PDA

View Full Version : MISS

Levian
03-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Don't you just hate that word? and don't you sometimes wonder if any status spell actually works in this game?

The status spells are cool in theory, but I never bother using them because they never work. Would be pretty badass to turn enemies into toads though.

Are there any status spells you use often?

Rantz
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
I like using Sleep+All when I meet a group of enemies, especially if I'm going to steal from them. It usually works on at least some of them. It works well for the Search Crowns (picture below) on Mt. Corel, for example. They come in large groups and you can steal a Turbo Ether from each.

http://ffonline.com/1_ff7en/searchcrown.jpg

Big D
03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Hades + Added Effect + Slash All is pretty fun.
But by the time you've got all of those, your characters are usually strong enough that Statuses aren't much of an issue. The above combo works on Ruby Weapon's tentacles, though,

Saber
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
I use poison/bio on a lot of bosses. Works great and during end game the hades/added effect is good. I hate that one guy inthe glaciers that misses everytime. He's a big red guy I forget his name.

Masamunemaster
03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I hate that word on games like 8 and 10 when you can improve their Acc to MAX...but yet they still miss....

Shoeberto
03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Honestly, except for maybe the odd Haste and Regen here and there, I never used status magic in any FF games until I realized in FFIV DS that you actually needed to in order to not get destroyed in later dungeons.

In random encounters I usually just try to do physical attacks and save my MP just in case a boss comes up without giving me the chance to heal, and status magic usually doesn't affect bosses except for the odd few, so yeah. I just pretty much let it sit.

MJN SEIFER
03-12-2009, 11:19 PM
I very rarely use status changes myself either. The only I use a lot is on my team. (It helps me get Limit Breaks faster, but I think my characters recieve more damage.)

theundeadhero
03-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't use them in any games. I never really see the need.

Jessweeee♪
03-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I just Hyper my party and sometimes slow the enemy.

Aerith's Knight
03-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Never!

Status is the evil of our time.

Although Attack+sleep is pretty badass in FFVIII with 100% chance of succeeding.

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Status magic blows until you get the Added Effect Materia to make them work better. Course, once Hades and Chaos enter the picture, the materia is a bit obsolete.

I've been playing with status magic a bit more this playthrough but as usual its not as useful on its own without using support materia. VIII did something similar since status magic only seemed to work when it was attached to a weapon attack. XII is still the only title that makes good use of Status magic in the series for me, with VIII being a close second.

DarkBahamut
03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
ROFL, FF7 is definitely one of the worst games for status changes. In the Battle Arena (Gold Saucer), once you're toad, you just piss yourself.

But I used poison+all once and it served a can of Whoop @$$

Big D
03-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Poisoning your own team, when they're equipped to absorb poison damage, is an awesome way to get an even-more-powerful-than-Regen effect:)

:edit: Especially when it happens in the Battle Arena, and even more especially when it happens several times in a row. Take that, penalty reels!

Jessweeee♪
03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Never!

Status is the evil of our time.

Although Attack+sleep is pretty badass in FFVIII with 100% chance of succeeding.

Junctioning is so fun xD

Darkswordofchaos
03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
The only status effect i use often is BIO. I usally Just use the added effect on my weaopn. Contain plus added effect is also a really good combo

Goldenboko
03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
I've used Bio a lot early on so far.

Del Murder
03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Status spells are hardly useful in earlier FF games. Pre-FFXI I can only remember using Sleep in FFI and Meltdown in FFVIII with any regularity.

DarkBahamut
03-19-2009, 02:41 AM
I think Cross-Slash is kinda actually useful in the start.

NeoTifa
03-19-2009, 06:37 AM
They've rigged the game against you. I used toad often however.

MJN SEIFER
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't realy see the point of RPGs giving you the abillitity to use bad status changes - they never seam to work. I get that some of them double as the cure if you are affected (Toad for example), but I think they should have just thought of a cure and used that, and kept status changes as enemy only attacks.

BG-57
03-20-2009, 01:04 AM
I didn't bother much with status ailments in FFVII. I had a lot of fun junctioning 100 Pain to Stat-Atk in FFVIII through. FFT was the other game where I used status ailments a lot.

Aerith's Knight
03-20-2009, 01:13 AM
and Meltdown in FFVIII with any regularity.

One word.

Aura.

Skyblade
03-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I didn't bother much with status ailments in FFVII. I had a lot of fun junctioning 100 Pain to Stat-Atk in FFVIII through. FFT was the other game where I used status ailments a lot.

I find 100 Death to Stat-Atk does away with pretty much any need for inflicting status ailments.

Negative
03-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Status effects are good and fun.

However I just can't be bothered using them because:
1. They enemy is easy and i can kill them easy with atacks.
2. Its a boss and almost nothing works.
3. I cant be bothered.

This applies mainly in Disk 1.

However when i get bad breath i use it cuz it uses nearly all statuses. I also like to use aded effect with bio or stop.

BG-57
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I find 100 Death to Stat-Atk does away with pretty much any need for inflicting status ailments.

Oh, I have one of the other characters with that as well, but many enemies are immune to insta-kills, so I hedge my bets.

The Turk
03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I like the status spells. The best being the Enemy Skill Bad Breath. When I do the Special Battle Square I used that during every fight. I think it's a cocktail of poison, sleep, confuse and mini. Poison is almost too powerful in VII.

As for the word 'mini' I love it! Mainly because I have a Mystile equipped on every character so the word 'miss' usually means the enemies attack has failed.