PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest III

Evastio
03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
No, I'm not going to tell you all that Dragon Quest III is being released on the DS. It'd be really awesome if it was though.

...well, in a way, Dragon Quest III has been "released" recently, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

So have you ever played Dragon Quest III before? What versions have you played and which version do you like the best? Do you use the "convenient" class change system frequently?

The GBC version was a lot of fun, though I wouldn't say that it's my most favourite due to getting full access to the second dungeon being tedious, and the graphics in that version being the least colourful and bright. I know that the bonus dungeons are optional, but I usually try to complete games 100%, and I get annoyed at the game if it's too mind-numbing trying to get everything.

As for the class change system, I only used it once my first time through to get a Sage. For every run through after the first, I've been using it to get things like soldiers with mage spells, dealers that have healing spells, etc.

Zeromus_X
03-27-2009, 02:51 AM
I really liked DQIII. The only one I played was the GBC version, so I guess I like that one the best.

It's funny you made this thread because I was recently looking up info on DQIII a while ago. I didn't even know there was a second bonus dungeon in the game (though given the Guide Dang It method of unlocking it, I'm not surprised). I thought the first bonus dungeon + dragon was hard enough.

I never really messed with the class changing system (due to having to relevel the characters you class change) but I'm sure I made a sage at least once. I think I stuck with the same three people the entire game.

I've always wanted to try the SNES version for the improved graphics + sound but I don't think they ever completed a patch for it (correct me if I'm wrong).

JKTrix
03-27-2009, 04:40 AM
Completed SNES patch came out not too long ago. Tenchi Muyo RPG too (OMG Nostalgia), but that has nothing to do with Squenix.

Del Murder
03-28-2009, 07:30 AM
I played the NES version. It was better than the first two but I liked IV better. FF does the job system a lot better than DQ.

Jowy
03-28-2009, 08:19 AM
GBC version was awesome, never got to kill Divinegon though. Turning my priest into a monk was the :bou::bou::bou::bou:, think I made my mage into a sage too.

theundeadhero
03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I had a lot of fun with the game. I've only played the NES version but liked it a lot. Even though they're mostly useless I like having a goof-off in the party.

Flying Mullet
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Dragon Warrior III is my favorite RPG of all time after Final Fantasy VI. I'm surprised my NES cartridge still works after all this time and so many playthroughs. I also have the GB Color version. I've found all but three of the silver medals (granted this is over 8 years of playing several times), so I'm close to getting to the Grand Dragon so I can win the Rubiss Sword. Then you have to find all the gold medals for him. It's hard but it makes it more interesting, especially the Pachisi (sp?) Tracks that have been added.

Three jesters to sages is the best. Then you can convert to a soldier, thief and someone else and kick some major ass.

Bolivar
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
It has a huge legacy of being one of the best so I began playing it on an NES emulator not too long ago. I liked it alot but I gave up on it for the sake of newer games I had just gotten.

So the SNES patch is out, huh? I was looking for it at the time, I'll have to give this one a go somtime.

theundeadhero
04-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I tried to patch it but couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

RedPouch
04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I loved DQ III, but I have to say that DQ IV was better for me [it's an all-time favourite!]. I also liked DQ I and II a lot [I is just a classic... I love it!]. The only thing that bothers me about these games is seeing Akira Toriyama's ugly artwork plastered all over it.

Flying Mullet
04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
I tried to patch it but couldn't get it to work. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
If you're not having any luck with the SNES patch, the GBC version has all of the same features as the SNES version but with graphics in-between the NES and SNES.

I loved DQ III, but I have to say that DQ IV was better for me [it's an all-time favourite!].
I keep saying I'm going to go back and play DQ IV with the game genie code that allows for manual control over the rest of your party in Chapter 5 but I haven't done so yet. That always bugged me and was my only major complaint about the game.

RedPouch
04-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I keep saying I'm going to go back and play DQ IV with the game genie code that allows for manual control over the rest of your party in Chapter 5 but I haven't done so yet. That always bugged me and was my only major complaint about the game.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. Still, I'm glad I go to control my favourite character [the Zenithian Hero]. He's so cool! And I love his spell array and character design. My other favourites were Mara, Alena, and Cristo.

Flying Mullet
04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Which one of the sisters had horrible HP and MP? I never used her.

RedPouch
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Which one of the sisters had horrible HP and MP? I never used her.
I think you might be referring to Nara. She actually has good stats, but the problem is that she levels a lot slower than everyone. I preferred Mara for her offensive magic.

theundeadhero
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I actually prefer the other sister Mara because for me a curing magic character is far more valuable than an offensive magic user.

RedPouch
04-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I actually prefer the other sister Mara because for me a curing magic character is far more valuable than an offensive magic user.
Cristo generally takes care of that. Plus, the hero has some Heal spells of his own for backup.

Flying Mullet
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
I never used the magic users much as I didn't prefer how the various AI tactics had them perform in battle. Thus my main party was usually the hero, Alena, Ragnar and Taloon. Unless I was hunting King Metals and Metal Babbles on the way to the underworld. Then Cristo was in my party so his mirror shield would reflect the fireball spell and wipe out the King Metals and Metal Babbles. :D

Evastio
04-25-2009, 06:01 AM
I've finally defeated the game and got all of the wishes. I have to say I enjoy the "new release" more than I do the GBC version. Sure the GBC version had an extra dungeon, but it was more brutal than fun, having to collect all monster medals to go through the whole thing.

I was also able to get all of the wishes. I especially like how you no longer have to waste wishes on the second bonus dungeon. I'm still missing one of the Small Medals though so I only have 109 out of the 110. It's bugging me a lot since I've went through the Game FAQs small medal list at least twice and I still couldn't find it. I even brought a thief with me who'd do Thief Nose to ensure that I got all the Small Medals in the areas I explored. Yeah, I know that you only need 100 of them to get all the prizes, but it's going to annoy me that I haven't given the small medal man all 110 of them since he stops accepting them after giving away the Gold Pass.