PDA

View Full Version : Most Unlikeable Cast

Forsaken Lover
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
So I was sitting here wondering why I like X-2 over 8 and comparing their pros and cons. I decided one major reason I found 8 so boring was the cast of heroes. A good set of prtoagnists to play as definitely increases a game’s enjoyment and I don’t think I really liked any of FFVIII’s heroes.

Let’s start with the main hero and heroine; Squall and Rinoa. Their love story is contrived. Squall treats her like dirt all through Disc 1 pretty much. In disc 2 he actually was thinking about other things and hesitating while the entire party screamed “go save Rinoa!!!!”
Then BAM. Disc 3 and Squall can’t live without her. Now I fully appreciate the idea of not valuing something until it’s taken away but I think relationships should have foreshadowing and hints. Yes I guess you could use the front of the game and simple logic to deduce they’ll end up together but an in-story explanation would have been preferable.

As for the characters themselves...Squall is too easy so I’ll just focus on Rinoa.
Again, sudden abrupt character development with zero foreshadowing. In Trabia, she suddenly decides she doesn’t like to fight or want to fight.
“Well gee, aren’t you the head of a terrorist group? And aren’t you gonna fight in possibly hundreds of more battles after this?”
Rinoa: no needs for concern. By disc 3 this entire plot point will be forgotten as much as Seifer and Squall’s rivalry.

We move on to Quistis. She is blond and uh...bossy according to Irvine and thought she loved Squall.

Right.

Now we move onto Zell. He’s hyperactive, tries to b ea know-it-all, easily annoyed and likes hotdogs.

Right.

Finally we have Irvine. The man who obviously has problems firing things other than his gun as he hits on every woman around to compensate. I guess this was supposed to be funny...but it wasn’t.

Oh and then there’s Selphie. She’s cute so I’ll let her slide.

So that’s why I found 8 so dull. The heroes have to support the story and they failed horribly in this game for me.

Which cast did you find the worst then?

scrumpleberry
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
All of the VII spinoffs, with the characters I was a bit like "ehh, do I really give a damn?"

Levian
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Hmm, hard question! All the games have both good and bad characters, but I guess XII takes the cake. Balthier wasn't bad and Penelo had some potential but we never got to see much of her. The rest were ugh. Second place probably goes to FFIV, I find them all to be pretty dull, except for Rydia.

Wolf Kanno
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
VII has my least favorite cast, I only liked Cid.

Red XIII was underdeveloped and underused. Cait Sith was pretty difficult to take serious and generally annoyed me, Barrett is a bad stereotype, Yuffie is @$@#$ bitch whore who deserves to be #$%$@# by Don Corneo, Tifa is a plot hole, Aerith is a cliche, and Cloud and Vincent are emo pricks constantly whining about how useless they are. I found the villains more charming and interesting than the cast. My first playthrough, I was hoping Sephiroth would kill everyone and I could play as the Turks instead. Their ending would be awesome cause it would involve a bar. ;)

X has my second least favorite.

NeoTifa
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
X, then..... I don't know. I like certain char's from each game. I don't think a cast was necessarily horrible, except X.

Tidus- whiney little bish
Yuna- clone of Aeris and Rinoa conglomerated
Wakka- fights with a ball?! Seriously? Wtf.
Lulu- .... enough said
Auron- Decent
Rikku - Yuffie and Selphie clone gone skanky
Kimouri- Lame

Marshall Banana
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Even though FFVIII is probably my favorite Final Fantasy, I don't like most of its cast, because most of the characters' dialogue is really lame. I do like Selphie and Quistis a lot, though, and Irvine's alright.

Celes and Terra are really sappy, but the rest of FFVI's cast is great, I think; compared to Beatrix, Celes is just a damsel in distress/opera floozy.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I liked VIII least, they were all too plain and worse yet, all human. It makes it look strange if there's no non human in the party, cause without it the party just looks like an angry mob who wants to carry around weapons and kill people.

Laddy
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Save for Asch and Balthier, XII had a dull and cliched cast in terms of playable characters.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Asche and Balthier aren't cliche? When did that happen?

Wolf Kanno
03-17-2009, 03:57 AM
Asche and Balthier aren't cliche? When did that happen?

I don't know how many games you play with a "alpha male" bitch queen as the main heroine but you will need to enlighten me on these titles I'm missing. ;)

Jessweeee♪
03-17-2009, 06:15 AM
It was FFIV for me...I don't know how I managed to finish the game, but I did :p

Lacarus
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Let’s start with the main hero and heroine; Squall and Rinoa. Their love story is contrived. Squall treats her like dirt all through Disc 1 pretty much. In disc 2 he actually was thinking about other things and hesitating while the entire party screamed “go save Rinoa!!!!”
Then BAM. Disc 3 and Squall can’t live without her. Now I fully appreciate the idea of not valuing something until it’s taken away but I think relationships should have foreshadowing and hints. Yes I guess you could use the front of the game and simple logic to deduce they’ll end up together but an in-story explanation would have been preferable.
He's a person who tries to hide away his feelings, even from himself. So when a person suddenly likes him with no apparent reason he gets confused. Happens to real life people all the time. On disc 3, yeah he did carry Rinoa all the way to Esthar to help her, but in space on the Ragnarok he's still reluctant to show her his feelings. Is easier to show them to a person who's unconcious.

As for the characters themselves...Squall is too easy so I’ll just focus on Rinoa.
Vague.

Again, sudden abrupt character development with zero foreshadowing. In Trabia, she suddenly decides she doesn’t like to fight or want to fight.
“Well gee, aren’t you the head of a terrorist group? And aren’t you gonna fight in possibly hundreds of more battles after this?”
Rinoa: no needs for concern. By disc 3 this entire plot point will be forgotten as much as Seifer and Squall’s rivalry.
Did you even pay attention to the script? On the train she just wanted to have peaceful conversation with Deling, not kidnap him or kill him, but try to convince him that hi doing people wrong. She's not a pacifist thought. When someone fights her, she fights back.

We move on to Quistis. She is blond and uh...bossy according to Irvine and thought she loved Squall.
I didn't like Quistis either. But there have been discussions on whether she's a blonde ar a redhead.

Right.

Now we move onto Zell. He’s hyperactive, tries to b ea know-it-all, easily annoyed and likes hotdogs.
He's also caring, helpful and resourceful.

Right.

Finally we have Irvine. The man who obviously has problems firing things other than his gun as he hits on every woman around to compensate. I guess this was supposed to be funny...but it wasn’t.
He also has problems firing guns. But then again, you didn't pay much attention to what happened in the game, apparently.

Oh and then there’s Selphie. She’s cute so I’ll let her slide.
Vague

Which cast did you find the worst then?
I like most of the cast, it's more some significant persons I don't like.

Jiro
03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I liked enough members of each cast, I can't choose one I disliked. I didn't like the cast of V as much, but I didn't play it for very long either.

Forsaken Lover
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
He's a person who tries to hide away his feelings, even from himself. So when a person suddenly likes him with no apparent reason he gets confused. Happens to real life people all the time. On disc 3, yeah he did carry Rinoa all the way to Esthar to help her, but in space on the Ragnarok he's still reluctant to show her his feelings. Is easier to show them to a person who's unconcious.

Touching. And bland. Forced lovestory is forced.

Did you even pay attention to the script? On the train she just wanted to have peaceful conversation with Deling, not kidnap him or kill him, but try to convince him that hi doing people wrong. She's not a pacifist thought. When someone fights her, she fights back.

Um, I'm not an expert on the technical legal details but wouldn't simply putting the president on a different train against his will and surrounding him with mercenaries count as kidnaping?

He's also caring, helpful and resourceful.

Yeah..I'd expect most heroes to be caring so I didn't put it in there. it's like saying he's white...it's just a general fact of the characters that doesn't distinguish them really.

He also has problems firing guns. But then again, you didn't pay much attention to what happened in the game, apparently.

Uh...I'm fully aware he has problems firing guns. Hence my jab at his penis.
And I paid very good attention to the game. There's just hardly anything to find when it comes to FFVIII's cast of cardboard cutouts.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Not "alpha male" bitch queen, but rather overconfident bitch who wants to rule without any advice from anyone, but she eventually has to accept the inevitable- She can't rule alone.

And Balthier, that's obvious, a man who wants to be leader but is shot down because the party like a more upbeat character more. Suave and cool, he tries to act like it doesn't bother him.

arcanedude34
03-18-2009, 01:15 AM
I hated the VIII cast. I really did. No, I'm not going into detail, let's just say I hated it and leave it at that.

The IV and X crews came close, but they had some redeeming characters, so...

Slothy
03-18-2009, 04:00 AM
FFVIII's cast is the worst hands down. I have never seen such poor character development combined with generally unlikeable characters in any game in the series. Even the generic classes of the first game were more likeable, but then again, I may have started to think of them less as classes, and more as their 8-bit theater representations over the years, so maybe my view of them is slightly skewed now.

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Not "alpha male" bitch queen, but rather overconfident bitch who wants to rule without any advice from anyone, but she eventually has to accept the inevitable- She can't rule alone.

And Balthier, that's obvious, a man who wants to be leader but is shot down because the party like a more upbeat character more. Suave and cool, he tries to act like it doesn't bother him.

Really? I kinda got the impression that he and Ashe were the leaders the whole time.

Rocket Edge
03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
XII definitely. Liked the game, but I didn't care for the characters compared to the other games. Also, Balthier was a fucking asshole.

Marshall Banana
03-18-2009, 10:16 PM
By the way, no one who likes Star Wars can say that he or she hates the characters of FFXII without sounding like a hypocrite to me.

Ashe - Leia
Vaan - Luke
Balthier - Han Solo
Fran - Chewbacca

FFIX Choco Boy
03-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Fran - Chewbacca

Racism!

Zeromus_X
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I can't say there's been a cast that I've really disliked, but I guess my least favorite would have to be FFI, II, or III's, simply because they're so empty. But I guess it's not their fault.

Depression Moon
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
i'M SURPRISED THAT i'M SEEING x AND iv ON HERE, EPSECIALLY iV BECAUSE IT'S OLD SCHOOL oops damn, cap locks.

For me I would have to go with VII. There are characters that I like like Tifa, Barret, and Red. I''m not sure if anyone really likes Cait Sith. The others didn't have enough depth to them to me.

Out of the ones I've played I would either have to go with X-2 or VIII next. I like both games and I can argue about Rinoa's changing emotion on violence. The scale of the things drastically change from when she was trying to liberate her home. VIII could have gone deeper in the background of the characters because the only ones we get a lot about are Squall, Laguna, and Rinoa maybe. I had no qualms with their personality. I can say the same about XII.

X-2 well I don't want to be a hypocrite on a person's being, so I'll put it like this. To me as a man, I found X-2's new Yuna and Rikku a little embarassing. It felt too feminine, which made me feel a little awkward. that's all I have to say about it.

I love IX, IV, and X though.

Marshall Banana
03-19-2009, 02:12 AM
I''m not sure if anyone really likes Cait Sith.
I love him! =D

NeoTifa
03-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I like Reeve, not so much Cait Sith....

PeneloRatsbane
03-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Fran - Chewbacca

*POUT* yeah if chewbacca was a pretty woman, and who managed to score with Han Solo.

hhr1dluv
03-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I's cast was awful. Talk about no character development! Bah!

~ Kain ~
03-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Well, the game itself is great but i must say that "Red" Amarant is probably the worst character ever. Yeah, i know that he helps Zidane's character really be recognized as one who stands for justice and yada yada, but besides that i don't really see anything there. Thats unfortunate for the game because the rest of the cast is fantastic.(Mostly Dagger, Steiner, Beatrix and Freya) Yeah also i'm glad that rat-type race never made it past this game. Freya: Dragoon - Awesome,Chick - Sweet, Rat? - yikes

VIII is the worst haha