PDA

View Full Version : Twilight is trying to interfere with my graduation.

Jessweeee♪
03-13-2009, 12:12 AM
So I've been getting these notices in the mail saying that I have serious library fines and I haven't been going there much at all this school year. This morning I finally got around to asking them about it and they said I had two fines.

1. Dazzling Optical Illusions - $10
Apparently I checked this out in June 2003 (the month I moved to this city) with another account registered at an address I've never lived at. The name and birthday was right, and it sounded like something I'd have checked out when I was twelve. Later I remembered that I was at my Aunt's one day that summer and she took us to the library. I guess she turned the book in really late or something.

2. Eclipse - $40 or something really high like that
Now this is really weird and I have no fucking clue how I got this fine. I checked this one out last year. Either I turned the book in on time, or I let my friend borrow it because she was like OMG JESSICA I HAVE TO READ THAT. I don't lend borrowed books to people so I probably just turned it in. You can't check out any books at my library if you have fines or overdue books. The last time I was at the library was...maybe a month ago, and I was able to check out a volume of Fruits Basket with no problems so I don't think this fine is from that time. My cousin is a super big Twilight fangirl, and she checks out the first book every time she sees it on the shelf. The first couple of months she was living here, I let her check out books on my card. At this time she had her own copy of Eclipse (it was recently stolen, however), so I don't know why she would check it out. Another thing that could have happened is a girl who looks similar to me got ahold of my ID and checked the book out and kept it, leaving me to deal with the fine. The librarian recommended that I just pay the lost book fee and keep it. I don't think he believed me when I said I had no idea why I had that fine. I officially hate Twilight now. I can't graduate if I have fines D:

Topic:

Libraries and everything to do with them.

Aerith's Knight
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
It was worse when I lost a math book from the Physics library in Albany.

Cost me 80 bucks to replace it. I was faculty at the time, so I could take out 200 books. At the end of my 6 months I had a small library in my office. xD

Didn't think I'd lose one though.

Yar
03-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I haven't been to the municipal library in years and I never got books at our school library.

Books suck.

Markus. D
03-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I prefer not to read... I'm great at it though.

rubah
03-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I love libraries, or would if I had time to get stuff from them ;.; The Fayetteville public library is especially wonderous, a great glass and brick structure, so pretty.

My high school librarian asked if I had a book called "The Day After Roswell", which I had never heard of, and she figured it was just misshelved. It was lucky I was in her French class at the time else she might have skinned my hide. But eventually she found that it was misshelved, and intrigued, I checked it out. It was terrible. Not recommended unless you enjoy conspiracy theories!

And when I was starting to learn about webpages, I checked out a book on HTML 4 and it got lost under some papers so I forgot it for a month until the librarian was like 'umm, you have a $4 fine for this book' and I was like 'huh, what book' I think I had actually looked for it on the shelves and wondered why it wasn't there.

As for books in general, I left one of my mom's books on a coach in France :X I e-mailled the school I had gone to though, and unbelievably, they actually mailed it back to me. I was so grateful.

~*~Celes~*~
03-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Haven't checked a library book out in years. I never checked any out at the school's library either...Well, I did in like, 6th grade I think, but that was it.

Iceglow
03-13-2009, 01:01 AM
I haven't used a library in years to be honest, I can't stand getting books from them all beaten up and screwed about with sometimes with pages missing ect and then having to pay fines on them or something (seriously if you ever reported a book was damaged when you went to my local library they'd immediately insist it was fine when they loaned it you and that you had to pay like £10 + the cost of the book so no one ever reported damaged books meaning they just sat on the shelf because the librarians were lazy and didn't check them over between loans) Though thanks to a friend who used to work in the library I went to (she was in my college japanese class, I used to smoke weed and sleep with her sometimes, she wasn't my type really but sex is sex) I never got any fines because she'd either quietly delete the fines or re-issue the book for me untill she got a proper job and quit. Her ex-colleague really fancied her and was jealous that she'd sleep with me when he considered himself better looking, so he tried to place huge fines on my account for books I hadn't checked out it got him fired in the end but I was sick and tired of the library by that point so I stopped going and decided that I would only read books if I brought them so I tend to buy brand new books for about £7 - £10 and then every so often when my collection is getting too big for me to cope with I'll be ruthless and dispose of a load via charity shops because I cannot stand throwing books away.

NeoTifa
03-13-2009, 01:30 AM
I owe them millions of dollars

Momiji
03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
I knew Twilight was nothing but trouble. :roll2

Namelessfengir
03-13-2009, 01:59 AM
ive never gotten anything from the highschool library that wasn't for school.

Bunny
03-13-2009, 02:22 AM
The last book I checked out from a library was The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings. I did so under my mother's boyfriend of the time and we never returned it. Good book though.

Oh, this was during my freshman year of high school.

Jiro
03-13-2009, 07:34 AM
The school library tried to charge me for two textbooks I returned before the due date. I wasn't happy with that, nor the fact they didn't apologise for demanding I pay with angry notices.

I Took the Red Pill
03-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I always have something checked out from my college's library and it's almost always overdue. They can't fine me for it so I guess I just don't care. It's a smurfing POWER TRIP.

Værn
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
My library had some "customer appreciation week" or some jazz like that, when the went ahead and cleared out all of the late fees for everybody who showed up during the week. I checked out a book back in early elementary school, probably 8-10 years ago, and lost it, so I had a wicked fee... but they cleared it for me :D

Miriel
03-13-2009, 09:32 AM
I love library environments. I remember visiting one of the more prestigious ones at my University Campus and being all, "holy crap!" about it.

But I hate borrowing books. I like playing for keeps. I'd rather sit at the library for hours and get everything I need from a book rather than check the book out. It just seems like a huge laborious chore to adhere to return dates and all that. I had a LOT of fines at my hometown library cause I just couldn't be bothered to return books.

Balzac
03-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't use library's. I just get ebooks, that way I know I'll have the book I want when I need it.

escobert
03-13-2009, 08:41 PM
I ust buy the book.

The Man
03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Twilight is the worst book I've ever not read. Besides maybe anything written by L. Ron Hubbard, but that's still questionable.

And yeah, I'm not much of a user of libraries, just because I get large discounts on books due to being a book store employee. Then again I haven't been buying many books lately anyway due to the large collection I've still not read :monster: