PDA

View Full Version : Guestbook

Levian
03-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm trying to make a guestbook :( and I get these error messages:

Strict Standards: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CET/1.0/no DST' instead in /uia/ravn/u2/cshunn05/project_html/guestbook2/addguestbook.php on line 12

Notice: Undefined variable: name in /uia/ravn/u2/cshunn05/project_html/guestbook2/addguestbook.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined variable: email in /uia/ravn/u2/cshunn05/project_html/guestbook2/addguestbook.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined variable: comment in /uia/ravn/u2/cshunn05/project_html/guestbook2/addguestbook.php on line 15

and this is the relevant part of the code I guess, first line is line 12 and last is 15:

$datetime=date("y-m-d h:i:s"); //date time

$sql="INSERT INTO $tbl_name(name, email, comment, datetime)VALUES('$name', '$email', '$comment', '$datetime')";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

If you need more information to solve this just tell me and I'll provide it. I just don't know what information is relevant and not relevant.

I'm using this page to help me and all code is from there:
Creating a simple PHP guestbook (http://www.phpeasystep.com/workshopview.php?id=15)

and here's the link to my guestbook:
http://prosjekt.hia.no/users/cshunn05/guestbook2/guestbook.php

Flying Mullet
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
How are you acquiring $name, $email and $comment? i.e. what code is your php file using to grab them from the form?

Rantz
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM
It basically seems like it wants you to supply a timezone for the date function. The error reporting is most likely set a few notches stricter than you need it, but I'd try adding this line in the beginning of your code:

date_default_timezone_set('UTC');

Or if you want to use another default timezone: PHP: List of Supported Timezones - Manual (http://se.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php)

Levian
03-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't know exactly how, but it's fixed now ^^

Flying Mullet
03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Perhaps your provider had something messed up on their end that they fixed?

Levian
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Nah, I added this to the code and it seemed to do the trick:

$name = $_POST['name'];
$email = $_POST['email'];
$comment = $_POST['comment'];

Flying Mullet
03-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Well then you know how it's fixed. :p

If you didn't have code to retrieve the name, email and comment from the form before then it didn't know how to access them. $_POST['x'] will retrieve values when the form's method is "post" and if the form's method is "get" you can use $_GET['x'].

Samuraid
03-23-2009, 06:02 AM
As a side note:

$sql="INSERT INTO $tbl_name(name, email, comment, datetime)VALUES('$name', '$email', '$comment', '$datetime')";
The values you are inserting into this query are not properly escaped, so someone could inject SQL and mess up your queries. Any strings that will be used in a SQL query should be sent through mysql_real_escape_string (http://php.net/mysql_real_escape_string) first.

Example:

$sql="INSERT INTO $tbl_name(name, email, comment, datetime)VALUES('" . mysql_real_escape_string($name) . "', '" . mysql_real_escape_string($email) . "', '" . mysql_real_escape_string($comment) . "', '" . $datetime . "')";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

Levian
03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Oh, yeah I didn't know how to secure things, I was kinda hoping it wouldn't happen. :D But I think I understood that, so thanks!

Also, if I want a navigation and a banner to appear on every page, that's got something to do with css right? Not really sure where to start on this one.

Flying Mullet
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
You use includes to handle common navigation, banners, etc... You write your source php file for the navigation, then you include it on every page, like this:

Left-hand navigation source:

<div>
<a href="pagea.php">Page A</a><br/>
<a href="pageb.php">Page B</a><br/>
<a href="pagec.php">Page C</a><br/>
<a href="paged.php">Page D</a><br/>
</div>

And then in some page on your website:

<html>
<body>
Maybe some page code stuff here
<?php include "left-hand navigation file name (navigation.php or whatever)"; ?>
Maybe other page stuff follows
</body>
</html>

The idea is that you create one file and then you can insert the contents of that file wherever you specify to.

Levian
03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh cool, but does the included navigation have to be php, or can it be an html file?

Flying Mullet
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
It can be an html file, I believe. I've always used php files so I'm not 100% sure, though.

Samuraid
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
It can be HTML as well as PHP.

b1o
04-18-2009, 02:42 AM
i helped him. case closed :D