PDA

View Full Version : (4 Months Later) By The Way, My Name Is...

Evastio
03-13-2009, 04:46 AM
(Me hanging out at the lounge during lunch)

Guy #1: That sure sucks (insert my real name here).
Guy #2: Huh, what?
Me: I thought I told you not to say my name!! I told you I don't like it!!
Guy #1: (To Guy #2) You mean you don't know his name? Then what do you call him when you try to get his attention?
Guy #2: Uh, I don't know.

So, yeah. I guess it's official that I'm as reluctant to reveal my real name in real life as I am online. It's also really strange, considering that I've been hanging out at that lounge since November, and have gotten familiar with the people that hang out there, knowing most of their names, while everyone except for Guy #1 (who I reluctantly told my name after he asked me for it) and a friend I've known for 6 years now (who also invited me to hang out at that lounge), don't even know my name.

So when you meet up with someone, and you figure you're going to be seeing them and talking to them quite a lot, do you introduce yourself to them and tell them your name first thing, after you meet up with them enough times, or do you try to avoid people knowing your name altogether?

Yar
03-13-2009, 04:48 AM
I give my name if it's asked or if I'm introducing myself. :p

Madame Adequate
03-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Hi Sue.

~*~Celes~*~
03-13-2009, 04:50 AM
I give my name if it's asked or if I'm introducing myself. :p

Fonzie
03-13-2009, 04:51 AM
I bet your name is like Long Dong Silver.

qwertysaur
03-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I give out my names pretty openly. (Yes, I have more then one name)

btw My Hebrew name is Binyamin Avraham ben Rivkah Kaiylah.

Tama2
03-13-2009, 04:53 AM
I always introduce myself. I feel rude otherwise.

LunarWeaver
03-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Evastio, I know your name and it is actually neat, not something to hide.

I don't initiate introductions, but usually they do and say their name, and I just say Kyle. Problem solved.

Goldenboko
03-13-2009, 04:58 AM
His name isn't even bad, however John Batman does have the right to stay indoors.

LunarWeaver
03-13-2009, 04:59 AM
I would hock over millions of diamonds for my name to be John Batman.

Yar
03-13-2009, 05:01 AM
btw My Hebrew name is Binyamin Avraham ben Rivkah Kaiylah.Can I have a Hebrew name? :)

Fonzie
03-13-2009, 05:13 AM
btw My Hebrew name is Binyamin Avraham ben Rivkah Kaiylah.Can I have a Hebrew name? :)

How about Woody Allen?

Crimson
03-13-2009, 05:15 AM
My name is the irish equivalent of John (despite that im not Irish), shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

Shoeberto
03-13-2009, 05:17 AM
I always feel goofy introducing myself as "Stu," so usually I introduce myself as Stuart. Then, if they're around friends/family, it gradually will transition to Stu. So how people refer to me is a pretty decent implication as to how closely they know me.

Momiji
03-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Kind of funny really. When I meet people, we'll introduce ourselves by name, and then never call the other by name. :p

qwertysaur
03-13-2009, 05:30 AM
Nas'hich Chibah ben Shana Sarah.
It literally means Prince of love son of Beautiful Princess.

Levian
03-13-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm getting a bit bored with introducing myself at parties, it's just a formality and few people actually pays attention to what the other person says, so I decided to spice it up a bit. I introduce myself as Heidi. I'd say about 50% actually catches on to the fact that I'm messing with them and the other 50% is probably too focused on saying their own name that they don't actually pay attention to what I'm saying. The 50% that do notice will often come up with a wtf face or tell me that's an unusual name for a male, and when they do I tell them my real name and compliment them for paying attention. It's a good ice breaker too, so it's not like I do it only to be an ass.

rubah
03-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Stu invariably introduces me as Allie >:[ But I guess I introduce him as stu, so we're even >:D

I usually will strike up a question or conversation with someone and have to belatedly go 'oh, my name is Allison, btw, what's yours?' or 'what's your name anyways?'

I did that the other day and learned the Japanese guy who sits near me in diff e is named 臼杵! well, maybe not spelled just like that. I'll ask him sooner or later though.

I Took the Red Pill
03-13-2009, 05:52 AM
"Hey, I'm Keith"

look buddy it's not that hard

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Names have power of people. I will use all your proper names to manipulate you all!

Mwhahahahahaha!

Actually, I usually always introduce myself as Bobby pretty much right away, or after a bit when I noticed I haven't or neither have they. Depends on the flow of the conversation.

Sorta weird since most of my profs know me as "Robert" because that's what it says on the roster. It sorta makes it weird when I make friends in class, because they will hear the prof say Robert but my other friends will call me Bobby or will introduce myself as Bobby. Anyways, I prefer Bobby.

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I do give my name but its so unremarkable that people tend to forget it easily. I don't necessarily care for my name but at the same time I don't mind being called by it. Though I prefer the shortened version of it over my full name.

As a rule, I prefer being known by reputation rather than just by my name. :)

Misfit
03-13-2009, 06:28 AM
I tell my name to people. Then I tell it to them again because they don't get it. Then I have to keep reminding them how to pronounce it everyday. I really don't get why it's so hard for people to pronounce... goddd

SNOOZER
03-13-2009, 06:37 AM
I tell my name to people. Then I tell it to them again because they don't get it. Then I have to keep reminding them how to pronounce it everyday. I really don't get why it's so hard for people to pronounce... goddd

I know exactly what you mean.

Me: Hey my name is Jed.
Person: Jin?
Me: Jed.
Person: Jon?
Me: Jed.
Person: Jennifer?
Me: Yes, I'm Jennifer, it's nice to meet you.

Anyway back to topic. I impose my will to everyone I meet.

rubah
03-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Names have power of people. I will use all your proper names to manipulate you all!

Mwhahahahahaha!

Actually, I usually always introduce myself as Bobby pretty much right away, or after a bit when I noticed I haven't or neither have they. Depends on the flow of the conversation.

Sorta weird since most of my profs know me as "Robert" because that's what it says on the roster. It sorta makes it weird when I make friends in class, because they will hear the prof say Robert but my other friends will call me Bobby or will introduce myself as Bobby. Anyways, I prefer Bobby.

that's why I have a secret name ^_^_^

Jiro
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
People always mishear me the first time I say my name, but giving my nickname isn't an option. So I just have to repeat myself.

o_O
03-13-2009, 07:07 AM

Shalyn, like Saline with an h.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Mwhahahahahaha!

that's why I have a secret name ^_^_^

Curse you! You ruined my plan!

Iceglow
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I generally just introduce myself. If I am out doing naughty stuff like cheating on a girl I'll use a fake name because otherwise they can track you down on facebook and then tell the girl you're cheating on. Evil, I know... them and me. but if I'm just out an about or working I introduce myself as Steve. Though my name badge looked like it said Shag at one point.

Rantz
03-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I introduce myself as "chik-a-chik-a-Slim Shady".

Loony BoB
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
My name is common knowledge.

Bunny
03-13-2009, 03:15 PM

I know how to pronounce your name!

If someone asks for my name, I will give it to them. I don't really care.

Psychotic
03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
If someone asks for my name, I will give it to them. I don't really care.Give me your name.

Bunny
03-13-2009, 04:03 PM
If someone asks for my name, I will give it to them. I don't really care.Give me your name.

Lance Urwhil. Alex for short.

Caraliz
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Since I have to be professional sometimes I usually go by Elizabeth and then to friends or good acquaintances it's Liz.

blackmage_nuke
03-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I prefer not to give my name out to people i dont know but when strangers ask me in real life for it I get abit nervous and dont have the social manueverability to not tell them or think up a fake name quickly enough.

I also dont like my name used online.

Old Manus
03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
When I meet people I say something along the lines of 'Hi I'm James'.

It's kind of what you do when you're in social situations

Peegee
03-13-2009, 05:50 PM
My name is Peegee.

People who know my real name are probably in facebookland or have a good reason to know it (ie they asked me and I wasn't like 'my name's PG duh')

Jessweeee♪
03-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I forget about the name thing all the time. Sometimes I'll know someone for like, six months and we'll be like "wait, what's your name o_o"

Balzac
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I always feel goofy introducing myself as "Stu," so usually I introduce myself as Stuart. Then, if they're around friends/family, it gradually will transition to Stu. So how people refer to me is a pretty decent implication as to how closely they know me.

I'm the opposite, I don't like introducing myself as Stuart, I think it's too formal and I'm not a formal kind of guy.

Evastio
03-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Even if quite a lot of you think my name is neat, I'm still not wanting to reveal it publicly since I prefer people calling me by the name Evastio.

Tavrobel
03-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Curse you! You ruined my plan!

Your birthdate is much more useful, but having both is good. Like, destiny-determining good.

I offer my name if prompted, but I neither expect anyone to remember, nor do I bother to remember theirs unless I talk to them more often.

Zeldy
03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm really bad at remembering names, referring to some people as "hey girl" or "Here, you". (I don't know if it's 'Here' you, I tend to just go 'EE'AREEE, YOU').

I don't really introduce myself, not because I'm rude but people just don't. After a while I may smile and go 'Sorry, what is your name?' and then introduce myself after they've said their name.

Evastio
03-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Since the "lounge people not knowing my name" situation that started this thread has changed, I guess I kind of have to update you guys, now that a few of the lounge people just found out my name today, thanks to my carelessness leaving my stuff out in the open, with the side that has my name on it face up. (yeah, my paranoia isn't just an online thing)

...well, one of them actually said my name was cool. They were all quite suprised that that was my real name though.

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
"Hi, I'm Arthur. We don't know each other, but all my other friends are in lessons so I figure I may as well hang out with you lot."

I do that a lot. It probably wouldn't work if I wasn't insta-jaculate sexy. ;)

Shiny
03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
I have no problem giving out my name to people irl; especially if they'll be seeing me quite a bit. It annoys me though when people pronounce my name incorrectly, or call me something completely different like Kimberley after I've told them my name several times. This is why I prefer to tell people my name in person because they can get a better idea of how it should be pronounced.

Quindiana Jones
03-27-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to think of a name that could be mistaken for Kimberley but I've got nothing.

Tigmafuzz
04-06-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm trying to think of a name that could be mistaken for Kimberley but I've got nothing.
Chamberlain.
Cuchulain.
Tinderfee.
Serebii or Celebi.
...Mitchell.

Freya
04-06-2009, 04:08 AM
I don't mind at all. "Hi, I'm Kaycee." I don't even ask what their names are cause I don't care and I'm so horrible at remembering names it wont sink in my head anyway.

I do pay attention if it's a cute guy though ;) No that's a lie, I forget their names too.

Vermachtnis
04-06-2009, 04:17 AM
I have no problem walking up to strangers and going, "Yuh! I'm Brandon." And then just walking away. I've been confronted a couple times about it, but now we're bestestess buddies.

But I'm terrible with names. That's why most of my friends are named Chris. Seriously, I have five friends named Chris. It gets confusing.

Caraliz
04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
I forget names all the time. But I don't have a problem introducing myself to strangers. I was at a party a few nights ago and asked everyone for a dollar so I could roll. And I did roll. And it was epic.

Gwawr
04-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I do introduce myself, but given the nature of my name I have to do it far more than once.

I have some friends at school who refer to me by my middle name, Hedd. That's Heth. Not Head. That would be bad. :(

Parker
04-07-2009, 02:44 AM
I've been wearing an incorrect name badge at work for several months. The people who know me as my real name still remember my real name but a lot of the new people know me as "chris". It's mostly because I'm too lazy to get a new badge, but also because I don't particularly like my real name and it's fun to be someone else.

also i dont want to be written into a death note lol

Edit by Psychotic: Hey Parker, please don't double post. Use the edit/delete button instead if you've got more you want to say! Thanks!

Shiny
04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
That's just it! My name sounds nothing like Kimberley yet all of my professors call me that.