PDA

View Full Version : Am I not cool enough?

Depression Moon
03-11-2009, 11:09 PM
I've been having problems for a while now with the God of War series. A while back I bought God of War and beaten it twice, but the 3rd time around my PS2 couldn't read it. I just bought GoWII a couple of days ago and guess what, nmy pS2 can't play that either. I took them back today and exchanged them, but these new discs still can't play on my PS2. All of my other games work just fine. Why can't I play God oif War, why just why!?

o_O
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
It's weird that other games would work fine, but at a guess I'd say the problem is a laser that's become slightly misaligned coupled with a specific way that it needs to read from the God of War discs. Do you get any sort of error message when you try to load it up?

Depression Moon
03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Disc read Error

o_O
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, the disc read error is very commonly caused by a misaligned laser. Has the PS2 taken any bumps or shocks lately?

You can open it up and realign the laser yourself if you like; it's a simple, but pretty touch and go process and you need to be extremely gentle with the internal components of the PS2. It's very easy to knock the laser out even further if you aren't careful - I've ruined a couple of PS2s this way.

Is it a fat or slim PS2?

Depression Moon
03-11-2009, 11:53 PM
fat.

o_O
03-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Check <a href="http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php?pagename=Ps2LaserAdjustmentAndReplacementGuide">here</a> for a guide to realigning your laser if you're game. Once again I can't stress enough how important it is to be careful when doing this. NEVER touch the laser lens or try to force anything, only twist the one cog required to change the alignment and only twist one or two clicks at a time, and test the disc read in between adjustments. Also, I highly recommend marking the cog so that if nothing else you can return it to the original position.

Depression Moon
03-12-2009, 02:55 AM
I can't even get that disc tray open those small screws, but I thought it was too dangerous to do anyway, like you said, you have to be delicate and Im heavy handed, so I don't want to risk anything. Thanks for the help though.

Jiro
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
You could probably take it into a local GameTraders store, they've been the best help when I've had dodgy consoles. Hopefully they can take a look, or at least recommend somewhere to get it fixed properly.

Depression Moon
03-13-2009, 12:03 AM
They told me call Sony.:mad2: