PDA

View Full Version : Chrono trigger GOOD/BAD???

Darkswordofchaos
03-28-2009, 01:59 AM
I got this game when i bout the FFC package to get FFIV so i could play on my PS instead of on my GBA of SNES but anyways ive had it for almost a year now and i started playing in got about 15-30 min in and i stopped playing then the next day i got Final Fantasy XII and ive been getting other games since. Im currently beating SH3 and wonder do yall think I should go back and play it when im done whith silent hill.

I wona here some opinons on the game wether good or bad.

Zechs
03-28-2009, 02:41 AM
It has got to be one of the better RPG's released since it's debut. Definitely give it a play through. It is one of the more revered titles from Square.

03-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Are you kidding?

Here's a list of a ton of reviews:

Chrono Trigger Reviews for SNES - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/563538.html)

I counted 77.

Notice how many reviewers gave it 10 out of 10? I counted 60. So more than 2/3rds of those reviews gave it a perfect score. And that's a perfect score, not even counting people who gave it a 9/10. The lowest score I see there is 7/10, and only one person gave it that. That should tell you it's at least worth a try.

Wolf Kanno
03-28-2009, 04:25 AM
I consider it one of the greatest RPGs ever made. It raised the bar on what an RPG is, and many of the early PS1 titles were heavily influenced by it including a certain seventh installment to a certain series...

It has aged considerably well for a 16-bit RPG and for me at least; I feel there are very few titles released even today that can create as much of a joyous satisfaction as this title can. Its a bit slow at first and snow balls into awesome adventure with several possible outcomes. :cool:

Elly
03-28-2009, 04:55 AM
one of the best games ever, glad it came back to Nintendo so we have the Zabie code back, the PSone port was terrible though i mean i literaly fell asleep a couple of times waiting for the fights to load, playing at 1am didn't help either though... if you can, play it on the DS since it has all the stuff the SNES & PSone versions have and no load times, and the translations better than what Woolsey did...

The Man
03-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Anyone who calls Chrono Trigger a bad game has pretty much discredited his or her ability to evaluate a game. Last time I checked at Gamerankings it had a score of 95%, which was higher than any Final Fantasy title had (or maybe it was Metacritic, can't remember, but the point's the same). I'd say FFVI is better than it, but apart from that I can't really think of any other games in the same genre that compare.

Play it.

trancekuja
03-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Play it. Right now.

Depression Moon
03-28-2009, 04:18 PM
It's pretty good, but I don't claim it really that high, but you shouldn't listen to me because I'm just saying it because I'm frustrated that I can't beat the end boss or any of the secret bosses.

Elly
03-28-2009, 04:49 PM
wow, here's a hint, Lavos is not the one in the middle, heh heh... good luck...

Rostum
03-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I love Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. I can't wait to buy CT DS and I really hope that one day they touch up CC and rerelease it for PSP or something (note: I said touch up not remake, pls).

Crimson
03-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Chrono Trigger is pure win condensed into a single game.

Chrono Cross sucked though IMHO.

Elly
03-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Cross was awesome, especialy if you caught all the referances to Trigger and understand that it's not a direct sequal, but rather a seperate story set in motion by the actions of the first on two different time lines that splintered off of the original Trigger time line due to the actions of the Chrono team... i too would love to see Cross touched up and ported to the PSP, i love Trigger on DS and believe it belongs on an oldschool feeling Nintendo System, but since Cross was designed on PSX then it's more comfortable on the PSP... also a port of Radical Dreamers would be awesome on the DS as it would be really comfortable to play while holding the DS bookstyle, text on one side, images on the other, maybe DSiWare can do something with that considering it was originaly a downloadable SNES game through the SatellaView system...

Jiro
03-29-2009, 06:11 AM
You'd better be playing it right now.

Darkswordofchaos
03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Lol thanx yall seem to think it is pretty good and if its said on EoFF its got to be true. im gona start playing it tonight.

Marky Tee
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
its completly awesome

Fynn
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Lol thanx yall seem to think it is pretty good and if its said on EoFF its got to be true. im gona start playing it tonight.

You'd better!

nickwilson
04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
i would say it is one of the best games from back in the day. i just want a remake sence they been doing alot.:choc::mog:

Laddy
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
it suxxors!

it has dum grafics and teh music and storys make no sence!

Yar
04-17-2009, 05:12 AM
It's okay. I still need to finish it, but I prefer Chrono Cross by leaps and bounds.

Roogle
04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
The general concensus is that the majority of the fanbase prefers Chrono Trigger over Chrono Cross, but that Chrono Cross is a good game in its own right. I would strongly recommend playing Chrono Trigger and, at least, trying Chrono Cross.

McLovin'
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
CT is epic with an awesome main theme. CC was a very interesting game with a nice fighting style.

Akaria
04-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Chrono Trigger was the first game I ever sat down and actually played. (I say first because I never actually "sat down" to play Barbie or Duck Hunt...) That being said, and having played countless RPGs since, I still consider CT the best RPG I've ever played. The SNES version is the best, in my opinion, so if you can get a hold of that, that will be prime. The PS1 version was TERRIBLE because of the solid three second load time just to get to the freaking menu, and I'm not too fond of the DS version because of the alternate translation. (Fiendlord? Really?) It just doesn't sound right to me since I've played through the SNES version so many times and have come to expect precisely the same words.

Chrono Cross held it's glory for me mostly because of all the Chrono Trigger references. Maybe it was just because of the time, and my parents didn't let me go on the internet back then, but nobody I knew played video games. If I had come across one or two people that had, they definitely hadn't heard anything about a "Chrono Trigger". That being the case, I felt like when I got Chrono Cross, all the references to CT were special; one could even say for me. It was a good game, of course, but the references were well placed.

But no, really. For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - - Play Chrono Trigger now, and give Chrono Cross a shot, like Roogle said. It's not time wasted.

Elly
04-29-2009, 05:15 PM
i actualy prefer the new translation, and i too have been playing since it came out on SNES, so much that i have seen every ending possible on the SNES and PSone versions... anyway i feel the newer translation is far better than the Woolsey translation as it's now closer to the original japanese script, i'm glad they fixed the alcohol referances and removed Frogs dialect, he's actualy likable now, when in Woolsey's translation he was mearly annoying as no one else in his time period spoke like that... i also like that the commoners refer to Magus as the Fiendlord adding a bit of mystery to the character and shows that the commoners dare not speak his name possibly in fear of summoning the dreaded Fiendlord himself by doing so, playing on midevil superstitions where they believed that by uttering a demons name summoned said demon...

Mo-Nercy
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Just about the best Square game ever.

Bolivar
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
It was way ahead of its time. It overshadows most other RPG's on the SNES, and paved the way for when Kitase/Nomura/<T2> Takahashi/Ken Narita and them finished up working on Chrono Trigger and began work on Final Fantasy VII. Actually, FFVII is alot more like Chrono Trigger than it is like Final Fantasy VI. The visuals, music, story, and gameplay all stand out as the best that generation of RPG's have to offer.

However, I'm going to stand up and tell you it's one of those 16-bit RPG's that gets overrated by the Japanese-Enthusiast American crowd who played SNES video games at the time. There've been plenty of much better games to come out after it.

That's not to say it isn't great, and any fan of the genre owes it to themself to play it to understand notable games in history.

Dreddz
05-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I think the middle option in the poll sums this game up nicely. Its a good game, ahead of its time for sure, but not the be all end all of JRPG's. As far as 16-bit RPG's go I reckon FFVI is the one sitting highest on the podium.

RedPouch
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the other 30 voters in this poll that went with the first choice and say that it was a really great RPG, despite the fact that Akira Toriyama did the character designs. This in no way undermines FF VI, but its success can't be denied.

It's okay. I still need to finish it, but I prefer [I]Chrono Cross by leaps and bounds.
Hm, leaps and bounds? I really enjoyed Chrono Cross, but I detested their battle music. It sounded like some kind of dance. It was one of my favourites though. And plus, Serge is a hottie, even if he is quiet.

The general concensus is that the majority of the fanbase prefers Chrono Trigger over Chrono Cross, but that Chrono Cross is a good game in its own right. I would strongly recommend playing Chrono Trigger and, at least, trying Chrono Cross.
I'd say more than just give Chrono Cross a try. The story of Chrono Cross had a great scope, I thought it was beautifully done.

Roogle
05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd say more than just give Chrono Cross a try. The story of Chrono Cross had a great scope, I thought it was beautifully done.

I have trouble recommending a game where everyone and their mother joins the party, literally. I agree that the story was beautifully done and that there are memorable storyline points and characters, but I was not a fan of the gameplay and that can be a deciding factor for many people wanting to try a new game.

Elly
05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
the thing about being able to recruite all those characters is that most of them are optional, you do not have to recruit all of them or even half of them if you do not want to... i always took it that the creators aproached that aspect by hearing players say "_____ was so awesome, why could we not have the option to play them?" so they added the option to recruit many unique characters, if you wanted to...

RedPouch
05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I have trouble recommending a game where everyone and their mother joins the party, literally. I agree that the story was beautifully done and that there are memorable storyline points and characters, but I was not a fan of the gameplay and that can be a deciding factor for many people wanting to try a new game.
I agree, but I try to ignore those silly excess characters and just stick with the cool ones [it's all about SergexGlenn]. Glenn's a kickass cutie and Harle's just awesome. I don't think anybody uses that fat lady anyways. Besides, all the characters end up being more-or-less the same anyways[sorta like FF VII], so I never understood the point of giving such a huge roster.

Roogle
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
the thing about being able to recruite all those characters is that most of them are optional, you do not have to recruit all of them or even half of them if you do not want to... i always took it that the creators aproached that aspect by hearing players say "_____ was so awesome, why could we not have the option to play them?" so they added the option to recruit many unique characters, if you wanted to...

Many of the characters join the party upon their introduction without any clear indication or motivation for doing so. Many of the plantoid characters are examples of this: NeoFio, Turnip, and Funguy.

I can see this as a point for the characters that you come across in the course of the story like Macha and Steena, but maybe over a dozen characters had no relevance to the story aside from being a party member.

I agree, but I try to ignore those silly excess characters and just stick with the cool ones [it's all about SergexGlenn]. Glenn's a kickass cutie and Harle's just awesome. I don't think anybody uses that fat lady anyways. Besides, all the characters end up being more-or-less the same anyways[sorta like FF VII], so I never understood the point of giving such a huge roster.

I would have enjoyed this game a lot more if only the story relevant characters like Glenn and Harle joined the party. This would have helped characterization and interactions in the story. I think I saw a list that someone created on another forum several years ago that listed about a dozen characters that would join and leave the party at certain intervals and the story would have been a lot more cohesive if this was the case; there would be no pointless sidequests recruiting plants that sprout out of the ground or anything like that.

Wolf Kanno
05-21-2009, 03:39 AM
My issues with CC were simply the roster of silly irrelevant characters but that's not nearly as annoying as the games rather bland battle system. Its intriguing with the summons and the final battle but overall, I found the system rather lacking overall, especially since a normal attack was faster and more productive.

I guess the other part is the lackluster optional endings. They were kinda funny but I feel that most of them lacked the kind of impact the CT endings had. Part of this has to do with the rather impersonal cast of optional characters.