PDA

View Full Version : The Apocalypse!

Yar
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
K I just had a really trippy dream about living in a (somewhat) post-apocalyptic world. Pretty much everyone had to leave the Earth because of some crazy disease that attacked people with a certain blood type. After I was approved to leave the Earth with everyone else, I decided to stay at home because it was the "noble thing to do" or whatever. Total BS. :down:

Later in the dream I needed to find some food, so I went to our pantry and there was still food but I realized that I would soon need to get more food. I thought I could just go to Walmart, but then it was like "oh, yeah. No one is alive to sell me things." Then I thought I could just go break into Walmart or whatever. I can't remember what I ultimately decided. Then I needed to decide on some shelter and find things to do. By now I was getting frustrated. "What the hell? It feels like I'm brainstorming for a massive essay!" I immediately woke myself up so that I could stop thinking about this terrible hypothetical.

So, EoFF! :monster: When you imagine an apocalypse or apocalypse-like situation, what is it like? Why is the world apocalyptified? (Wow, Firefox says that's a word.) Is it a nuclear holocaust? Volcanic eruption? Solar explosion? What do you do to survive? What do you do for food and where do you sleep? Do you become nomadic? Also, feel free to elaborate on other details. :p

Crimson
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Zombies.

Jiro
03-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Nuclear. People are stupid enough to want to nuke each other.
I cba to think what I'd do, which probably means I'd die even if I survived the initial death and destruction due to laziness.

Værn
03-24-2009, 08:46 AM
I imagine a world several years after a nuclear war. The outside world is a barren wasteland. Many live on the outside, free to do whatever they want, but struggling to find clean food and water. Some, though, live in underground vaults; they're confined within the small living quarters, but don't have to worry nearly as much about finding purified water and food.
The radiation has brought dangers to the world other than making food and water dangerous to consume, though. Many of the people affected by the radiation mutated. Though the mutations offer some benefits, such as prolonged life or immense strength, it has side effects. Rotting flesh makes many mutants outcasts; degeneration of the brain drives other crazy.
Thankfully, there are still weapons left from the war to fend of vicious mutants. Many people make a living trading guns. Unfortunately, with most of the old money lost or destroyed, they only have bottle caps to use as currency...

(I just beat Fallout 3 a few hours ago. That's exactly what I'm going to think about from now on when somebody mentions a post-apocalyptic world.)

Iceglow
03-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I've had to design stuff for post apocalyptical worlds and medieval worlds so I imagine this stuff all the time. I imagine EMP would be the scariest apocalypse if you destroyed all the machines that make the machines then we'd be thrown back around 2 - 300 years in terms of development with very few people capable of making things with pre-electric tools.

Scorched earth is a whole different kind of scary though the worst has to be the medieval turn back type apocalypse such as depicted in the books by Mark Chadbourne. The idea of being thrown in to a realm 500 years out of date with no idea how to survive it is pretty bad.

Old Manus
03-24-2009, 09:45 AM
A world where Labour win the next general election. I shudder at the very thought.

Caraliz
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
ZOMBIES. And raptors. and Bert.

Psychotic
03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
A world where Labour win the next general election. I shudder at the very thought.It's more likely than you think.

NeoTifa
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Zombies.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-25-2009, 02:20 AM
In order of most likely to least, this is what I've come up with.

1. Ozone Layer disintegrates, and we die of radiation poisoning from Sun.
2. Nuclear War.
3. Aliens invading.
4. Rampaging machines/robots.
5. Zombie virus.

Those are all very likely, then we get to the ones that are just barely remotely imaginable.

6. Volcanoes exploding and drenching the earth in soot, changing climate so drastically we can't adjust and we die.
7. Earth gets whacked by a meteor.
8. The Sun's gravity somehow lets go of Earth and we hurtle off in space and freeze to death.
9. Giant natural disaster.
10. Mass suicide.
11. Extremist groups kill everyone.
12. Mass sacrifice to a God.
13. "Anti-Christ" end world.
14. We run out of water like Mars did.
15. The Sun explodes, engulfing Earth in a giant Supernova, instantly incinerating everything in its path.

Psychotic
03-25-2009, 03:10 AM
3. Aliens invading.
5. Zombie virus.

Those are all very likelyReally?

Old Manus
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I've got this image in my head of washing machines and fridgefreezers sprouting legs and going on the rampage

Fonzie
03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
You just described the movie Knowing. :p

qwertysaur
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Big rip. Or we are in a false vacuum. Both are disingegration of matter. :p

another crazy one would be if Lavos popped out randomly and rained destruction. Then the robots would eventually go crazy because mother brain decided that robots are better then us. A nuclear winter where food is a myth. Sure we would have the enetron, but that still leaves us hungry. For fun we would have to race Johnny, because he is THE MAN :p

escobert
03-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I had a dream that zombies AND dinosaurs were attacking. It was nuts.

Darkswordofchaos
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
3. Aliens invading.
5. Zombie virus.

Those are all very likelyReally?

3/4 very likley
5 only kinda likley

Jessweeee♪
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
A big pandemic D:

I'll probably catch it S:

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Leviathan :D

Darkswordofchaos
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
lets be honest humans can never be exstinguished as a species were to hard headed

NeoTifa
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Sephiroth

Zeldy
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Zombies :whimper:

Iceglow
03-26-2009, 01:00 AM
In order of most likely to least, this is what I've come up with.

1. Ozone Layer disintegrates, and we die of radiation poisoning from Sun.
2. Nuclear War.
3. Aliens invading.
5. Zombie virus.

Those are all very likely, then we get to the ones that are just barely remotely imaginable.

6. Volcanoes exploding and drenching the earth in soot, changing climate so drastically we can't adjust and we die.
7. Earth gets whacked by a meteor.
8. The Sun's gravity somehow lets go of Earth and we hurtle off in space and freeze to death.
9. Giant natural disaster.
10. Mass suicide.
11. Extremist groups kill everyone.
12. Mass sacrifice to a God.
13. "Anti-Christ" end world.
14. We run out of water like Mars did.
15. The Sun explodes, engulfing Earth in a giant Supernova, instantly incinerating everything in its path.

Ok lets go through your ideas here, 15 is a nice big number I might skip a few...

1. Ozone Layer disintegrates, and we die of radiation poisoning from Sun. ~ This is quite possible, though we'd need a drastic level of ozone disintergration, after all there is already I think atleast 1 or 2 holes in the ozone layer

2. Nuclear War. ~ Well a lot of countries have nukes and if one country launches we'll all follow suit in a scorched earth scenario, though not every country has nukes, humanity is more likely to be decimated than exterminated

3. Aliens invading. ~ Really, seriously, c'mon give me a break. If aliens came to earth (it's not a question of existence thats pretty much a given considering how vast the galaxy is and how little we can explore) then they would most likely have no use for anything we have they would have to be super advanced to get here and if they're that advanced fossil fuels aren't going to get them anywhere. The ONLY way to provide enough energy for the kind of propulsion travel through space needs is a nuclear reactor the only way we know of that is. you can build a reactor now and it'll run in 1000 years time as long as you maintain it.

4. Rampaging machines/robots. ~ Robotics are seriously behind in the capabilities they describe in sci-fi. Should we have the technology to make an independant robot capable of learning and rebelling against programming safe codes then this would be more likely, we don't have that no need to worry. Almost all machine deaths can be traced to human error.

5. Zombie virus. ~ Zombies, c'mon seriously again! zombies are like a physical impracticality. For one the human body when dead cannot digest food or liquid the bowels shut down therefore the idea of the cannibal dead eating us is stupid. The second thing is bones become brittle and easily broken without ever healing. A cut or burn or bruise even can cause major damage without ever healing. The idea of Zombies is good for computer games and movies thats it.

6. Volcanoes exploding and drenching the earth in soot, changing climate so drastically we can't adjust and we die. ~ Technically possible, if the entire ring of fire erupted at once we'd probably be pretty screwed the climate change would be caused by more localized disturbances spreading not by one huge event.

7. Earth gets whacked by a meteor. ~ This is a high probability, should a big enough meteor survive the atmosphere. By the way, corrosive green house chemicals help stop this from happening by increasing air friction and corrosion. Most meteors that strike are smaller than a basketball. but if one the size of a volkswagen beetle hit we'd be in the creek so to speak.

9. Giant natural disaster. ~ whats the disaster? hurricanes and firestorms topped off with an ice age? could be possible but depends on a lot of circumstances.

11. Extremist groups kill everyone. ~ Extremists what to kill all of us apart from their own believers therefore this is impossible unless every extremeist suicided killing 1000+ of the rest of us each.

14. We run out of water like Mars did. ~ Water probably won't run out like on mars because it didn't run out. Water on mars froze in to the poles. I'd be more worried about the oceans becomming acidic and killing us and ruining the water cycle and that poisoning everyone.

15. The Sun explodes, engulfing Earth in a giant Supernova, instantly incinerating everything in its path. ~ This will happen. Without doubt just it will happen in about 8 billion years time. Except by then Earth won't exist, before the sun super nova's it will become a red giant. Earth is close enough that should it not actually be engulfed in the sun's corona at this point it will be completely burnt out like mercury is.

Sorry to pick them apart but really thats just silly saying alien invasion and zombie viruses are more imaginable or realistic than natural events that are pretty much either guaranteed or fully capable of happening tomorrow.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Ok, to your response to 3-5.

3-Look At the history of man. We area warlike race and we enjoy the glory and honor and exhilarating experience of war and battle. Now, maybe the aliens do come in peace, maybe they don't attack us, but the greed of men in wanting this technology will eventually cause one to steal it, and this may make the aliens very angry, and they might start war with the Earth.

4-I don't necessarily mean the robots coming tomorrow, more like in a few decades to maybe 200 years when they will be far more advanced and maybe capable of thinking on their own, and maybe noticing that the student really has surpassed the teacher.

5-Due to the many scientific advances in the medical fields, we are constantly creating new medicines for many things. In the past, we have created diseases, viruses, or bacteria that are harmful to us rather than helpful to us, and it may happen that we create something to cause the cells of a dead being to start working again, and this would cause all of the bodily functions of the said being to be brought back. Though, the next part of this theory is based on religion, and whether you believe that there is a "Soul" or something like that and a "Heaven" or "Hell," and also whether or not the dead feel jealous of the living and wish revenge on them, in which I'm not saying the zombies would consume flesh, but maybe they just lash out in rage and kill for it. Then, you could think, this is not an apocalypse, just a dawning of a new age or whatever, but the true race of man would be destroyed, in which case it is considered an apocalypse in some cultures.

And for 14, I should have said usable water, sorry for that.

blackmage_nuke
03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Sigh... A fanboy can dream (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmJfX2AI2Q)

Darkswordofchaos
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
5. Zombie virus. ~ Zombies, c'mon seriously again! zombies are like a physical impracticality. For one the human body when dead cannot digest food or liquid the bowels shut down therefore the idea of the cannibal dead eating us is stupid. The second thing is bones become brittle and easily broken without ever healing. A cut or burn or bruise even can cause major damage without ever healing. The idea of Zombies is good for computer games and movies thats it.

There is the possibility that the virus could attack and enter cells destroy and replace the midochondria and power the cells them selves making the resportory and circulatory systems redundant.
This could also revive the digestive systems or mabay th virus could could transfer food straight from the stomach.

Montoya
03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
World War III.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM

There is the possibility that the virus could attack and enter cells destroy and replace the midochondria and power the cells them selves making the resportory and circulatory systems redundant.
This could also revive the digestive systems or mabay th virus could could transfer food straight from the stomach.

And then we clone people without any genetical defect whatsoever, call them Alice, release the virus upon the world and build giant underground complexes where we do dangerous research. Also, we have AI.

Or we could just take the train straight to idiotville.

Take a molecular cell biology course before you sprout such nonsense again.

Old Manus
03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
A quick sumup of this page:

Reviving dead body cells = Walking, rotting dead craving for human brains

Darkswordofchaos
03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Well to be serious if we dont kill ourselves with nukes and stuff statisticly the most likely natrual thing to destroy the world would be a gigantour meteor.

Yar
03-27-2009, 05:10 PM
You just described the movie Knowing. :pReally? How old is it? Is it from the sixties or seventies?

ID BETTER NOT BE DREAMING OLD B-LIST MOVIES :mad2:

Darkswordofchaos
03-27-2009, 05:24 PM
And then we clone people without any genetical defect whatsoever, call them Alice, release the virus upon the world and build giant underground complexes where we do dangerous research. Also, we have AI.

Or we could just take the train straight to idiotville.

That sounds like a good movie, also whats the weather like in idiotville this time of year? :confused:

You just described the movie Knowing. :pReally? How old is it? Is it from the sixties or seventies?

ID BETTER NOT BE DREAMING OLD B-LIST MOVIES :mad2:

I've seen that general plot done sevral times on diffrent things thats prolly why you dreamed it