PDA

View Full Version : Most Likable Cast

MJN SEIFER
03-23-2009, 11:26 PM
There is already a topic on "Most Unlikable Cast" - but that *beep*'s too negative! So as an alternative, I have got this thread for the FFVII cast(s) that you liked better than others. (for the record I didn't bother with the MUC topic because there is no FF cast I hate.)
If possible explain why you like the cast(s)
These are my opinions, and I am speaking entirely from my own view point.

My most liked cast is the FFVII cast, closely followed by the FFVIII cast. Here are my reasonings;

Final Fantasy VII

Cloud - Always found him an interesting character, starts of fairly generic ("I'm just here for the pay" and the like) but you soon start to realize something is wrong, and the further you go, the more you not only discover, but also the more you end up changing what you initially thought was true. This part of what made FFVII so astounding in my opinion. Cloud himself had a very cool atmosphere to him, that is when he wasn't having memory problems, and losing control of himself, of course I liked that as well as it gave him a weakness, I wouldn't have liked it if he was the cool "hero" all the time, but he was cool when he was.

Tifa - Took me a while to like her at first, my opinions have changed, I can't even remember why I didn't like her straight away. (I guess I liked Aeris better, and refused to like Tifa because of that? Lame reasoning...) but anyway, I like her character now, she is a decent person and supportive of the other characters, she is also has good limit attacks, albeit done in a way I can't understand (incidentally I have yet to get "Final Heaven" to work...) Her relationship with Cloud is done nicely - I don't really know if they count as a couple or not, but if they do, then it is the most realistically introduced in my opinion (I find Squall and Rinoa to be the most realistic couple, but even they are not as "realistically introduced" as Cloud and Tifa are).

Barret - Didn't use him that much on my first playthrough as I was on some sort of "Swords are cool, guns are crap" phrase, but I got over it, and although I still don't use him that much, I like how is character is portrayed, if mainly for comedy value, I can thankfully take him seriously during his serious moments. This is another plus in Square’s writing.

Aeris - A character I liked from the start, she is likeable as a person, and is very skilled as a character despite her appearance. I often used her up until her death - which still brings tears to my eyes when it happens. I also like how her background ties in to the storyline history, and her limits where unique and very useful. On top of that, she are the first to have bad translation - that's a plus in my book :D

Yuffie - An optional, but again likeable character, she is often used in my team (although I for some reason haven't used her much this time around). I know she is hated by many, but I think she does pretty good in fights, and adds something to the game - I never realized until now how "added" some of her lines actually are though - which makes sense given the circumstances.

Red XIII (a.k.a "Nanaki" - I agree with most that he was underdeveloped at times, but I don't think that ruined his character. Often in films/games/programes there will be someone who just misses out on his (or her) final piece of background, and it was Red XIII in this game, but not that much in my opinion, the only things I really felt let down by is that they never said what he was exactly, and I kind of feel left in the dark on how he actually got to Midgar, unless something was said that I forgot. I also think Square should do a spin-off with him. Not an RPG though.

Cid - A "tradition" of FF games apparently. I never used Cid that much at first because my "X-Plode" always ignored him for some reason. I am no longer using an X-Plode, so I am going to have to level him up more, especially as I am nearing a part where he becomes the main character for a while. As a character though, I thought he was kind of cool. I liked how they handled his background, how he admits his mistake in something that happened, and of course, the swearing added for some good comedy (I find censored swearing funnier than actual swearing - swearing doesn't even offend me at all.)

Vincent - For reasons used for both Barret and Cid, I didn't use Vincent that much on my first playthroughs. Having gotten into guns (but I prefer swords still) I used him a bit more, but I still don't bother with him, because he has (in my opinion) the worst Limits in the entire game. You lose control over him, it's like having a berserker in your team albeit one that can use magic. As a character though, I think he is quite cool, he has a sort of dark atmosphere to him, which fits his storyline, which for what we see is interesting. His lines are probably "added" at times like Yuffie, but it isn't that noticeable, since he keeps to himself most of the time. Despite me changing my opinion on guns, I never really though one suited him though...

Cait Sith - Again someone who is never really given much chance to be liked, but well, get this - I think he's an excellent character! Ok, he's a stuffed toy, ok he's being controlled by a Shinra member, and ok he briefly betrayed the team but I used him a lot on all my playthroughs, and I am not put off by his appearance to stop me taking him seriously. Also he has my most favourite Limit in the entire game - "Slots"! I really enjoy using it, you don't know what your gonna get, I really like skills like that, it hasn't been used that much in FFs.

Final Fantasy VIII

Note: Although I liked the cast in this game, I will admit that most of the character had "optional" background stories, meaning they did have background, but Square didn't broadcast them as much as they did in previous games, it would be like FFVII only focusing on Cloud's storyline and making everyone else’s more subtle - I don't know why Square did this, I guess they felt like experimenting.

Squall - this may surprise you given my Screen Name, but Squall is actually my favourite character in any FF game. I really identified with his personality, because when I was younger I acted like that a lot, I didn't let people get that close to me, and felt let down by the world and so on. That "me" of course is no longer here, but I remember it, and I am pleased how much I have improved. That is also why I believe that Squall's change was completely believable, he has always had the potential to make friends with people, he just always held back. That is why Square allows you to "read his thoughts" - you see that he is saying one thing, but thinking another. I could probably go on and on, but this thread is probably pretty long already.

Rinoa - Again a character I really liked. I thought that her appearance into the life of someone like Squall was done brilliantly. I am pretty good at noticing hints, and I always had a feeling they would be a couple, and as I said before, I find them the most realistic paring in all FFs, I don't think it was done as suddenly as other people do, the stuff after she is in a coma and wakes up possessed was merely when Squall became more open about how he felt. I have watched enough romantic scenes to recognize the "signs", and they are in evidence since the first disk. And Before anyone says that "they only just met and suddenly they're in love" - well, that's true, but I think it's a Media Timeline. We don't know how much time passes throughout the FFs unless they are stated by the characters, so you can't really say that their love was sudden, and even if it was isn't that true for most films/games? At least Cloud and Tifa knew each other before hand, and even then they never really hung out with each other.

Quistis(sp?) - didn't get that much development sadly, but she added what she could to the story, again some characters end up left out sometimes, and she was one. I found her good to use during fights though at times. I liked how she was in authority, but was a close age to most of her students, that sort of thing is pretty common now.

Zell - definitely a fun character. His hyperactive was a good contrast to the serious characters like Squall, his background was pretty cool, despite being subtly portrayed. He was really cool to use in battle, having played FFVI as well, I kind of see Zell as what Sabin should have been in battle, Blitz was cool, but you can't see what to press during battle, Duel had a unique way of doing it as well.

Selphie I always thought it looked like she was fighting with a skipping-rope rather than a nunchuck, but this again was a character I liked. She seamed like someone, I would get on with in real life, and her background also worked quite well, her hints the game are quite good. I also find her "website" (or what ever you want to call it) a nice touch. Her "slots" limits are ok, in that they have some unique moves (one of which can just pass over the battle), it is not the same "slots" that I had in FFVII (or VI to some degree).

Irvine - again because of the gun thing I didn't use him that much at first. Once I started, I quite liked how they based his Limit on what ammo he was using, added a bit of extra realism. I found his going for girls attitude amusing, as I always do with characters like that, however this is the first time I had seen a character like that, who had a reason to be like that. And he is also the instigator to what is in my opinion one of the most underrated moments in Final Fantasy ever - the Orphanage Memory Scene I loved that scene, and on my second play through I looked carefully to see if and I could find hints towards it, and I did. I have always loved scenes like that, because It's something I am all too awhere of.

Seifer - (Does he count? I dunno...) Well obviously I must like this character in someway, huh? Well yeah, I liked how he was basically Squall in a different angle. They became who they where because of the same experiences, but reacted differently. Squall became distant, and avoid people, while Seifer acted like he wanted a fight with someone. I am a true believer that people get affected differently by things, and this was a good way of portraying it. I have been thinking a few things about Seifer, but I will not post them in this thread.

I don't really have anything to say about the "dream" characters yet...

Well thanks for reading if you did, looking forward to your favourite cast(s) they can be as detailed as you want.

Mercen-X
03-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Cloud - I wasn't really into RPGs till 7. I watched my cousin play II/IV but it wasn't enough to get me jaded. I didn't think of Cloud as generic, I wasn't really used to a mercenary as a main character. I did become interest in his past when it started popping up. Cloud the cool "hero" most times, but there ended up being more to him than that. I never thought of "heroes" being more than 2-dimensional robots necessary for saving the world. Since I couldn't really remember my experiences playing as Cecil, I never really thought much about character development in games. It was only after 7 and Cloud that I actually started paying attention.

Aeris
Took me a while to like her at first (I guess I liked Aeris better, and refused to like Tifa because of that? Lame reasoning...)I was the opposite, I instantly liked Tifa and couldn't stand the happy-happy Aeris especially when she assumed I (Cloud) would accept a date as payment. My initial thought was "who does this frilly chick think she is." I like her now; she's dead. No I'm kidding, but it does help to realize that she puts herself in harm's way in the hope of saving the planet.

Barret - Reminds me T. I like his attitude at times, not so much at others. Barret taking on Dyne alone for the sake of friendship. Priceless.

Tifa - A character I liked from the start, I think she's a likeable person and one of the best characters for use in battle alongside Cloud and Cid. I also want that date on the Gondola for my reality. Hell no would we be wastin' the ride staring at them dumb chocobos either.

Yuffie - Since I usually spent time traveling through forests every time I played, I never truly realized Yuffie was optional. Sure the first time I answered wrong and didn't get her, but I wasn't even looking for her when I started strolling through the forest again. I figured no matter how I answered, she'd join me eventually. She's too cute and an awesome fighter and although her materia obsession can be a bit annoying, tripping to Wutai for a couple of battles gives the bonus Leviathan materia. Having Vincent in your crew doesn't net you crap. It's also pretty cool that she and Cloud share a lack of affinity toward automated transportation. I like to think that Yuffie might eventually somethin'-somethin' with the Silent Hero.

Red XIII - Reserved for use in a Mini-Game spinoff alongside Cait Sith. I do feel left in the dark on what he was exactly and yes, how he actually got to Midgar. But I think Red was a bright character with more sophistocation and intelligence than the entire crew combined into a think-tank. I also liked his attacks and constantly wonder when the team will find 7's Supersoft like the one in 9. I want to see XIII and Seto reunited. I'm also curious about the ending. Where do the pups come from? The game never mentions Red's mother.

Cid - Ah, Cid, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... 1! Cid's cool with a past failure not quite as tragic as the main characters (or even Vincent), but with yet enough character to construct an instant connection. He obviously doesn't care too much what others think of him. His primary concern is piloting and his last limit is the Highwind which is IMO the coolest attack in the game next to Omnislash.

Vincent - You first encounter this Red Mage-looking guy in a Coffin... A COFFIN! That's great. You jump through hoops fighting a Lost Number and getting a key out of safe and you get to meet the closest thing the game has to a vampire... with transformations to boot. I really liked Galian and Gigas, but I hated Masker to the point blood nearly spurted outta my eyes. Useless creepy-looking Jason Vorhese wannabe. I liked Chaos at least in form. Sometimes Chaos would end up using Stan Slam far too often which was not really useful and I would have preferred seeing the Chaos Saber. I especially like it's evolution in DC. I think they should remake VII with those same transformations and revamp Gigas and Masker while they're at it.

Cait Sith - Yeah, if I had met my girlfriend before playing this, she would've brought me around to liking him sooner than I initially did. This guy really annoyed me and I thought it was weird seeing a this white creature follow me around and force himself into my party. (Quina instantly reminded me of Cait Sith when I first met him.)
At first, I did even realize there a cat on that thing. I just thought it was a weird looking suit until saw the cat jumping around on the mog's head. Then I got confused. There was zipper on the mog's back. Was there someone in there? What was so special about the cat? And which was Cait Sith? Answers to these questions and more when we return... now. Cait Sith was the cat. Kinda cute. Not sure how I feel about the Scottish accent. It makes sense given the origin of the name.
Is Reeve Scottish? I don't think Tuesti sounds Scottish... I've lot my train of thought.

I also liked Sephiroth... dun dun dun!

Final Fantasy VIII

Squall - I was going through a phase wear I liked to wear black so instantly identified with Squall. He also shared my mindset which was to be removed from others at any opportunity. Seifer reminded me of my cousin whom I had harbored a rivalry against for a while. I love the Gunblade too.

Rinoa - Didn't really like her all that much. Much less liked her weapon. I liked her dog though. That's one awesome pup! It was cool to find out she was a junior sorceress too. That's pretty much it.

Quistis - It was so hard to get her decent skills and sometimes her attitude annoyed more than Rinoa's... again; that's it.

Zell - I am a big fan of brawling characters. They like, tie with swordsman in my book (although recently the gunner has climbed up pretty close by). I really liked his attitude even though it clashed with Squall's (aka Mine) and his need to eat and fight and read magazines. Even his tattoo was cool and normally, I wouldn't have been keen on that.

Selphie - I'm not sure how well I thought she used those nunchaku, but I did like her attitude better than Rinoa's. Somehow, I saw her as the little sister I never had.

Irvine - Wannabe womanizer. Fine by me.

Seifer - Want's to be the Knight. Cool by me.

FFIX Choco Boy
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM
FFIX cast ftw.

Marky Tee
06-08-2009, 02:56 PM
i have to say ff9 by bloomin miles
steiner is just a god and zidane isnt far behind him either

was a breath of fresh air gettin a main character who wasnt an emo twat

EDIT- if only quistis woulda been in this game it would have been totaly awesome

NeoTifa
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm thinking 7, just because I hate Rinoa more than Aeris, and everyone knows how much I hate Aeris. Plus Tifa + Reno + Vincent + Sephiroth + Rufus = luvluv :love:

Laddy
06-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Tifa + Reno + Vincent + Sephiroth + Rufus = luvluv :love:I hope this isn't what you Google. :eek:

Kawaii Ryûkishi
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Zidane: An smirking, swashbuckling thief is a breath of fresh air in a series whose protagonists are often tediously maudlin, but he's not a complete bubble-headed imbecile like Tidus, either. The way he torments Steiner in particular is one of the highlights of the early part of the game.

Vivi: A uniquely innocent member of a race engineered to be mindless killing machines with a built-in expiration date, Vivi is a child consumed by the precarious dangers of his very nature. Yes, he's cute, but he's also thoroughly sympathetic.

Steiner: Steiner earns his stay just by being an epically blockheaded comic foil to Zidane. That he also goes on to pull off an adorably bumbling romance with a beautiful lady general -- and justify his doting tendencies as a heroic guardian of his liege -- are just bonuses.

Garnet: Disguising herself in a classic White Mage's robe and asking her kidnapper to please kidnap her is a pretty great introduction by any means. She's not the typical unflappable Tomboy princess, either; she knows she needs to stop her mother, but she's rather apprehensive regarding the burdens of her station. Piecing together her secret past and lineage over the course of the game is as fascinating as it is unexpected, too.

Freya: Dragon Knights are awesome. (Check it.) Dragon Knights who are also alabaster Irish rat women cloaked in red are more awesome.

Quina: "I do what I want! You have problem?" The Active Time Events showing him/her bumbling across the world until finally rejoining the party comprise one of the game's greatest comic threads, too.

Salamander: People seem to find ol' Amarant kind of boring, but he's my favorite interpretation of the "stoic, amoral badass" archetype next to Shadow -- probably because it's so frequently played for laughs. His sordid backstory with Zidane and nonexistent romance with Lani are amusing enough, and his terse rivalry with Freya is especially so. But I think I mainly love him just for Amano's version (http://www.ffodyssey.com/ff9/amano_amarant.jpg). Look at that guy!

Eiko: A six-year-old in love with a sixteen-year-old. A+. :ffvitrouble:

(She has a pet Moogle, too.)

Rantz
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm just gonna be lazy and let Kishi represent me on this subject.

NeoCracker
06-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Its not our fault he's so right.

Marky Tee
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Steiner: Steiner earns his stay just by being an epically blockheaded comic foil to Zidane. That he also goes on to pull off an adorably bumbling romance with a beautiful lady general -- and justify his doting tendencies as a heroic guardian of his liege -- are just bonuses.

he is also the greatest combatant in the history of everything

Zerokku
06-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Thirding this.

Depression Moon
06-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I didn't know that IX was your fav too and don't think I'm trying to be prick correcting you on one little thing, but Zidane was 17. IX's my favorite cast by far. fourthing him. Second for me would have to be X.

blackmage_nuke
06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
The best cast I feel is of course from Final Fantasy VI. It was just brilliant how everyone had their story to tell. I dont need to write a description about why I like each one, and why each one is brilliant because the game gives a description for me.

A mysterious young woman,
controlled by the Empire, and
born with the gift of magic...

Treasure hunter and trail-worn
traveler, searching the world over
for relics of the past...

The young king of Figaro Castle,
ally to the Empire, and a
master designer of machinery...

Edgar's twin brother, who
traded the throne for his own
freedom...

He owes allegiance to no one,
and will do anything for money.
He comes and goes like the wind...

Product of genetic engineering,
battle-hardened Magitek
Knight, with a spirit as pure as
snow...

Faithful retainer to his family's
liege, with the courage and
strength of a hundred men...

Draped in monster hides, eyes
shining with intelligence.
A youth surviving against all
odds...

A blackjack-playing,
world-traveling,
casino-dwelling free spirit...

Admirer of bone-carvings,
as strong as a gigas,
a sasquatch pal with muscle!

Human-loving, fast-talking,
street-smart, SLAM-dancing...
Moogle...

An elderly gentleman, pure of
heart, and learned in the ways
of monsters...

In her pictures she captures
everything:
forests, water, light...
the very essence of life...

Shrouded in odd clothing,
...is this a man...?
...a woman...?
...or should we ask...?

Wolfen
06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
The OP mentions that we do not know how much time passes in game when talking about other saying Squall and Rinoa's relationship grew too fast. My comment on this is that in FFIV The After, the moon phase changes every thirty minutes of game play. That would make it seem like every hour is actually two months! But another thing to keep in mind is that the moon changes when you stay at an inn. So I would say that every half hour of gameplay is about a day in their world.