PDA

View Full Version : Chocobo Breeding vs. Anything Else

Forsaken Lover
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
...when it comes to the most tedious, un-fun sidequest, does anything else in FF come close?

Honestly, I don't even know why I did it years ago. I just said I would and I did. I talked to the senile old man. I raced in that stupid Gold Saucer thing. I ran around in circles trying to catch the best Chocobo and I traveled to the islands to get nuts.

And for what? At least the Via Infinito (the second most tedious thing I've ever expereinced iN FF) gave you accessories that were pretty good. Chocobo Breeding in FFVII was just not worth it at all for me.

Thank god FFIX got the Chocobo Sidequest right.

Loony BoB
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I loved the chocobo breeding thing. It had quality benefits to it, which is really what makes a sidequest worthwhile. I don't get how you can think that things such as the Knights of the Round materia are not worthwhile when it's amongst the most powerful attacks in the game (if not the most powerful? I forget). I'm pretty sure the other things you get thanks to chocobo breeding are also very useful. Maybe you did it wrong. :confused:

The only sidequests I've found genuinely annoying are the ones which, despite having good reward, are incredibly difficult (at least for myself). The most annoying one for me was the chocobo race in FFX, which I could never get done right. I grew incredibly frustrated at this.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Blitzball.

Man. Blitzball.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I love the minigames in all the FFs except Tetra Master in IX, they screwed that up really bad. It was just random, and I have actually seen a 0P00 goblin defeat a really high lvl Shiva.

But Chocobo Breeding was fun and easy for me, and the rewards were awesome. I love racing chocobos in my free time, and even Teioh loses to me every time.

In FFVIII I loved the card game, too. And in IX, Chocobo Hot and Cold was so fun and addicting. Also, Blitzball... I've put over 800 hours into FFX, and probably 200 of them are in Blitzball, I love it. I've also logged alot of time into 15 puzzle in I.

Marshall Banana
03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Blitzball.

Man. Blitzball.
Ugh.

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Blitzball... seriously their is nothing really as obnoxious as Blitz Ball. It nets you nothing worthwhile in terms of items, once your team gets a few levels or you hire good people, the difficulty of the game plummets to zero. To make it worse, its the only smurfing sidequest you have available until you get to the Calm Lands, 30 hours later in the game. My option is left to either playing the pointless Mini-game, or play through the atrocious story.

Tetra Master is also freaking annoying but at least IX had other good mini games and side quests to do so you could avoid it except for one story part. Its only made more frustrating by the fact we had played an excellent card game in VIII. Triple Triad rules.

Rosa's mini game In FFIV DS is also pretty ridiculous and stupid.

Chocobo Breeding is actually one of my favorite mini-games in the series. I just need to track down a Wonderful and train it with my Black to get my Gold. Course, all I need it for is KotR which I never use but I do make good use of the others. :D

Saber
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I liked tetra master more then blitzball, atlast you got a nice card collection. anyways there were some perks with chocobo breeding.

1. You get good materia like mime, which means you can mime magic, summons, and commands (including 4 time cut, slash all, and even limit breaks), you get quadra magic which allows you to cast any spell 4 times (8 with w-magic) great with comet 2. Then there's the hp<>MP materia which can allow you to never need a ether ever!! when your low on mp say, 8000 hp 10/999 mp equip the materia that will make 10/999 hp and 8000/9999 mp. heal hp and take off the materia.

2. you can play the chocobo racing game. Along with gaining all the items you can win = worth doing. if you wn so many times on S rank you get a hellalota stuff for free. not to mention all the gp you can gain during the process.

3. You get knights of the round which can own Sephiroth as well as most bosses. If it don't kill them it will get close enough.

besides all that its fun to see a chocobo who can climb mountains, cross rivers, walk in the ocean and even walk without fighting a battle. fun times it is.

Goldenboko
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Not worth it? Mime, and KOTR break the game xD

Most tedious can annoying? Uh. Guess that's got to go to blitzball. It was fun at first, but eventually it just gets to a point where you realize how stupid it is. Too bad, the idea had such potential.

Flying Mullet
03-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Blitzball.

Man. Blitzball.

Half of the sidequests to obtain the ultimate weapons in FFX were annoying and were based more in luck than in skill.

champagne supernova
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I enjoyed chocobo breeding, because of the racing. After I got a Gold chocobo, I had to start breeding them to become better and better. And I enjoyed Blitzball. And the Al-Bhed Psyches were always good. But I enjoyed the challenge of beating the Luca Goers in the first tournament. Good fun.

Triple triad is probably my most favourite. Fishing in XII my least.

Levian
03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Tetra Master I never bothered to play more than a few times, and Sphere Break I only played long enough to get the Lady Luck dressphere.

The only thing that's a bitch with the choobo sidequest is those damned chocobo races. I could choke a squirrel a death each time a chocobo passes me right before that damned finish line because I'm almost out of stamina. :mad2: It's also a bitch when you get a green and a blue chocobo of the same gender. There's a 50% chance but somehow it always happens.

Lacarus
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Half of the sidequests to obtain the ultimate weapons in FFX were annoying and were based more in luck than in skill.
Not really. Kimahri's and Tidus just required a route, I never had troublewith those, Lulu's where easy if you had a 'No Encounter' skill on a weapon/armor. So, yeah, it's skillz alright. But Blitzball is tedious, probably the worst mini-game imo. Chocobo breeding weren't much fun either. The best is definitely Choco's H&C and The Hunt in XII as a second.

Darkswordofchaos
03-10-2009, 01:33 AM
I hated blitzball but most of all in the hole series was to get lulu's sigel when you have to dodge an ass of lighting

Depression Moon
03-10-2009, 01:34 AM
I didn't even know there was Chocobo breeding in thie game until about a year ago, but I never bothered with it. It seemed to take too much effort and I agree that iX did the best with them. Almopst all other mini games I'm okay with except for Sphere Break. I'm an artist, not a scientist.

Marshall Banana
03-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I think that Sphere Break is fun, but it's not very rewarding, I guess (compared to Triple Triad).

Jessweeee♪
03-10-2009, 03:58 AM
I looooove Triple Triad n.n

Rebellious Eagle
03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I hate all the sidequests in FFX to get the stupid sigils. >_>
And blitzball...I hate that game so much. It's really boring, and Wakka's weapon isn't even that useful.

The Man
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Blitzball.

Man. Blitzball.

This. I didn't find chocobo breeding to much better, mind you.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-12-2009, 01:21 AM
So much hatred on Blitzball, I loved it. You all just don't appreciate a good (mini) game.

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Its tedious and all you need in terms of strategy is to just give the ball to Tidus :p Good god, I made a terrible pun...:(

Lacarus
03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I loved it at first, but after 70 matches using the strategy (pass the ball to Brother and let him lure the opposing team away from the goal and so on) it got kinda boring. And before you all go "then try this and this strategy", I did do that by trying to have three players as top scorers, but it was still a bit boring.

Momiji
03-12-2009, 03:00 PM
So much hatred on Blitzball, I loved it. You all just don't appreciate a good (mini) game.

You just happen to appreciate a boring minigame. :roll2

I didn't like Tetra Master either. Triple Triad was okay. Come to think of it, a lot of the minigames were incredibly boring and tedious.

The Man
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Mini-games in general are usually boring and tedious.

Roogle
03-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I strongly dislike minigame sidequests like chocobo breeding and chocobo racing. If the game is too frustrating or difficult, like dodging 200 lightning bolts to obtain the Venus Sigil, then I will use a Gameshark or similar device to bypass that. My time is too valuable to spend it on such a frustrating process.

Masamunemaster
03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Blitzball.

Man. Blitzball.

especially in x2....just sittin there watchin them lose over and over...

blackmage_nuke
03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
I found 200 lightning bolts and the chocobo race to be very irritating.

Also though its not really a sidequest drawing magic in FFVIII was rather tedious.

Elly
03-14-2009, 06:11 PM
i loved Chocobo Breeding & Racing in FFVII, i loved Blitzball in FFX, but my most hated has to be the nigh improbable Baloon Race to get Tidus' Sigil in FFX...

Rantz
03-14-2009, 07:00 PM
I love aaaaaall minigames. :jess:

Except for the basketball throwing game in the Gold Saucer. FUSHURURU... :mad2:

NeoTifa
03-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Blitzball sucked. I thought breeding chocobo's were fun! Of course, that's when my house caught on fire and I had nothing better to do in the hotel room but do that. Tee hee hee.