PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Cloud is Emo

solidsnake420
03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
for me thats a big fat no im sick of people calling him and the v man emo there not emo there more of the strong silant type and there deeper then some of these paper thin allways happy heros cloud has had real pain he has had real strugal and he over came them and for that i say he is not an emo just becase he dosent run around saying dumb things like WE CAN DO IT GUY IF WE BELIVE WE CAN AND IF WE WORK TOGETHER bla bla and no cloud is not captan sunny shoting rainbows out his a## he is a little dark and i like that about him but he is no crybaby makeup waring sisy who follows My Chemiacal Romance Around like there the gratful dead or something if anything cloud seems like the kind of hard core metal have a beer with you kind of guy who is dark and bleake but not a emo crybaby who cuts him self and listens to welkome to the black paraid while he dose it like some emo chicks i know there a diff between dark and brutal and emo and sisy and i think deep down clouds dark and brutal :cool:

Boney King
03-21-2009, 10:21 PM
So is this for the troll competition, or...?

demondude
03-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Looks like somebody was born six months premature.

Jessweeee♪
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
No, I think in AC he was just kinda bummed that he was dying of an incurable disease.

Wolf Kanno
03-21-2009, 11:27 PM
God yes I believe he is. His dark secret is that he's a sensitive soul that couldn't make the cut into SOLDIER and spends the entirety of the Nibelheim incident and Crisis Core in general whining about how pathetic he is and not as cool as Zack and Sephiroth.

Now granted I don't believe he's as bad as some people say he is, but I don't think he's "Dark and Brutal" at all, far from it to be precisely. AC is another where I never felt he was brooding over his disease, he just used it as an excuse to separate himself from the others and brood on and on about how he couldn't save Aerith and wanted forgiveness for events that are completely out of his control to begin with. Thus he shouldn't be whining about them to begin with. Cloud doesn't need forgiveness, he just needs a good "boot to the head".

Marshall Banana
03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
I thought that he was pretty optimistic and ambitious when he wasn't confused or losing his mind in FFVII.

solidsnake420
03-22-2009, 01:53 AM
man i think people miss under stand cloud as a person when he goes into battel he has to be dark and brutal no on nice is going to finish off the s man and when people call him emo that burns me up some one emo is not going to have the power to stop some like sephiroth there just going to go cut themselfs and cry about how thay cant do it and as far as cloud whining about how he couldent save arith he in my opinion was not wining he was just reflecting on his lifes past mishaps if u cant do that u are dommed to do the same things as befor hence the reason he could not be around tiffa he did not want to repeat his past mishaps with her but thats just me :cool:

MJN SEIFER
03-22-2009, 02:50 AM
People are only emo if they concider themselves emo...

Yar
03-22-2009, 02:58 AM
No, I think in AC he was just kinda bummed that he was dying of an incurable disease.
WHAT!?!?

Thanks for the spoiler, Jusswehhhh♪. :nonono:

Cloud isn't emo, he's vamp.

LunarWeaver
03-22-2009, 03:22 AM
I don't think so. Emos are stereotyped to be super dark and depressed over nothing. Cloud has quite a few genuine problems to justify his attitude. If I were him, I'd be a lot more of a wreck.

Elly
03-22-2009, 05:19 AM
sounds like someone has the narrow sterotypical view of Emo... actauly Cloud is one of the coolest Emo Heros concieved... unlike mr. snake who's slandering everyone into the genre...

LunarWeaver
03-22-2009, 05:25 AM
I said it was a stereotype to recognize it's not always accurate. But people slinging "emo" at Cloud with the intent of insulting the way he acts seems like throwing the stereotype at him to me.

Wolf Kanno
03-22-2009, 06:24 AM
I feel its possible to be a badass and a emotionally sensitive soul as well. Zack is definetly a nice guy and he did much ass kicking. Zidane, Bartz, and Tidus are also very nice people who would kick your ass two ways into next Tuesday if you crossed them.

My main problem with Cloud is that once he regains himself and you see him for who he really is; he's a moody, pessimistic man who lacks real self confidence. He only acts when he's finally pushed into a corner and he is usually the first person to say we will probably die and fail before the others. Tifa, Barret, and Cid spend most of the second disc giving him pep talks to keep him cheered up. Despite this, he does have excellent resolve and he is true to his feelings, I just wish he was likable.

He spends all of AC, running away and brooding over how pathetic he is. This always irritated me cause he just helped save the world two years prior and instead of enjoying what little time he has, he would rather spend his days wallowing in self pity and seeking forgiveness from a dead girl. His attitude just irritates me. I feel he's a very human character but I don't necessarily feel this means he could be thought of as a role model.

Cloud is the video game equivalent of Rock Star, he is loved by millions, does many extraordinary things and has people who genuinely love him. Instead of feeling he's the luckiest guy on earth; he spends his days locked up in a hotel room doing countless drugs and wallowing in how worthless he is. The only difference is that we will probably never experience Cloud's unexpected death from drug overdose or a shotgun to the face.

I always think of Cloud when I hear this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBzbdo2LjU).

Momiji
03-22-2009, 07:04 AM
*to self* save it for the trolling competition, Momi...

Marshall Banana
03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I feel like I played a game that's completely different from the game that you guys played.

Yar
03-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I feel like I played a game that's completely different from the game that you guys played.Lucky. ;)

RedPouch
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I never really got that impression of Cloud at all. Granted, he was somewhat broody [and did need such pep talks from time to time], but there are actually a lot of people just like that. Guilt/inner torment isn't always easy to conquer for us as humans. Also, I think people seriously don't understand how a lot of people would feel when you're thrust with problems like the kind he had. I'd say that for what he was dealt with and had to endure, he did well, and in the end he still conquered his inner demons. If he displayed no such emotional stress or sadness at all, he could easily come off as someone that just doesn't care or shows no emotive traits, which can actually be pretty boring.

I feel that any video game or anime character that expresses sadness or emotional stress over events like this gets automatically branded as "emo", but not everyone has a strong enough spirit to stand like a mountain in the face of such things and never falter for a second [though there are people like this, don't misunderstand me]. Personally, I would be annoyed with a protagonist that never showed any sort of emotion like that.

Jiro
03-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I think I'd be pretty darn depressed if I found out that like 5 years of my life was spent living as someone else. It's like calling a baby emo because it cries all the time; it's just been exposed to a whole new world and has no freaking idea what's going on, what the smurf do you expect?

Cloud is not emo, but Cloud has a pessimistic streak after he realises the truth. Before then, he was quite focused and determined (arguably because of the pull of Sephiroth).

And he feels responsible for Aeris' death. That would make even the toughest person feel pretty :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty. I don't blame him for wanting to be alone, and AC basically helped him realise he needs to finish mourning, and stop blaming himself.

That is all.

Crimson
03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Yup, he is.

Dont deny it, fools!

solidsnake420
03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
maybe i do have a bad atitude toward emo people but thats becase any person i have ever met who calls them self emo is the bigest pain in the a## ive ever meet and then when people call cloud emo its ment as an insolt to the game and any one who likes the game in geniral any im by no stretch of the imagination an emo cant stand some of the emos ive meet and maybe they wernt real emos but thay seemed to embrace that lable and tryed every thing in there power to fit into that staryotype so i have no love lost with emo people and in my opinion cloud was not an emo person nor was he a nice guy i always liked how he espacaly in the begining of the game seemed quiet and focused he didnt join up with avalanch to save the world at first it was just another job to him with a paycheck in the end but over time people change and so did cloud and it seems to me people lable cloud as an emo becase of his character growth seems to go by the end of the game to a person who is regretful of his past but to me it seemed less of regret but more of cloud in the end of ff7 and in AC was not a regretful person but more of some one lost loking for a way to atone for his past mishaps :cool:

The Turk
03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
In the game he's not. In the film he is.

He starts off as a very cool character in the game and then when he finds out the truth about Nibel he becomes a bit down in the dumps, but then he drags himself back up in the games final chapters and resolves to beat Sephiroth and save the world.

It's the film that's the problem as it just forsakes all the character growth Cloud as been through and casts him as an unlikeable 'woe me' git.

Momiji
03-24-2009, 05:25 PM

He starts off as a very cool character in the game and then when he finds out the truth about Nibel he becomes a bit down in the dumps, but then he drags himself back up in the games final chapters and resolves to beat Sephiroth and save the world.

It's the film that's the problem as it just forsakes all the character growth Cloud as been through and casts him as an unlikeable 'woe me' git.

I agree with this, as long as you mean 'cool' as in he's calm and collected, and not the colloquial meaning of 'cool', which I do not find him to be at all. ;D

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM

This is actually what I've been trying to say but The Turk says it better than I can, maybe cause I'm still in Troll mode for the competition...

To be honest, the Compilation doesn't do anything for Cloud's character. AC pretty much retconned most of his character growth from the game for no bloody reason and CC didn't do much to make him endearing either. I was actually pondering to myself, as I was replaying the game recently, if the reason why Cloud seemed more angsty and whiny was a result of the Compilation and Kingdom Hearts warping my perception of Cloud? I don't remember him annoying me as much in past playthroughs.

LunarWeaver
03-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Cloud in Advent Children is def pretty black leather about everything, but the world that was left is pretty :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty. I'm sure that took its toll and made him feel like he didn't do a very good job of saving everyone. And he lost his lego arms. That would depress the smurf out of me.

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't know, outside of Midgard being wiped off the face of the planet; I feel VII's world is probably in better shape than the other FF worlds when the games were finished.

The Turk
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
To be honest if I was in AC I'd probably be depressed too having to live in a world which had a colour palette of just white, pale black and washed-out grey.

Wolf Kanno
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
To be honest if I was in AC I'd probably be depressed too having to live in a world which had a colour palette of just white, pale black and washed-out grey.

Especially considering how colorful the actual game was. They really should have had a scene where Cloud was venting his frustration at the Gold Saucer. :D

LunarWeaver
03-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Advent Children's world is not totally terrible or anything, but he's watching kids die of a disease, everyone seems kinda poor and depressed, gravity apparently doesn't exist anymore, Rufus survived by ducking, and Tifa had a huge breast reduction. I'm sure in 2 years it's just... well, I think it falls with his video game personality to shoulder a bunch of responsibility and feel he's super weak and all, despite it not really being his fault.

The Turk
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Haha.

Well gravity has never existed in VII's world. I lost count of the amount of people of should have fallen to their death but didn't. Mt. Nibel must be made of sponge or something.

It could be that Cloud is depressed because all the kids are dying, though if it were me and Denzel died I'd pop a champagne cork, or that he's depressed due to Tifa's reduced boob size (fair enough) but he seems more sad about Zack and Aeris.

But doesn't he have some real emo conversation with Vincent about not being a hero or some BS like that? You just saved the fricking world!!

Wolf Kanno
03-25-2009, 12:14 AM
LOL Noctiluca!

Yes, he actually spends most of the film whining about Aerith and Zack. I don't think he ever really talked about dying or even mentioned the kids at all. He just used the disease as an excuse to get away from Tifa and the children. Most of his actions in the film seem to be him dwelling on the idea that the two happiest people from FFVII hate him.

Its really apparent when he talks to Vincent and they have their conversation about forgiveness. I thought it was rather amusing that Cloud finally stopped moping around after getting advice from the other most emo character in the game and being talked down to by a child.

Maybe Cloud is depressed cause he has to star in a silly sequel?

The Turk
03-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Haha, or maybe after seeing Vincent Cena thought "damn, my life could be worse" and cheered up.

Or maybe "Gee, if I don't stop this moping I will end up like him..."

Wolf Kanno
03-25-2009, 12:26 AM
I bet it was:

"Oh my god... Have I sunken so low that I'm getting a 'pep talk' from Captain Emo?! Holy smurf! I need to get off my ass..."

LunarWeaver
03-25-2009, 12:35 AM
I think we can assume that's part of it. I'm sure he cares for Denzel a lot and is rather upset he's dying and looks like Roxas.

But Aerith and Zack, yeah, he's hung up. I'm sure he wants to love Tifa but feels guilty too. Especially since Aerith seems to be watching from afar quite a bit, the creepy ho.

I believe at the end of the film this is remedied. He was smilie again. Everyone is cured. His friends showed up when he needed them. He got some closure on the Aerith issue too, I'm think. He saw her and Zack walking away. I'm he sure finally put it together that they were banging each other all the time in the afterlife so he might as well do the same to Tifa.

I'm just saying I'm not sure I would call him emo. I think wrapped up in some problems, but that can happen to anybody. I personally wouldn't call him overboard with it all, but I can see why others would. That's probably because I would get hung up on the past too since I'm just like that. I would be even worse than he is. Maybe I'm an emo! I need tight pants.

Wolf Kanno
03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
I need tight pants.

You sexy beast ;)

Anniexo
03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't think he was emo in the first disk of the game, he was more of a 'I don't care about anything' then he became 'I want to protect what I care for' half way though then when Arise died he did seem a little emoish because he cared for her.

squiike
03-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Did never think of Cloud as emo until i saw FF AC. goddamn, but what was to be expected? all the "cool" Japanese stereotypes are emo. Why cant men be MEN anymore?

Im not saying im into woman beating and not showing emotions ever. But were turning metrosexual here! haha

Darkswordofchaos
03-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I dont think he is Emo. Emo kids cut therselves cloud cuts others, i think he is a dark anti-hero who just so happens to be so deranged that he combined his and his bestfriends' lives into one enigmatic conundrum called cloud. but thats whats great about him, i mean how often is the hero a dark(but not emo) crazie person??

arcanedude34
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
WHAT!?!?

Thanks for the spoiler, Jusswehhhh♪. :nonono:

It's not a spoiler, it's revealed in like, the first five minutes.

Moon Rabbits
03-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Did never think of Cloud as emo until i saw FF AC. goddamn, but what was to be expected? all the "cool" Japanese stereotypes are emo. Why cant men be MEN anymore?

Im not saying im into woman beating and not showing emotions ever. But were turning metrosexual here! haha

What is being masculine if it is not being cruel and unemotional?

LunarWeaver
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Wearing a cowboy hat.

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow, you all have a very warped perception of masculinity and I thought I was the misanthrope.

I don't think having feelings is a bad thing for a male character. The main trait Cloud has that bugs me is that he wallows in self pity and doesn't take real action until it seems like its too late. He literally has to be pushed into action. He has two very long conversations about his feelings while the bad guys are kidnapping kids and filling them up with "Sephy juice" and instead of "Holy smurf, I got people to save!" he instead thinks "Wow, I'm worthless, I couldn't save Aerith or Zack and now I can't save the children... Hold me Tifa! Hold me Vincent!"

He has to be constantly comforted or scolded to finally move into action. He's was not this bad in the game mind you; but in the Compilation titles I feel he's a few steps away from the bad emo stereotype.

I just wish he prioritized better. Had there been no "Resurrect Sephy" plot going on in AC and it was just Cloud living his life after Meteorfall then his attitude in the movie may have been a bit more acceptable. Even though it goes against the fact that he and his companions already came to terms with Aerith's death back in the second disc of the game; so it still seems weird he's suddenly gone back on this revelation so he can do a "second take" with more crying and whining. Its this retconning of character growth and events that makes it impossible for me to enjoy this movie or the Compilation in general.

squiike
03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow, you all have a very warped perception of masculinity and I thought I was the misanthrope.

well enlighten us then, master of knowledge about emo

Wolf Kanno
03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Its more about the idea that masculinity is beating women, showing no emotion except cruelty... That's like saying being feminine is crying all the time, being uncontrollably emotional, and pleasing their man. :roll2

champagne supernova
03-27-2009, 11:01 AM
But Cloud may have pushed his guilt issues to one side to defeat Sephiroth, and replaced them temporarily with vengeance. He wanted to defeat Sephiroth for many reasons, but perhaps one of the biggest reasons was to avenge Aerith's and Zack's lives (obviously saving the world was high up there, and his mum's life, but trying to focus it a bit).

The moment he defeated Sephiroth, he realised nothing had changed. Avenging their lives didn't bring anyone back from the dead. And now he lacked a purpose, so all he was able to do was look at his problems. He never confronted the majority of the issues, like the burning down of Nibelheim, or Aerith's death, because he was basically unable to do so, due to the fact that he had to stop Sephiroth. Now, that was all he could do.

It's kind of how some people deal with trauma by digging themselves into so much work that they can't think about it. Cloud did that with Sephiroth, but the moment that was done, he had little left to do. And yes, he used his disease as an excuse to get away from Tifa, because he didn't want to be around her as he felt a complete failure.

I think the speech between Vincent and Cloud was supposed to illustrate how Cloud had followed onto Vincent's path. Vincent isolated himself completely from the world, so he could brood on his failure to protect someone close to him. He was also looking for forgiveness and redemption from someone who was dead. Likewise, Cloud felt responsible for Aerith's death, and wanted to brood on his failure.

So, I guess that means Cloud is emo. But I think he had a right to feel emo, based on the original events. And he has other flaws, such as the immense lack of self-confidence and self-hatred. But that's what makes him quite interesting.

tebian
03-27-2009, 01:55 PM
But Cloud may have pushed his guilt issues to one side to defeat Sephiroth, and replaced them temporarily with vengeance. He wanted to defeat Sephiroth for many reasons, but perhaps one of the biggest reasons was to avenge Aerith's and Zack's lives (obviously saving the world was high up there, and his mum's life, but trying to focus it a bit)

So, I guess that means Cloud is emo. But I think he had a right to feel emo, based on the original events. And he has other flaws, such as the immense lack of self-confidence and self-hatred. But that's what makes him quite interesting.

hehe ok reading all this b4 my coffee was EMO.. omgosh :p

You got my vote on Cloud being EMO but he has to be one of the most complicated of the characters ever made in the series. He could easily carry another side story of some kind like Vincent or Zack. I wonder if anyone ever thought to write book using him. They do that a lot for FFXI, would be cool to explain his feelings in text form.

Elly
03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
it is explained to a degree, in "On the Way to a Smile" the 3 part short story compilation that takes place between Meteorfall and AC... it's written by Nojima so it is canon not not some lame fan-fic... Smile clearly illustrates how Cloud started feeling more down about his past failures and didn't feel he was worth having someone as loving as Tifa and Marlene around to take care of, and it got worse after he found Denzil nearly dead from hunger & exhaustion from living in the derelect ruins of Midgar and bringing him home thinking Aerith led him to the boy, it was just a downward spiral from there, then everyone gets Geostigma and he feels his failure is complete... so he does what Cloud does naturaly and runs away to die in solitude... after all if he can't save himself or the life of one little boy who could he save?..

Darkswordofchaos
03-27-2009, 05:51 PM
it is explained to a degree, in "On the Way to a Smile" the 3 part short story compilation that takes place between Meteorfall and AC... it's written by Nojima so it is canon not not some lame fan-fic... Smile clearly illustrates how Cloud started feeling more down about his past failures and didn't feel he was worth having someone as loving as Tifa and Marlene around to take care of, and it got worse after he found Denzil nearly dead from hunger & exhaustion from living in the derelect ruins of Midgar and bringing him home thinking Aerith led him to the boy, it was just a downward spiral from there, then everyone gets Geostigma and he feels his failure is complete... so he does what Cloud does naturaly and runs away to die in solitude... after all if he can't save himself or the life of one little boy who could he save?..

oooh. I always had one question though why was marleane living with cloud if barrett is her father i thought mabey they were looking after her but in AC she treats cloud like hes her care giver. but mabey barret lives with cloud and tifa too IDK

Elly
03-27-2009, 06:00 PM
cause Barret left Marlene to "take care of Tifa & Cloud" as she put it while he was out looking for alternate sources of fuel... that's why he's all excited about finding oil in the intro to AC...

Darkswordofchaos
03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
ohh ok. Somthing i thought was kinda funny he fought mako energy cause it killed the planet then in ac he finds oil and i can only figure he wants to but that kills the planet to just slower

Wolf Kanno
04-21-2009, 05:55 AM
After further study, I have concluded that Cloud is not evil but rather an "Angsty Sue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue)" or in his case, "Angsty Stu".

He certainly fits the criteria.

RedPouch
04-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Let's not throw terms like that around so lightly, because I think branding something with a term ruins its credibility. You can pretty much brand almost any main FF character a type of "Sue" at this rate. I was talking with Roogle last night for quite a while about "Mary Sue" archetypes, and we decided to take the infamous "Mary Sue Litmus Test", to which I found out that an alarming number of characters in the FF series [and basically most any RPG out there] fall into this "Mary Sue" category. Still, I think that while most of these characters do indeed possess many of the "Mary Sue" qualities, it doesn't necessarily make them a "Sue" character. At the time FF VII came out, I believe that Cloud's char type had not been overly done yet in terms of RPG's [I'm saying it wasn't prevalent or common back then, I'm not saying it was brand new]. It's only now that everyone's come to spit on his character because he's "emo" [here's another bastardized word that I'm sick to death of hearing]. Of course he picks up qualities from Zack and adapts them, but in the end he still emerges his own person and nobody can ever be an exact duplicate of someone else.

PS. Before any of you get any funny ideas, I'm not a Cloud fanboy and he's definitely not my favourite male character ever. I just liked his character is all.

I believe it's all a case of not what you do, but how you do it.

Wolf Kanno
04-22-2009, 04:40 AM
To be honest, I feel Cloud is only emo in the context that had VII been released today, that's what he would be labeled as. In reality, he's not emo cause emo wasn't really around then so its unfair to call him by that term, he's just angsty :p.

As for the "Angsty" Stu thing, this is something I feel the Cloud from KH and the Compilation represent. Cloud isn't delved into better to understand him more, he is instead transformed into an overly melodramatic characture(sp?) of himself from the original game.

AC easily could have gone into Cloud coming to terms with his terminal illness but instead he dwells on a topic that for all intents and purposes was already resolved. I feel since this is a gross misinterpretation of his character it may be fair to say Compilation Cloud is an "Angsty" Sue cause all he has for character development is overcoming emotional pain that is hardly his fault and has technically been resolved but he forgets it every
time a new title is released.

Cloud from VII is not like this, he's gloomy and self defeating but at least he's a bit more focused than his Compilation/Spin-off self. To be honest, I feel Sephiroth has also gone through a drastic change in his many incarnations as well. He went from a arrogant lunatic to a more sadistic and generally flawless* villainous mastermind whose intentions are just to make Cloud cry. Once again, he went from being a somewhat human character to a generic "I R EVIL" type of villain.

*By this I mean he's perfect. He's an evil genius, he's got the power of Super Saiyan lv. 5 and that's before he draws his sword, and he's virtually an unstoppable force despite getting his ass handed to him 3 times now. The mass difference in power he shows in VII in comparison to AC or CC is HUGE.*

We could easily go into the issue of labeling characters by certain terminology. We don't like it cause most feel it has a negative connotation to it. Its easy to say an older character like Terra or Barret are cliches but in reality they were the originals. As for Mary Sue, the wikipedia entry gives off the impression that its such a broad statement that it would be harder to name characters from anything that are not Mary Sues. Even legendary myth figures like King Arthur or Hercules could easily fall into the term. Sometimes we need the mythological though and its better to escape the reality in which we live in if we are following a rather flawless character that can inspire to better ourselves. I feel conflict only arises when we try to justify the human aspect of these type of characters and we see they are more mythic than reality.

RedPouch
04-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Another reason why I do hate Sephiroth with a passion. I really didn't see much characterization for him at all. He just seemed like some crazy villain guy. I didn't really find him to be particularly "badass" at all to be honest. I find Hojo to be more of a true villain than anything else. He was easily the most devious and twisted mind in the entire game.

Spawn of Sephiroth
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Of course he is. What, do you honestly think the drank potions to heal himself. Pshh. Try Emo Thirst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJstNBmx5QM)!!

Elly
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM
sorry but i have to point out that Emo has been around since the mid 80s, when it was just a different version of punk infused with a touch of goth, now the word has been twisted and warped by "scene kids" and they think it is something entirely different and new when it's actualy older than most of the "scene kids" out there... people just didn't make a big deal out of it back then like they do now, now it's popular to hate on Emo when back in the day it was just ignored by the majority and often knocked only by "hardcore" punks and jock types...

Marky Tee
04-22-2009, 10:51 PM
he was a mit moody and depressed but i wouldnt say emo
too much of a good fighter for one thing

musashius
04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, he's pretty "emo" if you mean he's the type to post high contrast bathroom mirror pictures on MySpace and listens to... (uh, what is it these days?)... Underoath all day.

After their first mission and him and Tifa are just chillin' in the bar... she would've been totally down for a cuddle but he was all "not interested". Everybody knows any non-emo dude would tap that so fast.

In all seriousness I kinda just wish he lightened up a bit. Apart from being the cool hero with a big sword, I felt that he was one of the more boring characters in the game in terms of personality.

RedPouch
04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
sorry but i have to point out that Emo has been around since the mid 80s, when it was just a different version of punk infused with a touch of goth
I think you're referring to the genre of "Emotive Hardcore" which actually came from the group Rites Of Spring. Although the term "emo" sprung from this, it was never coined and used in the manner it is nowadays until later 90's, since back then it wasn't really used for anything else beyond referring to people that liked Rites of Spring.

now the word has been twisted and warped by "scene kids" and they think it is something entirely different and new when it's actualy older than most of the "scene kids" out there... people just didn't make a big deal out of it back then like they do now, now it's popular to hate on Emo when back in the day it was just ignored by the majority and often knocked only by "hardcore" punks and jock types...
And this sums it all up right here. It's just some bastardized word used by crappy scene 15 year-olds that just throw the term around ridiculously since they don't really have a very good vocabulary.

he was a mit moody and depressed but i wouldnt say emo
too much of a good fighter for one thing
And that's exactly what I'm saying. Sure he's pretty down, but he continues to fight on. Ultimately, he ends up coming to terms with his guilt and accepts things for what they are.

I'm so sick of hearing the bastardized term "emo" that I'm about ready to strangle a kitty cat. Honestly, the fact that this is the only word that people can find to describe his personality only highlights their lack of vocabulary as well as lack of character insight/ability to analyze.

Now if Cloud locked himself in his dark room writing lame poetry all day, playing poor-quality acoustics and singing about how he's going to kill himself and how the life sucks and nobody's worth enough to even live before he goes to dye his hair pitch black and get an eating disorder, that would be different.