PDA

View Full Version : Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
So if everyone's allowed to call each other by name in Advent Children, why must they avoid saying "Tidus" in FFX-2? WHY?

It gets on my nerves ._.

Also, I want a FFX-3.

Goldenboko
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Because with FFX-2 it was only one name, but it would've been really weird if EVERYONE avoiding calling each other by their name in AC.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Cause you get the option to change his name in X I would guess, even though X-2 is a totally different game.

Old Manus
03-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Because technically, in FFX, Tidus never mentions his name once, and nobody asks him for his name.

Therefore, NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS HIS NAME :O

Jessweeee♪
03-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Because technically, in FFX, Tidus never mentions his name once, and nobody asks him for his name.

OMG D:

Lacarus
03-18-2009, 10:51 PM
They do know his name, 'cause the ball Wakka uses is one the ball Tidus signed one minute into the game. Oh wait, that's impossible.

No really, I think they didn't say his name in X-2 'cause they didn't want to make Yuna sad which would ruin the jollyness of the game.

champagne supernova
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, Tidus is a banned name around Yuna. They don't want her to start crying again. She only stopped going to counselling every 2 hours just before the game began.

Jessweeee♪
03-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Well I guess that makes a little bit of sense o.o

Darkswordofchaos
03-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I Like old manus' answer

Typhoon
04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
It would be strange for them to all of a sudden start saying "Tidus" after a whole game of not saying it and also when you're playing through FFX-2 mostly it's Shuyin like in the movie with the big metal monster (Forgot it's name, oh yeah Vegnagun) and yeah can't reeeeealy remember as it's been near 2 and a half years since I last even looked at the hidious game.

Vermachtnis
04-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Because they couldn't decide how to pronounce it. The kids got it wrong on Destiny Island.

Stecloud
04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Because they couldn't decide how to pronounce it. The kids got it wrong on Destiny Island.

I agree.

Tie, as in clothing, not tea, as in drink.

arcanedude34
04-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Auron does. :shifty:

Not to mention that people say it during non-voice-acted scenes, so I assume it's a pronunciation problem.

Stecloud
04-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Auron does. :shifty:

Not to mention that people say it during non-voice-acted scenes, so I assume it's a pronunciation problem.

Auron never does. It's not said because you can rename him so in order for his name to be spoken Square would have to have all the voice actors record various iterations of every name and combination of letters under the sun - it'd be too much work. Why they let you name him though, I don't know, because some scenes would flow a lot more easily if you couldn't and they simply kept him as 'Tidus'.

Jessweeee♪
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm so glad they fixed that by FFXII. We'd have people going like, "Is it 'vahn' or 'van'?" "I think it's 'van'" "That's dumb, why would they name someone 'van'?"

MJN SEIFER
04-17-2009, 10:03 PM

I agree.

Tie, as in clothing, not tea, as in drink.

Belive it or not "Tee-dus is a lot closer to the correct pronanciation than "Tie-dus". The correct pronounciation is actually "Tee-dah", I realize that doesn't make sense, but Japanese is not English, so pronounciations are different. In Kingdom of Hearts he is called "Tee-dus" because Square knew that we wouldn't get "Tee-Dah", it is the same as making "Cefca" "Kefka" in FFVI - in English phonetics "Cefca" would have a different pronouncation to "Kefka"...

Vermachtnis
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
But it's spelled Tidus. If they wanted it pronounced a certain way, they should spell it that way. Like you said, English and Japanese are different. Tidus does not equal Teda. Same thing with another certain spelling of a character. I don't really care if it is closer to the original spelling over there, we are over here.

Jessweeee♪
04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Tidus (http://jamesarnoldtaylor.com/character_pages/tidus.html)

MJN SEIFER
04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
But it's spelled Tidus. If they wanted it pronounced a certain way, they should spell it that way. Like you said, English and Japanese are different. Tidus does not equal Teda. Same thing with another certain spelling of a character. I don't really care if it is closer to the original spelling over there, we are over here.

To be perfectly honest I often readed as "Tie-dus" despite it being wrong. In actual fact there are few FF names I pronounce wrong automatically through habit; Tidus ("Tee-dus"), Chocobo ("Chock-a-bo") Midgar ("Mid-Jar" for some strange reason even though that can't possibly be right) and Seifer ("See-Fer") to name a few. All of these are wrong, but I still read them that way, strange really.

Darkswordofchaos
04-18-2009, 05:13 PM

To be perfectly honest I often readed as "Tie-dus" despite it being wrong. In actual fact there are few FF names I pronounce wrong automatically through habit; Chocobo ("Chock-a-bo") All of these are wrong, but I still read them that way, strange really.

Thats they way i read it for chocobos for a long time. Until they started voice acting it i never knew any diffrent

Lacarus
04-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Tidus (http://jamesarnoldtaylor.com/character_pages/tidus.html)
Man, that guy's a whimp.

Heath
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I must say, that when I was replaying Final Fantasy X recently, it did bug me a bit that some of the dialogue felt a bit clunky because Tidus' name is never spoken. It would've been quite nice, I suppose if there'd been the option for the dialogue to include the name 'Tidus' if you had kept his name as the default. Or just not let you rename him?

Rantz
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
They should implement some advanced speech synthesis to allow you to rename all your characters while still letting their names be spoken in dialogue. :greenie:

Edit: What links :shifty:

Lacarus
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Those links doesn't work.

Rantz
04-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Ack! Well, they were the results of putting some names into this (http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php). I'm not telling what name that last one was, though.