cope with the responsibility of having such a dangerous piece of machinery. So even if they learn in their mid-20s, the accident rates will still be lowered.

I'm a female driver who turned 21 last year, has been driving for years, and has never had an accident.

This year my insurance magically increased by almost $100, even though it dropped last year. =O

Change your insurance company. Shopping around works.

Women are by far & away the best drivers on the roads. I hope you appreciate how difficult is is for me to have to admit that.

Momiji
03-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Women are by far & away the best drivers on the roads. I hope you appreciate how difficult is is for me to have to admit that.

I agree, but only when the goddamn cell phones are nowhere near their hands. :roll2

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM

Seriously. Guys may be more reckless, but girls seem to LOOOOOVE having their cell phone in one hand, talking or worse, texting away while driving, something I rarely see guys do (the texting, that is). A couple of weeks ago, I saw a girl on campus driving the wrong direction on the roundabout, text messaging away.

Of all the really smurfing stupid and dangerous things that someone could do, it's endangering yourself and everyone around you because you can't just wait to send your stupid mini e-mails.

Yeah, I notice on the way to school half the male drivers I see are on their phone, but the only people I've seen texting while driving are girls xD

Momiji
03-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I don't know what it's like in your area, but there are warning ads stating 'Don't Text and Drive' on local TV here. That's how bad it has become.

I kind of wish there was some way to rig up a system that disables text messaging in cars.

Oh, and in classrooms too. Every syllabus clearly states "TURN YOUR CELL PHONES OFF DURING CLASS!!!!", but every day you can hear the vibrating noises from across the room, because some idiot has their cell phone on the table, and then you see them clearly typing under the table. I wish the professors would kick them out, it's really distracting.

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Men are more than twice as likely to die in a car crash than women, consider the yearly statistics shown below. In fact, studies have shoiwn as many as 73 percent of all people killed in car accidents are male. Since record keeping began: male fatalities significantly outweigh female fatalities. However men and women do not drive the same number of miles under the same conditions- men do about 60-65% more driving than women. Studies show that woman take shorter trips and female drivers have a greater number of minor crashes than do men. However men are still 70% more likely to be in a serious crash.

Well done, you've managed to highlight the one part of that that slightly argues against what I said, whilst leaving the rest that completely agrees plain. Nice.

Also, Leeza, you should stop generalising. People would get less pissed at you if you said something like "All the men I see driving act like they own the road" rather than "All men act like they own the road".

Bunny
03-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I take pride in the fact that I had a hand in this chaos.

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd like to point out that by "people", I was actually referring to myself.

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Well done, you've managed to highlight the one part of that that slightly argues against what I said, whilst leaving the rest that completely agrees plain. Nice.

Also, Leeza, you should stop generalising. People would get less pissed at you if you said something like "All the men I see driving act like they own the road" rather than "All men act like they own the road".

The article merely says men are in less accidents, but die more.

You said statistics show men are worst drivers, but this shows that things are more complicated than that. If you were to look only at the number of accidents, not the severity, it would dispute the claim.

But if you were to look at who dies more, it would be men.

Nothing is black or white, there are only shades of gray.

Rantz
03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I take pride in the fact that I had a hand in this chaos.

You derailed your own thread with a six word post. I applaud you on this.

Quindiana Jones
03-07-2009, 10:57 PM

You said statistics show men are worst drivers, but this shows that things are more complicated than that. If you were to look only at the number of accidents, not the severity, it would dispute the claim.

Quality over quantity. If you manage to kill yourself and/or others, then I think that qualifies you as a worse driver than 100 people who got minor bumps and scrapes.

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Quality over quantity. If you manage to kill yourself and/or others, then I think that qualifies you as a worse driver than 100 people who got minor bumps and scrapes.

I suppose you could view it like that.

Then again, if 10% of the men get in an accident, and 7% dies. And 30% of women get in an accident, and 9% dies, who would be the better driver?

We know very little, because everything here is speculation. Maybe we should all refrain from this topic, I'm starting to see that we can't actually get it anywhere anyway.

Leeza
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh, I do.

I agree, but only when the goddamn cell phones are nowhere near their hands. :roll2
Generalizing.

By 'people' you mean 'you'. And, I did not say "All men...". I said, "Men...". But you're right. That did sound like a generalization. What I meant was... A LOT of men that I see act like they own the road. A LOT more than women.

Momiji
03-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Generalizing.

Unintended generalization.

And what I meant was that because it seems that girls text message while driving a lot more than guys do, they should not have one in their hands while they're driving. I never made a definitive all-encompassing statement. I agree that girls are better drivers, with the stipulation that they are not sending text messages while driving, making them a danger to themselves and everyone around them, much like you say that 'men act like they own the road', and not 'All men...'. It's true, a lot of guys do, but not all of us. I'm actually a very timid driver who follows speed limits and the rules of the road, making the 'all' generalization untrue anyway. :p

<!--Then again, I'm not exactly the portrait of masculinity...-->

Shiny
03-08-2009, 01:49 AM
A LOT of men that I see act like they own the road.
I've noticed this too. It's really annoying, especially if you're in the car with a "road alpha male".

Psychotic
03-08-2009, 03:10 AM
people who are not the same sex as me are gaylords ha ha ha now all my insecurity has washed away

wait

no it hasnt

fuck

Madame Adequate
03-08-2009, 03:15 AM
Sex war's over guys.

Men won again.

Iceglow
03-08-2009, 03:42 AM
I have something which is a really big rip off! And yes this exists...

Insurance for when you cannot make a payment on a bill.

Seriously I have an Argos card (Argos is a chain of catalogue stores which sell EVERYTHING in the history of EVERYTHING!) The card has a £500 limit allowing me to pay for something I might not have the ready cash for in several installments. I hate the damn thing, but it was useful for one thing once. Well with 29.7% apr I would have been better off cutting my own liver out and selling it but one of the options I had was to take "insurance" out so say I couldn't make payment one month the "insurance" which cost about £10 a month would pay for me...Strangely upon reading the insurance policy carefully theres about a million clauses which prevent them from ever actually having to pay out for you. Do I win?

Madame Adequate
03-08-2009, 05:06 AM
:skull::skull::skull::skull: I misread OP

thought you said massage not message

nvm

NeoCracker
03-08-2009, 06:33 AM
To put this thread back on topic,

The prize for this thread.

Shlup
03-08-2009, 11:25 AM

I talk on my cell phone and text while driving daily, and I've been in nine accidents. Not during a single one of those accidents was I even touching my cell phone.

Linus
03-08-2009, 05:13 PM
British, but relevant.

Texting while driving is more dangerous than drink-driving (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/news/article4776063.ece)

Also, there are many other blogs and smaller news links that support the same thing. Texting is worse than drunk driving, and is now taught in many driver's education courses complete with the gory videos that show corpses pulled from cars still clutching their phones.

Cuchulainn
03-08-2009, 05:39 PM

I talk on my cell phone and text while driving daily, and I've been in nine accidents. Not during a single one of those accidents was I even touching my cell phone.

NINE accidents? Jesus Christ. Someome somewhere needs to revoke your license.

Tama2
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I hope they weren't her fault.

Denmark
03-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Biggest ripoff? This thread. In GC I expect lulz, and all I get in this thread is srs bzns.

(which i assisted with)

Momiji
03-08-2009, 07:28 PM

So you're a special case, just like I am then? I'm a guy and yet I don't act like I own the road.

Vermachtnis
03-08-2009, 07:43 PM

You know statistically speaking from my house hold I have to disagree. Me and my dad have never been in accident or wrecked a car. My mom on the other hand hit a house, backed into our garage, been a couple of fender benders and that's just the tip of the iceburg. The first time my sister was out in car she drove it into the medium.

That's just my household though. I guess women drivers can be good, unless they are driving a White Van or something. People who drive White Vans are crazy. They go like 20 over the speed limit and are all over the road. I swear I saw the same White Van pulled over twice. Seriously people who drive these things suck at it.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/14039navigator2.jpg

Bunny
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Biggest ripoff? This thread. In GC I expect lulz, and all I get in this thread is srs bzns.

(which i assisted with)

You expect lulz from GC? Wow, you must not come here often.

Lawr
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm taking notes religiously.

rubah
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM

You know statistically speaking from my house hold I have to disagree. Me and my dad have never been in accident or wrecked a car. My mom on the other hand hit a house, backed into our garage, been a couple of fender benders and that's just the tip of the iceburg. The first time my sister was out in car she drove it into the medium.

The problem here is that you have a sample size of about 3-5. Cuchi has a sample size of 3000-50000

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Income tax is good if you actually want your government to have money so they can do things. Assuming you trust your government to not screw up. Sorta like how the Canadian Gov't said they'd put more money into post-secondary education. What do they do instead? Don't put more money into it and cut back taxes, meaning there is now less money going into the government so they can't even put more into education.

Then again, either way you are gonna pay. :/

Biggest rip off: credit cards. A vicious and endless cycle.

Loony BoB
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Another good ripoff, inspired by various posts in this thread: Text messages. 9p for a small text, or pretty much the same thing for a phonecall that would cover about 20 text messages? Hmmmmm.

Rantz
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Another good ripoff, inspired by various posts in this thread: Text messages. 9p for a small text, or pretty much the same thing for a phonecall that would cover about 20 text messages? Hmmmmm.

I have 3000 free texts per month. I usually use maybe three or four of them though.

Loony BoB
03-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Well, yes, if you have free texts then I'm sure it's not a ripoff. I'm sure that goes for people who (somehow, God knows) get free car insurance as part of some kind of contract, too. :p

Caraliz
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
condoms