PDA

View Full Version : Saddest Death(s) - spoilers inside

Forsaken Lover
03-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Which passing in a video game did you find the most depressing?

(please don't mentioN Aeris/Aerith..)

My top one is easily Emma Emmerich from Metal Gear Solid 2. People yap about how sad it was for Wolf and The Boss but they were soldiers. They were going to die sometime. Emma was an innocent traumatized girl who was killed by a crazed madman and who died without her last request being granted (well it was but she was dead by then). Otacon's reaction doesn't help...I can't watch that scene without feeling horrible.

EDIT BY BoB: To avoid problems, please can everyone mark spoilers for any game released on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii or any other game released in the last 3-4 years. :)

Lacarus
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Mine's not even a death, but it's supposed to look like it when the scene occurs. It's in Shadow of the Colossus when Agro (the horse) falls to it's 'death'. Your trusty companion throughout the whole is suddenly gone*sobs*

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh Tamagotchi, why oh why did i forget to feed you :cry:

Loony BoB
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Not exactly an in-game death (or death at all), but Red XIII's Dad is the only one that gets to me every time.

I was happy when Aeris died. :) She had it comin'.

Rocket Edge
03-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Jecht before the final summoning, that got to me. Dunno if you can really call him alive at the time though.

Vermachtnis
03-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Alys in Phantasy Star IV. I remember thinking the first time, The Labs didn't work?

Momiji
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Oh Tamagotchi, why oh why did i forget to feed you :cry:

:whimper:

Aeris' death wasn't sad. I was all 'WOO YOU JUST GOT IMPALED why the hell isn't anyone going after that White Materia it's bouncing so slowly just catch the damn thing so I can end this smurfing game on disc 1 aaaargh you idiots you let it fall'

Magixion
03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Crisis Core: All the emotion and drama leading up to the eventual death of the great Zack.

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Shinjuro and the Minato in Persona 3. Just watching the events leading up to either of them and their emotional impact cause you've played the game for so long. You feel just as devastated as the characters. This is the other thing that blew me away; how your party reacted and dealt with their deaths. It felt more realistic and now its difficult to watch other Video game deaths cause they all feel cheesy and unrealistic.

The Boss and pretty much the entire revelation about her in the ending of MGS3 is still one of the most powerful gaming moments for me. She sacrificed everything for a country that didn't care about her. Even lost her life to the only person she cared about still. Snake learns he's just been a pawn and a tool as well as the Boss. The fact you have to pull the trigger to kill her is heart wrenching.

Vivi in FFIX. He's my favorite character in the game damn it and not only did the game give Zidane his backstory and then practically reduce Vivi to a side character; the game then has the audacity to kill him off offscreen. It just isn't fair... :cry:

Shoeberto
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Half-life 2: Eli Vance. It's bummed the hell out of me both times I've played Episode 2. Ughhhhhhh, he's like the best character of the series.

MGS3: I agree with The Boss. The whole ending sequence after Eva leaves is just heart breaking. Another ughhhhhhhh because it just killed me.

Lacarus
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Vivi in FFIX. He's my favorite character in the game damn it and not only did the game give Zidane his backstory and then practically reduce Vivi to a side character; the game then has the audacity to kill him off offscreen. It just isn't fair... :cry:
He did get the epilog though.

Vermachtnis
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm playing through .Hack//G.U. and it's not really a death per se, but in Disk 2.

When Alkaid gets hit by AIDA and vanishes. She was my favorite character. I had plans of using her for the rest of the game. And what she was saying really tugged at my heart strings.

"Boys...don't...cry..." I didn't feel like playing for the rest of the day after that.

Monol
05-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Vivi hands down.

Its the only one that affected me as a person O_O

Vice Nebulosa
07-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Any Xenosaga enthusiasts on the premises? Well, despite the fact that the entire scene was tainted by damnable Western censorship tendencies (:frust:), the death of Jin Uzuki at the blades of swarming Gnosis (while chaos and KOS-MOS handled affairs of their own, blissfully unaware or unable to assist) was a fairly brutal thing. The fact that Jin seemed to see his demise coming and met his fate regardless certainly does nothing to lessen the impact when that bizarre hook-sword pierces his shoulder and (if memory serves) leg. :( Freaking MOMO would have been a considerably less difficult lamb to witness being sacrificed :mad:, although admittedly it would have little to no dramatic thrust.

Also, for those of you who have completed and enjoyed Chrono Cross, the death of Miguel in the Dead Sea is a considerably more poignant occurrence if you subscribe to the theory that Miguel may in fact be Crono. Mitsuda and his "People Seized With Life" piece lend enough to that kind of mood to make even the plight of the bumbling dwarves in the Hydra Marshes somewhat touching, so even if the Crono theory is incorrect, Miguel's final moments still create a remarkable scene . . .

trancekuja
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
SH :Covenant - Yuri dies...noooo,the best character ever!:cry:
Suikoden II - failing to save Jowy & Nanami:weep:

NeoCracker
07-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes to Xenosaga. That was depressing at the end. :cry:

On that note, if it wasn't for the fact the series was over, I would expect to See Dmitri again in the future, but thats an unrelated note entirely. :p

leader of mortals
07-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Crisis Core:Zack dying was probably the only video game I have ever cryed at... or at least in the past 5 years or so

Infinite Undiscovery:Although corny and not nearly as powerful as Crisis Core, the memory left throughout the game of Sigmund and the later realizations about him really are quite sad...

Depression Moon
07-06-2009, 01:56 AM
To me

Tidus in X

The Boss because of her whole backstory and what she was fighting for. Also the effect it had on Snake.

Definitely Vivi. When his kids showed up I was tore up.

NeoTifa
07-06-2009, 02:23 AM
MGS Grey Fox "hit me harder, Snake. Yes, more MORE!!!!

Madame Adequate
07-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Suikoden II: Nanami got me until I realized she could be saved.

FFVII: As with BoB it's the scene with Nanaki and Seto that gets me.

FFX: Yeah that ending got to me pretty badly. Sure the Tidus-Yuna thing sucked, but also how he'd never just chill with the Aurochs and play Blitz ever again and stuff.

Shadow of the Colossus: Yeah when Agro fell... I was sad. It came as a surprised because I hadn't really cared beforehand.

Call of Duty 4: Yeah so instead of being the all-conquering hero who saves the day... you spend a good minute crawling your broken body out of the wreck of a helicopter, past the bodies of your comrades, to look out upon a nuclear wasteland. And then you die.

Halo 3: When that little fucker betrays you and kills SERGEANT FUCKING JOHNSON I was mad pissed.

Vice Nebulosa
07-06-2009, 07:33 AM

No doubts there. And then there are the final sequences of the game, both of which are fairly heart-rending individually, and create a damned tragedy when brought together. :(

Shion: "It isn't something to be 'sad' about . . ."

You know, it kind of is. >:O

And secondly, the entire ending sequence where KOS-MOS' disembodied components are seen drifting in oblivion to the final line of dialogue "Good night", and the track "Maybe Tomorrow" starting up is painful, frankly. Rather a ruthless little plot, that game had. :erm:

On that note, if it wasn't for the fact the series was over, I would expect to See Dmitri again in the future, but thats an unrelated note entirely. :p

Yuriev ruled, in certain ways. Nothing on the sheer deranged power and style of Albedo, in my eyes, but Yuriev's ambitions of godhood were considerably better orchestrated, as far as subtlety goes. Fighting just about anything to the strains of "Godsibb" promises to be quite intense, but a battle with a prospective deity in his beastly E.S. craft is just flawless. :laugh:

On an even further removed note, Albedo's re-entry into the plot of Episode II, in the cutscene immediately before the battle with the Patriarch has to be one of the most anticipated and dramatic entrances in video game history. *_* They definitely toy with the player's hopes of actually using Albedo in battle until the final minute or so of the scene. Shame that they had to be dashed . . . =\

NeoCracker
07-06-2009, 08:05 AM

No doubts there. And then there are the final sequences of the game, both of which are fairly heart-rending individually, and create a damned tragedy when brought together. :(

Shion: "It isn't something to be 'sad' about . . ."

You know, it kind of is. >:O

And secondly, the entire ending sequence where KOS-MOS' disembodied components are seen drifting in oblivion to the final line of dialogue "Good night", and the track "Maybe Tomorrow" starting up is painful, frankly. Rather a ruthless little plot, that game had. :erm:

Yuriev ruled, in certain ways. Nothing on the sheer deranged power and style of Albedo, in my eyes, but Yuriev's ambitions of godhood were considerably better orchestrated, as far as subtlety goes. Fighting just about anything to the strains of "Godsibb" promises to be quite intense, but a battle with a prospective deity in his beastly E.S. craft is just flawless. :laugh:

On an even further removed note, Albedo's re-entry into the plot of Episode II, in the cutscene immediately before the battle with the Patriarch has to be one of the most anticipated and dramatic entrances in video game history. *_* They definitely toy with the player's hopes of actually using Albedo in battle until the final minute or so of the scene. Shame that they had to be dashed . . . =\

I hearby declare the saddest death in video game history the death of the Xenosaga team. :(

The Unknown Guru
07-06-2009, 08:14 AM
EDIT: Yeah, Xenosaga. Albedo's death was really touching for me, how he just wanted to be destroyd by his brother. Also, another nasty death was Canaan. He reveals his true purpose... then immediately sacrifices himself. Ouch.

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Xenosaga was a great series and I really wished it got a little more love. Even its own fans turned on it after Eps.II which is sad, cause the whole second disc kicked ass and Ep.III was damn near flawless in everything.

Albedo is easily one of my top fave RPG antagonists and Yuriev rocked. I also loved Voyager but regretfully his story never saw release outside of Japan which is sad cause I feel Pied Piper was easily the best written piece in the series and easily made Ziggy my favorite character.

The Unknown Guru
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Xenosaga was a great series and I really wished it got a little more love. Even its own fans turned on it after Eps.II which is sad, cause the whole second disc kicked ass and Ep.III was damn near flawless in everything.

Albedo is easily one of my top fave RPG antagonists and Yuriev rocked. I also loved Voyager but regretfully his story never saw release outside of Japan which is sad cause I feel Pied Piper was easily the best written piece in the series and easily made Ziggy my favorite character.

I agree with absolutely everything said here. Have a cookie :cookie:

Wolf Kanno
07-06-2009, 09:45 AM
*munch*:monster:

ReloadPsi
07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Aeris' death in FFVII was utterly tragic. She was the only character who, in battle, played any differently from any of the other party members. After she died, all the other characters were virtually the same except for two secret characters who were guaranteed to be fully effective from the back row.

So yeah, the death of any variety between characters in FF7 was my saddest death. Still my favourite game though.

(please don't mentioN Aeris/Aerith..)

Technically I mentioNed the variety in gameplay mechanics, so I'm okay.

Laddy
07-06-2009, 12:23 PM
In Baldur's Gate II, working so hard to build up a realistic relationship with a lover of your choice, only to kill him/her when they turn into a vampire is pretty goddamn depressing.

Psychotic
07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
MGS3 and Shadow of the Colossus. If you've played them, you'll know which ones. God damn.

Edge7
07-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, my saddest experience was in ff6

The death of Cid. Not only was it MY fault for not getting the damn fish, but Celes and Cid just became a family, and just to add more salt to the wound, Celes' Theme starts to play (a rather sad track imo), then she attempts suicide. I mean, when Celes enters the hut, and Cid just lays there motionless, I feel like the biggest ass ever for letting him die.

That's the second time I think I got teary eyed from playing a video game. It was just so sudden and unexpected.

Quindiana Jones
07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
The Darkness. Act 1. You'll know it if you've played it. Freaking. Gutted.

Vice Nebulosa
07-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Albedo's death was really touching for me, how he just wanted to be destroyd by his brother.

So you figure Albedo "died", so to speak? I always got the impression that he was simply integrated into Rubedo's consciousness somehow. Judging by his seeming immortality in Episode II (as Albedo himself said, the Patriarch literally reduced him to particles, and yet failed to do any true damage), just because Albedo may not be present in a physical sense does not mean that he is altogether absent. Perhaps I am mistaken about this one, but I was always fairly certain that Albedo and Rubedo became merged entities, permitting the former a period of "rest" in his perpetual state of undeath. And in "rest", perhaps Albedo simply occupies a more elementary state of matter, like the state to which he was reduced by the Patriarch.

*Shrug* It isn't as if any solid answers about the Xenosaga trilogy are forthcoming anymore, so we are free to theorize. :p

Episode III was just loaded in every respect. Since it was required (in a damned vicious turn of fate) that the plot be reduced from a sextet to a trilogy, Episode III had to oversee four plots in one (Episodes III, IV, V, and VI), and some aspects thereof were handled remarkably well, and some, understandably, were somewhat neglected. I am certain that the writing team would have liked a great deal more time to introduce the whole Mary Magdelene concept. As it was, the plot accelerated rather rapidly towards the end. *_*

As for Episode II, fans had legitimate reason to be incensed, in all fairness. The voice acting changes were brutal, and the soundtrack (minus a mere handful of tracks, primarily "Lamentation") was an utter joke when compared to the previous Mitsuda score (which wasn't even one of Mitsuda's best to begin with). It was essentially Albedo's game, however, and they developed the insane, inexorable tragedy of his existence extremely well (the moment where a young Albedo demonstrates his inability to commit suicide was particularly shocking, and his crippling fear of solitude particularly poignant). Thus, I consider it a good game; excellent in some respects, quite deficient in others.

I also loved Voyager but regretfully his story never saw release outside of Japan which is sad cause I feel Pied Piper was easily the best written piece in the series and easily made Ziggy my favorite character.

Yeah, Voyager wasn't much in the Americanized version. And they go very much out of their way in Episode II to imply that an in-depth backstory between Ziggurat 8 and Voyager is imminent. :mad: The Testaments in general were an exercise in squandered potential, depending on how you feel about the incredibly indecisive Kevin and the easily swayed Virgil. Albedo was the best developed, but even his exeunt felt rushed due to the time crunch that was Episode III.

Aeris' death in FFVII was utterly tragic.

That one never hit me, to be honest. :erm: No doubt related to the fact that I knew the general layout of the plot long before I ever managed to pry a copy of the game itself from Ebay, and that I watched Advent Children first. :laugh: So yeah, completely imperfect experience, but to be blunt, I never felt any particular attachment to Aerith at any time I can recall. I always got the impression from those who were affected by her demise that the impact really comes from the surprise with which it was enacted, which certainly explains what I was missing.

MGS3

Yeah, The End took a piece of my heart to his grave, as well. :( Seems like it was probably "his time", though. <_< >_>

Markus. D
07-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Infinite Undiscovery:Although corny and not nearly as powerful as Crisis Core, the memory left throughout the game of Sigmund and the later realizations about him really are quite sad...

The death that occurs in disk 2 made me tear up, which never happens :(
and then Capell gets some tailand you pretty much forget about it...

leader of mortals
07-09-2009, 03:24 AM

The death that occurs in disk 2 made me tear up, which never happens :(
and then Capell gets some tailand you pretty much forget about it...

Oh, I completely forgot about Faina... Her death was much more powerful and saddening than Sigmunds...

Wolf Kanno
07-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Albedo's death was really touching for me, how he just wanted to be destroyd by his brother.

So you figure Albedo "died", so to speak? I always got the impression that he was simply integrated into Rubedo's consciousness somehow. Judging by his seeming immortality in Episode II (as Albedo himself said, the Patriarch literally reduced him to particles, and yet failed to do any true damage), just because Albedo may not be present in a physical sense does not mean that he is altogether absent. Perhaps I am mistaken about this one, but I was always fairly certain that Albedo and Rubedo became merged entities, permitting the former a period of "rest" in his perpetual state of undeath. And in "rest", perhaps Albedo simply occupies a more elementary state of matter, like the state to which he was reduced by the Patriarch.

*Shrug* It isn't as if any solid answers about the Xenosaga trilogy are forthcoming anymore, so we are free to theorize. :p

This was my interpretation as well. It works considering Rubedo and Albedo were originally conjoined twins.

Episode III was just loaded in every respect. Since it was required (in a damned vicious turn of fate) that the plot be reduced from a sextet to a trilogy, Episode III had to oversee four plots in one (Episodes III, IV, V, and VI), and some aspects thereof were handled remarkably well, and some, understandably, were somewhat neglected. I am certain that the writing team would have liked a great deal more time to introduce the whole Mary Magdelene concept. As it was, the plot accelerated rather rapidly towards the end. *_*Well actually... The three Xenosaga games we got were originally planned to be simply Episode 1. Each episode was suppose to take place thousands of years apart and be a generational story, much like its original source, Xenogears, but time restraints made it impossible. Then the stuff from Episode 1 and 2 were suppose to be together, this was proven by the original trailer for the game (known among fans as the 8min 8sec trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDk8ufe7I8)) which actually featured scenes from episode 2 in it using the eps.1 graphics (it also shows symbols that Xenogears fans will know at 6:58 if you watch the background ;)).

That also obviously got trashed. Then after Episode 2 was released, Soraya Saga (one of the scenario writers, credited with the story arcs of Ziggy and the Yuriev/U.R.T.V. specifically) left Monolith Soft and posted on her blog about several editing and removals of the original script which included the entire plot of what we know as Episode 3. Fans speculated that she may have apparently quit due to this mismanagement of the project. So once again, they tried to wrap up the story for Episode 2 but early in production it got cut down again to being a trilogy.

The whole series was marred by bad decisions from Monolith Soft and time constraints. I'm surprised Eps. 3 came out as good as it did considering everything the project went through. Though I agree it still feels a bit rushed towards the end.

As for Episode II, fans had legitimate reason to be incensed, in all fairness. The voice acting changes were brutal, and the soundtrack (minus a mere handful of tracks, primarily "Lamentation") was an utter joke when compared to the previous Mitsuda score (which wasn't even one of Mitsuda's best to begin with). It was essentially Albedo's game, however, and they developed the insane, inexorable tragedy of his existence extremely well (the moment where a young Albedo demonstrates his inability to commit suicide was particularly shocking, and his crippling fear of solitude particularly poignant). Thus, I consider it a good game; excellent in some respects, quite deficient in others.I agree Eps.2 had some great merits, I fault it more for being lousy as a game rather than its plot though as you pointed out half the soundtrack was bad but I actually enjoyed most of Kaijura's tracks. I also felt that outside of building up the characters of the U.R.T.V.'s that the first disc hardly revealed anything we didn't already know from Episode 1. Most of the great reveals were in the second disc but once again, outside of the U.R.T.V.'s I felt no one else got any good character development except for Jin.

I also loved Voyager but regretfully his story never saw release outside of Japan which is sad cause I feel Pied Piper was easily the best written piece in the series and easily made Ziggy my favorite character.

Yeah, Voyager wasn't much in the Americanized version. And they go very much out of their way in Episode II to imply that an in-depth backstory between Ziggurat 8 and Voyager is imminent. :mad: The Testaments in general were an exercise in squandered potential, depending on how you feel about the incredibly indecisive Kevin and the easily swayed Virgil. Albedo was the best developed, but even his exeunt felt rushed due to the time crunch that was Episode III.

I stumbled onto a site that had a translated script for Pied Piper and was pretty damn amazed at how well it came out. So for me, the moments with Voyager were a bit more powerful but I agree Kevin's was a bit weak. Albedo really came out the strongest of the entire cast. Even more than Shion who never overcame her inherent flaw of being an unlikable bitch. Virgil I did feel got a bit more if you put in account what you know of him from Eps.1 Now that I think about it, Cherenkov was also one of the most powerful characters and deaths in that series...

Shattered Dreamer
07-09-2009, 12:29 PM
FFX Auron's death

The Last Remnant Emma Honeywell

MGS Meryl, even though she only died in the submit to the torture ending

GTA4 Cousin Roman, nah not really:p

chaos_ghost
07-29-2009, 04:16 AM
When Aeris died the only thing I thought was "Am I going to get my items back, or are they gonna stay on her."

For me, has to be Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon

Medi
07-29-2009, 04:31 AM
For me, has to be Lavitz in Legend of Dragoon

That, and in Metroid Prime 3: the deaths of Rundas and Gandrayda. Didn't care too much about Ghor. Why is it that anyone that poor bounty hunter ever meets ends up dying?

NeoCracker
07-29-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm going to go ahead and add in Lufia II: Rise of the Sinestrals. Maxim and Selan dying in the end, leaving their Child Jericho behind. :Cry:

Wolf Kanno
07-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Though it loses its impact if you played Lufia 1 ;)

NeoCracker
07-29-2009, 04:47 AM
I think it would still keep it, I mean knowing about a death in advance doesn't nescescarilly mean it loses it's emotion.

Take for example, X. You are told through the whole series, by Sarutobi himself, he will die to protect the women he loves, and guess what?? It happens. And when it did, I was so sad. :Cry:

In short, a well done death sequence doesn't have to be a surprise to be good. :p

Wolf Kanno
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM
Sora is alive in the manga though. I'm waiting for his death there cause knowing CLAMP, it will be a hundred times more heart wrenching than we can imagine. Like Seishiro or Nataku's deaths. :cry:

NeoCracker
07-29-2009, 04:55 AM
It was pretty freakin' heart wrenching in the Anime. :(

And Seishiro was easilly my favorite from the Dragons of Earth. Him and Subaru were the heart of that show man. Well, and Sora. XD

ON that note, at first I thought it was odd those two were the ones to get a prequal, Tokyo Babyon, and not the Main Character, Kamui. XD

Wolf Kanno
07-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Well X was started right after Tokyo Babylon finished running. ;)

On topic...

Sprite and Dyluck from Seiken Denetsu 2 :cry:

sephireland
07-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Mine's not even a death, but it's supposed to look like it when the scene occurs. It's in Shadow of the Colossus when Agro (the horse) falls to it's 'death'. Your trusty companion throughout the whole is suddenly gone*sobs*

Agree 100% it's the second thing I thought of when I read this thread title. Can't mention the first one apparently :)

Dolentrean
07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Man, Shadow of the Colossus. When Agro fell, I was yelling at the screen AGRO.... NOOOOOO!

Maybe a bit campy, and not a death but when Navi leaves link at the end of OoT, that was pretty upsetting.

sephireland
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Man, Shadow of the Colossus. When Agro fell, I was yelling at the screen AGRO.... NOOOOOO!

Maybe a bit campy, and not a death but when Navi leaves link at the end of OoT, that was pretty upsetting.

When it happened I actually looked at the last Colossus and said "you'd better hope your insurance is paid up". No idea where it came from and I've never said anything like it since :confused:

Shiny
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Admittedly, I teared a bit with Snake at the end of MGS3.

Markus. D
07-31-2009, 05:32 AM
When Faina dies in Infinite Undiscovery... I shed a tear :(... It's such an sad death :(... You really feel for Capell when it happens too.

Also going to mention Caim's final non-cannon death in Drakengard... It makes you feel really empty on the inside... You've survived hordes of horrors, a massacre of knights, obliterated giant Manah, evaded endless Grotesqueries and stopped multiple calamity from imploding the planet. Caim meets his death by a Modern Day Helicopter's Missile and is blamed as the primary threat.

When Alicia fades away in Valkyrie Profile 2... it's not a tear jerker, but you certainly feel a little bad for Rufus being unable to stop it.

black orb
08-01-2009, 12:12 AM
>>> My level 25 black belt.:weep:

Now seriously, Platina`s death in Valkyrie Profile was sad as hell.
and Gremio`s death in Suikoden 1 was very sad too..

Dante WolfWood
08-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Lavitz in legend of dragoon...saddest I had ever been playing a video game...i wont even play it past that point. tried three times.

shalua in DoC is sad as well.

The Boss in Snake Eater is pretty messed up too.

Moon Rabbits
08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Vivi in FFIX, and Sniper Wolf (Fox?) in MGS1.

TurkSlayer
08-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Not as much the actual death, but Luzzu's reaction to Gatta's death in FFX always sort of got to me.

Never was happy with the implications that Harle (Chrono Cross) and Vivi (FFIX) died either, though the latter is a bit more official.

I was sad about Rufus, but Advent Children sort of made a mockery of my pain.

Also:

http://www.thehermeticfeast.net/melonella/ffvi/ffvichap1/ffvi24.png

:C :C :C

Rodarian
08-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Xenosaga Episode 3: Febs death scene,Pellegri's Death Scene, Jin's Death Scene, KOS-MOS peusdo death scene

Aydin
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Persona 4 The death of Nanako made me cry... Although she was in the hospital, the game led you to believe that she was gonna be just fine! D:

Trumpet Thief
08-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Gaignun's sacrifice at the end of Xenosaga, as well as Albedo going to sleep all tore me apart, as well as seeing chaos dissapear and KOSMOS' torn apart body floating in space- all from Xenosaga.

Vivi from FFIX was also a heartwrencher.

EDIT: I just read a post with Lavitz from LOD. As cool as "The Platinum Shadow" was, him killing my favorite Dragoon was just unbearable.

qwertysaur
08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
The saddest part with Lavitz was seeing him in Disk 4 so tormented. :( That fight was just too freaky.

Persona 3... I was so wrapped into that game I was very shocked on the October 6th mission.

Also the companion cube :(

Markus. D
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't mind the replacement actually, loved his voice.

But yeah, I totally felt bad for Lavitz :[

*Devore*
08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm sure its been said before, but thats only because its very upsetting. Zack from crisis core. But its mainly because the last 10 minutes of the game has him fighting a battle we all know he can't win. With memories of the people he has met flashing through his mind. Very sad stuff. Its the only one that gets me.

sir helix
08-24-2009, 03:10 AM
Worst death ever?

The fans anticepation for xenosaga II

The death of lt virgil in ep I really got to me, and at the time i thought he was ziggy from the game booklet another death was my imagined twist for virgil, as soon as KOS MOS waisted him i started thinking he was gonna come back later caling himself ziggy.

Oh Albido why did you have to die, T-ELOS death (sorta) was avery touching scene, the battle music was so soothing as i was being shot by the Magdaline 16 el oh el

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Also, anyone who doesn't get a little teary when Lirum (Lost Odyssey) dies in front of her sobbing children and father is emotionally dead.

Shattered Dreamer
08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Admittedly, I teared a bit with Snake at the end of MGS3.

Yeah thats was a real tear jerker to be sure

Dante WolfWood
08-24-2009, 04:52 PM
quite possibly the saddest moment in any game ever....the flute playing boy from Link to the past. that was the first time I ever really getting watery in my eyes from a game:(

Trumpet Thief
08-25-2009, 12:40 AM
quite possibly the saddest moment in any game ever....the flute playing boy from Link to the past. that was the first time I ever really getting watery in my eyes from a game:(

I'd like to hear the story behind that, if you wouldn't mind. :p

Dante WolfWood
08-25-2009, 03:36 AM

Flute-playing Boy - Zeldapedia, The Legend of Zelda wiki - Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks, and more (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Flute-playing_Boy)

in Zelda: A link to the past, you meet a man in kakariko village, who tells you of his son who used to play the flute on a stump in the haunted grove to the animals. his son went to search for the "golden land" one day and never returned. if you go to the haunted grove, you can hear him playing and see the animals around him but as soon as you approach he disappears into thin air.

later in the game, when you get into the "dark world", you find him in the dark world"s haunted grove as a disfigured creature. he tells you that when he went searching for the golden land, he was trapped in this world and turned into this hideous creature. he also ask you to find his flute that he so loved to play (which is buried in a section of the haunted grove). when you find it, he will tell you he yearns to hear it play one more time, and as you play it for him, his cares are released, he slowly transforms into an inanimate tree like figure.

later, you can take the flute to the father and play it for him, and he will say that he recognizes that flute and ask you where is his son. he reads your sad face and realizes what happens and asked you to keep the flute, because he knows that is what his son would want. (when you beat the game, link wishes for the world to return to before this all happened and you see the boy again, but still very sad.

that was so sad to me, especially as a young kid and I felt so bad for the dad. remember almost balling like a little girl but my older brother picking on me so I didnt:p

Trumpet Thief
08-25-2009, 04:13 AM

Flute-playing Boy - Zeldapedia, The Legend of Zelda wiki - Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Spirit Tracks, and more (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Flute-playing_Boy)

in Zelda: A link to the past, you meet a man in kakariko village, who tells you of his son who used to play the flute on a stump in the haunted grove to the animals. his son went to search for the "golden land" one day and never returned. if you go to the haunted grove, you can hear him playing and see the animals around him but as soon as you approach he disappears into thin air.

later in the game, when you get into the "dark world", you find him in the dark world"s haunted grove as a disfigured creature. he tells you that when he went searching for the golden land, he was trapped in this world and turned into this hideous creature. he also ask you to find his flute that he so loved to play (which is buried in a section of the haunted grove). when you find it, he will tell you he yearns to hear it play one more time, and as you play it for him, his cares are released, he slowly transforms into an inanimate tree like figure.

later, you can take the flute to the father and play it for him, and he will say that he recognizes that flute and ask you where is his son. he reads your sad face and realizes what happens and asked you to keep the flute, because he knows that is what his son would want. (when you beat the game, link wishes for the world to return to before this all happened and you see the boy again, but still very sad.

that was so sad to me, especially as a young kid and I felt so bad for the dad. remember almost balling like a little girl but my older brother picking on me so I didnt:p

Oh wow. That reminds me of the Deku Scrub that died in Majora's Mask when Link was turned into one at the beginning of the game. I remember the father?/master of the Deku Scrub is seen finding him at the end of the game montage

Wolf Kanno
08-25-2009, 04:24 AM
For some reason, talking about the Ocarina kid just reminds me of the Jumi tribe from Legend of Mana... God that was a rather disturbing story... I don't know why it reminds me of it but it does, maybe because of the ending concerning the 'fate of those who cry for the Jumi"

Dante WolfWood
08-25-2009, 04:46 AM

Oh wow. That reminds me of the Deku Scrub that died in Majora's Mask when Link was turned into one at the beginning of the game. I remember the father?/master of the Deku Scrub is seen finding him at the end of the game montage

ya I forgot about that one, that one to me was almost more disturbing than sad...hell the whole game was.

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
The genophage in Mass Effect is pretty fucked up! I feel bad for the krogan. Especially Wrex - I didn't want to kill him ; - ;. Actually, all the Mass Effect deaths are pretty sad. Especially the ones you have to chose between ¬_¬

Loony BoB
09-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Rabbits: You didn't have to kill him. =x

Moon Rabbits
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Rabbits: You didn't have to kill him. =x

Oh, I know. Actually, Ashley killed him, not me ... I tried to save him!

Carl the Llama
09-02-2009, 10:29 AM
It has to be said.

Aerith, yep I said it. I almost came to tears when I saw that esp with the speech and the music, very moving imo.

I would post more but I feel Aerith deserves a whole post of her own.

Crimson
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Aerith never did it for me, Galuf on the otherhand, THAT was a death to be remembered, he went out like a badass.

Though I didnt cry over his death, I cried at what I got as a replacement.

Heath
09-02-2009, 11:11 AM
SH :Covenant - Yuri dies...noooo,the best character ever!:cry:

Really? I thought of SH:C when I saw this thread, but my immediate thought was the death of Alice. It was such a beautifully done scene and watching her die in the presence of Yuri after being alive again for mere moments was terribly sad.