PDA

View Full Version : Playing PS1 On PS3 on Plasma HDTV

Blank IX
03-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Hello, Final Fantasy fans! I've decided to ask this question on a FF board rather than some HDTV Tech site, because quite simply, the only PS1 games that I own and play on my PS3 are those great old-school FFs. Since I own just about all of them (and would like to play them regularly), it would be nice to get this problem solved. I figured that at least someone on here has run into a similar problem. So here goes!

We recently upgraded our setup to a 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV (not sure of the exact model off the top of my head, but it can be fetched if need be). So, naturally, playing a PS3 on this TV is a great experience. However, when I popped in one of my PS1 disks (in this case, Final Fantasy VI), I noticed that there were black bars on the sides of the game screen. These appear no matter what setting I use under the PS1 upscaler options on the PS3 (Off, Normal, and Full Screen).

I'm fine with this. I understand perfectly that having those bars there keeps the game in its intended aspect ratio, and that stretching the game screen would take away from the whole experience of it. I could live with those black bars being there, but this is where the problem begins.

I don't own this home theater setup... my dad has full say in how we use this new TV. And, since it's literally only a week old, he's generally very protective of it, and is aggressively fearful of, yes, you got it, image retention. He believes - quite logically - that the black bars that appear when I play PS1 games on the plasma screen will burn in over time, and this is certainly not a good thing. As such, he really doesn't want me playing these old games, should such an incident occur.

Here's where I [finally] ask my question: Is he overreacting? Will the black bars that appear when I play the occasional classic FF game really pose such a threat to the health of our new TV? Should I simply abandon the idea of playing these games on a bigscreen TV (seems unlikely, since the PS3 was made to allow for PS1 play at high resolutions, right?)? Or, is there something I'm not doing right? Can the screen be stretched to eliminate these black bars (undesirable, but perhaps necessary?)?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! And may I just say you have a great feeling board here. I could see myself becoming quite comfortable here =)

- Blank

Zaskull
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I would say it's possible for the bars to burn into the screen. How to change screen size, however, may or may not lie in "System Settings".

Sorry that I'm not very helpful. "/

Crimson
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Images on a TV screen dont randomly become a threat to it O_o

Have you tried adjusting the ratio on the TV itself?

o_O
03-28-2009, 01:55 AM
Early plasma screens did suffer from burn-in quite easily, and that's why you were never supposed to play video games on them. Newer plasmas are supposed to be able to take 10 hours a day for 10 years without suffering burn in though.

Mirage
03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Only bright colours can burn in. And even then, it takes an incredible amount of time to do so. Furhtermore, it isn't even permanent, burnt in plasma displays can be fixed by displaying an all white image at maximum brightness for a while, then make it go all black again.

If your father was right, then you'd burn in the TV by turning it on and not select a channel :/

Crimson
03-28-2009, 11:20 PM
The only game I recall burning in happening was on FFIX (maybe FFVII too, I forgot) where because FFIX's cursor is constantly blinking, if you leave it too long in one spot.....well, you'll see.