PDA

View Full Version : speed for zombies

Darkswordofchaos
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
I was watching dawn of the dead last night and it got me thinking about zombie speed. They used to be slow but now they haul ass.
whats your opinon on fast/slow zombies

Goldenboko
03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Combination is important. Slow zombies are badass, but the fast jumpers are also a new-era badass. Ergo.

Badassery.

Lawr
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Have you ever played Left 4 Dead? If a Boomer pukes on you or explodes on you the zombies will book it like hell towards your direction. I don't know many people that can run that fast even without rotting limbs! If that ever happened in real life I'd pee myself!

NeoTifa
03-16-2009, 08:01 PM
If I were to date any zombie, it'd be a smoker. ;) Guess why.... >_> tee hee hee

Totally kidding btw.

Psychotic
03-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Slow, with perhaps a few mutant super zombies capable of top speed and various other delights to be their leaders.

Lawr
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
If I were to date any zombie, it'd be a smoker. ;) Guess why.... >_> tee hee hee

Totally kidding btw.

Oh, you are naughty!

By the way, you were totally not kidding. :mad2:

NeoTifa
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Ahahahahahahaha :shifty:

rubah
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Zombies stopped being scary when people realized you could outrun them, so they are fast now to up the fear factor.

Madame Adequate
03-16-2009, 08:54 PM
The idea that zombies need to be fast or have superpowers completely misses the point of the entire zombie genre.

Sure, zombies are vicious cannibals who can take a ridiculous amount of firepower. But they're complete idiots and don't move very fast. What they have is a combination of endurance, toughness, and numbers. Zombies aren't a problem on their own; if one appeared in your house right now chances are you'd be able to deal with it. And they're not dangerous when you're safely above ground, like if you're halfway up a skyscraper and you've taken out the stairs to the first two or three floors.

Then what do you do?

You sit around with a bunch of other tired, hungry, scared people who have watched their families turn into undead horrors that can't be reasoned with, that feel none of the former love or affection or mercy they had in life, and which will never ever stop in their attempts to eat your flesh.

You've probably got no more power, limited (If any) running water, limited space, and limited patience. Your ammo is unlikely to be sufficient to blast your way out and even if it is, you've not got very many options in where to go. So you sit, and you wait, and you've not got anything to do except read last month's Strategies for Introducing New Products to the Tanzanian Market for the two hundredth time.

The zombies have your holdout surrounded and constantly beat on the walls and doors. Different people get different ideas on what to do. Wait for help? Make a break for it? How do you enforce law and order in that sort of society? How long, in short, before people at best give in to their fearful, petty natures, or at worst, until they go completely bugsmurf?

Zombie movies and games aren't about the dead rising from their graves. They're not about the creatures themselves, except the obligatory "I know you're in there, fight!" moment. They're a mindless force of death, which should really be regarded in the same way as a natural disaster. The point of the genre is, how do people survive under pressure? The point of the genre is, when people are safe they'll go crazy from boredom and fear, and destroy their own safety by acting like idiots. This is how it works even in movies with fast monsters, like the Dawn of the Dead remake and 28 Days Later. It makes no functional difference to the plot.

So as far as I'm concerned, if they run, they're not zombies. :cool:

Edit: To add to all that, when there is a confrontation directly between living and dead, slow works much better for dramatic purposes. The slow, but inexorable advance of the undead, no matter how many bullets you pump into the horde, is way more effective than the same when they're running fast. That's just "Oh shi-" panic, whereas the former builds up the panic in a more subtle, tense manner.

Zeldy
03-16-2009, 11:09 PM
STOP WITH THE ZOMBIE TALK. :whimper:

Balzac
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't care. As long as they are chowing dwn on some corpse it's all good.

Aerith's Knight
03-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Slow zombies were scary when you were sealed inside a tomb and you couldn't escape, just run, but you'd get tired eventually.

Fast zombies give you a wider range of settings, as they are scary wherever you may want to put it.

Crimson
03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Faster zombies are creepier to me these days, but back in the day the slow ones scared the **** outta me.

Then I played Dead Rising, now there just like moving plush toys, lawl.

trancekuja
03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't care about their speed stats , I just want them to look scary. What I want to say is , I'm finding zombies from Resident Evil 1,2,3 to be much scarier than some tentacle bursting peasants from RE 4(it's a great game nevertheless). I think RE 5 design isn't scary at all...Just be scary looking! Slow or fast , I don't care.

NeoTifa
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Grrrrrooooowwwwwllllll I'm a fast hunter!!!!!!! *pounces* <3

http://www.lowpings.net/gamingnews/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/witch.jpg

*pisses and craps herself*

Caraliz
03-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Zombies are ace. I prefer the slow ones. They're more undead.

Lawr
03-16-2009, 11:58 PM

I hate the witch! How can a zombie knock you down in one hit!?

scrumpleberry
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
hahhaah the witch is nuts.

NeoTifa
03-17-2009, 12:34 AM
I have a personal vendetta for the witch. I couldn't sleep for weeks after first playign that game. Now I go around one-shotting her for revenge. I've become a known witchhunter online >_>

FFIX Choco Boy
03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Oh god, not the witch... Me and my friends used to turn all the sounds in the room down and the TV up and chastise each other for making any sounds at all so we could hear her, and it still didn't always work. That's the only thing in that game that kills us.

Pike
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Zombies are slow when I kite them around with my frost trap

No dinner for you, Gluth!

Darkswordofchaos
03-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I Like the fast zombies better. in the old days before zombies jucied up it was like oh god their coming wait lets just walk away. Now its like oh shi- run like hell.

*also on a side not since dawn of the dead started this i was just wondering, What The F**K is wrong with andy the dude who owned the gun shop. On the DVD you can watch his movie he says hes got around 10,000 rounds in his shop. If i was him i would have just sat on the roof all day, all week shooting zombies in the head. I would have thined them out so good i could have just took a pistol and walked across to the mall. they obviosly didnt have any sense but i guess that you cant have a good Horror-ish movie if the people are smart.*

Freya
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I like the fast zombie idea.

The whole being of zombies is that they are undead that have risen and reverted back to more animalistic natures.

We are predators, we don't move slow, our food would get away. To me it makes more sense that we'd move fast. We're trying to get our food. Our food moves fast so so do we!

Slow zombies I never got :/ They just let their food get away :/

Aerith's Knight
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Slow zombies I never got :/ They just let their food get away :/

Fast zombie + small set = 2 minute movie.

Depression Moon
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I think for humans, zombies need to be slow. Zombie animals however like dogs and birds need to be fast. There's a nice balance there. That's how it was in RE and that's how it should be.

NeoTifa
03-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Yea, like those freaking gorilla things that would attack you outta nowhere and f your s up (tryna keep it g-rated ;))?

Evastio
03-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Fast zombies sound like of fun.

They should stick a zombie in a racing game.

Jiro
03-18-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't see how rotting flesh can move faster than whole people. That being said, I don't mind the occasional fast zombie, but like Milfy said, the suspense is half the effect.

escobert
03-18-2009, 06:45 AM
Zombies should be slow. That's just how it is.

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Slow zombies are freakier, but they're too easy to outrun, so they're both good, I guess.

Depression Moon
03-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Yea, like those freaking gorilla things that would attack you outta nowhere and f your s up (tryna keep it g-rated ;))?
gorilla zombies?, in what game?

Balzac
03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
She's probably talking about the monkeys in RE0.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Ah, here it is: Simon Pegg explains why zack should be slow. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set)

Balzac
03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
He brings up some very good points that I actually hadn't thought about until reading that.

Darkswordofchaos
03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
That was some cool zombie history. But it seems to me that a fast zombie makes more sense especialy in an outside enviroment. If the zombies were slow it wouldent take long to eleminate them and containe the problem. but the quick zombies can catch you off gaurd easier.

Heath
03-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Ah, here it is: Simon Pegg explains why zack should be slow. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set)

I remember reading that in the Guardian G2 section when it was first published and agreed with it entirely. I think slow zombies for pretty much the reasons you stated in your lengthy post above.

NeoTifa
03-19-2009, 12:33 AM
No, RE1

Markus. D
03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I love Georgio Romero Zombies.

Balzac
03-19-2009, 01:17 AM
No, RE1

There are no gorilla's in RE1, they're Hunters and are lizard like.

Darkswordofchaos
03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
There are no gorilla's in RE1, they're Hunters and are lizard like.

Their hunted when i play

NeoTifa
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
My tv was old >_> They looked like gorillas when I played.

Darkswordofchaos
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
My tv was old >_> They looked like gorillas when I played.

i just prefer to call every thing not humanoid in RE creatures cause u can never be quite sure what half of them are

Peegee
03-19-2009, 09:19 PM
We're clearly not talking about the zombie genre and its metaphor for the human spirit, illegal immigration gone awry, or whatever it is the movies are supposed to mean.

Running zombies are stupid -- just understand it to be a riot and you can control it.

Slow zombies are just as undangerous if you are prepared. Incidents like the Yonkers disaster don't happen with proper intel. Granted the infantry square idea shouldn't be as effective as it was made out to be, but slow zombies are easy pickings -- with enough ammo and a clear mind you can walk amongst zombies and not get killed. With a weapon that can decapitate you are untouchable.

Left 4 Dead is just a fantasy video game. As if there really were such things as uninfectable survivors -- what would be the point?

NeoTifa
03-20-2009, 06:17 AM
L4D is sweet! *punches pg in the face*

DarkBahamut
03-20-2009, 06:41 AM

.......I think I have to changed my pants...

Araciel
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Zombies are cool.

Darkswordofchaos
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
That was a great post^:p