PDA

View Full Version : Little late

Bunny
03-29-2009, 04:40 AM
But hey guys. I just watched Twilight for the first time today. It was terrible, how could anyone think it was a good movie?

Oh and I read the books too

Jowy
03-29-2009, 05:14 AM
DON'T INSULT EDWARD HE IS MY HUSBAND AND WE WILL MAKE SPARKLY KAWAII VAMPIRE BABIES TOGETHER DESU ^_^;;;;;;;;

I don't need to see it to know that it's horrible.

Renmiri
03-29-2009, 05:15 AM
Ewwwww!!!! How did you manage to read all those w/o setting them on fire ?

A vampire that twinkles ? Pu-lease!!!

Bunny
03-29-2009, 05:18 AM
I read them because I wanted to see what the hype was about. They made me angry but I am a very patient person.

Miriel
03-29-2009, 05:43 AM
It's literally *the* worst film I've ever seen. But it's sooo hilariously bad. Couldn't stop laughing during the whole, "THIS IS THE SKIN OF A MONSTER!!!!" scene. Oh gooood. xD

The acting was so bad that I actually suffered embarrassment on behalf of the actors. So cringeworthy!

Momiji
03-29-2009, 05:47 AM
What the hell ever happened to vampires bursting into flames of awesomeness when exposed to sunlight?

LunarWeaver
03-29-2009, 05:49 AM
I lol'd when Stephen King said she can't write (http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/02/exclusive-steph.html).

But I've never read them or seen the movie. I'm too lazy to do either.

Meow
03-29-2009, 05:57 AM
why yes I would enjoy a look into the fantasy mind of a teenage fat girl

Bunny
03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
It's literally *the* worst film I've ever seen. But it's sooo hilariously bad. Couldn't stop laughing during the whole, "THIS IS THE SKIN OF A MONSTER!!!!" scene. Oh gooood. xD

The acting was so bad that I actually suffered embarrassment on behalf of the actors. So cringeworthy!

Seriously. My girlfriend and I were laughing throughout the entire movie. The first 30 minutes we had to pause it every once and awhile to bag on it hard. We also cracked up everytime Jasper showed up on screen. She kept yelling "OH GOD HE'S CREEPING AGAIN" at one point.

We had to pause it after the glowy seen because we were laughing too hard and couldn't hear anything that was going on. Admittingly, I enjoyed Emmett's character. I think he did the best job acting because he was only on screen for like 20 seconds.

We're trying to come up with a drinking game now but it's really hard. You either don't drink at all or you get totally smashed in the first 5 minutes.

What the hell ever happened to vampires bursting into flames of awesomeness when exposed to sunlight?

That's a pretty new belief in the Vampire belief system. Stoker completely smurfed the entire thing.

Crimson
03-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Be careful guys, take it too far and the fangirls will eat you alive.

Srsly this is like the american version of Vampire Knight.

Yar
03-29-2009, 06:59 AM
I want to be a sparkly gay vampire. :( Then young girls will want to have sex with me all the time.

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM

This. :up:

She kept yelling "OH GOD HE'S CREEPING AGAIN" at one point.

I watched this film at the cinema and shouted pretty much exactly the same thing every time. xD Worth every glare.

I want to be a sparkly gay vampire. :( Then young girls will want to have sex with me all the time.

Ditto.

Having said that, I still own and read sometimes all the books. They cringetastically wonderful. Big fan of the "OH NO EVERYBODY LOVES ME BUT I'M PATHETIC! NO ALL THE EVIDENCE IN THE WORLD COULDN'T MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND! NO! HOW COULD SOMEONE HOT LOVE ME?! OK YOU DO LOVE ME! I LOVE JAKE! NO I DON'T! HE LOVES MY BABY!"

End of series.

Jessweeee♪
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes! The soundtrack has a few nice tracks on it, though xD

My cousin pirated it so she could watch it again (she's a fangirl xD) with her mom this time, and I was all like "lol here it comes" and the THIS IS THE SKIN OF A KILLER BELLA thing came up and we were laughing so much. I just love how the triangle ended with a werewolf falling in love with an infant xD

Twilight isn't the worst of the genre, though :p

scrumpleberry
03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
OH EDRAWD YOU ARE THE BOST BESUTIFUL VAMPYRRR OF ALL TIME (http://temptu.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/robert-pattinson-kristen-stewart.jpg)

Yyyeah. Check this (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/6860/Stuart.jpg), bitches.

(not condoning Anne Rice, but honestly Pattinson fans WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. If you're going to obsess over a vampyyyyr hottie, the least you can do is make sure he's actually hot.)

Ahahahahah and in the last book when she turns into a vampire, this was the part where I was really thinking "Okay, Smeyer, here is the chance to show us any writing skills you actually have! Go for it!", she wakes up and it's all like I DID A TRIPLE BACKFLIP IN A MILLIONTH - NO, A ZILLIONTH OF A SECOND, AND THEN I TURNED AROUND AND I COULD SMELL A CHICKEN BEING COOKED LIKE OVER A QUAZILLION MILES AWAY AND IT WAS LIKE OH MY GOD THIS IS SOOO COOL AND THEN I LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND I WAS SO HOT IT WAS TOTALLY UNREAL-

I laughed at that part of it all year. Oh, and Renesmee. Just....everything about her, from conception onwards.

Here is a supar good parody (http://stoney321.livejournal.com/317176.html) for people who like to laugh at Twilights.

Polaris
03-29-2009, 01:49 PM
XD I did read all the books and I am currently reading "The host" and I also watched the film. Stephenie Meyer has a degree on english literature so let's face it she is not exactly dumb. She knows a lot of books, however the "Twilight" series are for young girls, and it's like cocaine, you read and you can't stop, but if you stop to read it again you get bored and it's crap because it has no depth, no meaning. It is an ok serial for teenagers and grown up girls. The scene of vampire that started glowing was gay, but we have to see that Stephenie Meyer is a woman and she writes like a woman, so is nearly impossible for men to enjoy her books.

Burtsplurt
03-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I went to see it with a friend, and he actually liked it. Wouldn't have thought a 26 year old male was the target audience, but hey!

I think 11 year old emo girls will probably like it. Not really a lot there for anyone else (apart from an Iron and Wine song - awesome!).

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Hey, I'm an 18 year old male and I liked the film. Having said that, whoever plays Alice Cullen is smoking hot, so I'd enjoy it regardless of the hideous acting that relentlessly butchered my senses. Seriously, cheer the fuck up Eddie. Way to ruin that character.

Bunny
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
They did a very good job in terms of casting very attractive people. I think the only people that weren't all that attractive were Bella and Edward. It's a shame that none of the actors had any sort of chemistry with each other. Alice was almost exactly what I expected of her. But it's really, really difficult to mess up a character in the 30 seconds you are allotted for screen time.

I'm still trying to figure out why minor characters got more screen time than the Cullen family.

XD I did read all the books and I am currently reading "The host" and I also watched the film. Stephenie Meyer has a degree on english literature so let's face it she is not exactly dumb. She knows a lot of books, however the "Twilight" series are for young girls, and it's like cocaine, you read and you can't stop, but if you stop to read it again you get bored and it's crap because it has no depth, no meaning. It is an ok serial for teenagers and grown up girls. The scene of vampire that started glowing was gay, but we have to see that Stephenie Meyer is a woman and she writes like a woman, so is nearly impossible for men to enjoy her books.

I disagree with everything you just said. Except for, maybe, the part about it being for young girls.

The Man
03-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't need to see it to know that it's horrible.And I liked that Stephen King quote as well.

Twilight isn't the worst of the genre, though :pDear god, there are things actually worse than Twilight? I didn't think it was possible.

Polaris
03-29-2009, 05:26 PM
At the beginning of every books it says there that she has a degree on English literature. The problem is by having a degree doesn't mean she has a pure talent for writing, she will never gain a prize for her books that's why it's called a best-seller! Almost all best-sellers are bad (I've read a couple and well it just made me realize that people now a days are stupid). There is a book that is way much worse than twilight and it's Portuguese.... it's actually even worse than Nicholas Sparks....

I studied women literature last semester and trust me the only thing Stephenie Meyer lacks is: depth! She wrote nearly 2000 pages of a goddamn story about a vampire!

So literature now a days has to do with sell-sell-sell! No one cares if it's crap or not! It's terrible and sad but it's the truth! People just want to read and not stop to think, so if a writer wants to be successful he has to please a large quantity of people.

Boney King
03-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Stephenie Meyer is a woman and she writes like a woman, so is nearly impossible for men to enjoy her books.
So if I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that I can't enjoy any literature written by a woman because they write like women, and I'm a man so of course I hate everything a woman has ever created? That is retarded.

I don't plan on reading the books or seeing the movie, because every time I read/see something Twilight related, it basically confirms my suspicions that it's aimed at girls with immature notions of love and sex. What a waste of time.

Polaris
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Erm no, i am saying there are certain types of women in literature that write being a woman, portrait the role of women. Like in "Twilight" you read a story about a girl named Bella who falls in love with a vampire and so on... the good part of "Breaking dawn" was that we could actually see half of the action through the eyes of Jacob, but aside from that is Bella's point of view. But in "Little Women" which is a story about 5 women, it was also written by a woman and men can also understand it because it's more global. Lat semester I studied "Delta Wedding" by Eudora Welty and even though lots of people passed (also men) we got lots of headache to understand it. Something people don't understand. I only know two guys that read "Twilight" one absolutely loves it, he's obsessed with Stephenie Meyer and the other says Bella is a whore! guess who's the one that studies literature?^^"

trust me if you read "Twilight" from a woman's perspective is a lot more different. try to read it thinking you are a lone girl and you will love it

Anyway I can't seem to understand how these people get famous like this! They write a story and voilá best-sellers, money everything. People here in Portugal want to publish anything and not only have to pay but also it will be refused if the editors think it won't have success. Oh and of course you also need those damn good nepotism! The book might suck but if you're famous or someone in the family is famous you can have nearly everything you want.

scrumpleberry
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM
try to read it thinking you are a lone girl and you will love it

nope.

Heath
03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah, a friend of mine does the projecting for my university's student cinema. He resented having to do the projecting for this film. And then it was sell out so he had to do a second screening after the first. He was not impressed. I thought it was hilarious.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I've been tempted to see the film or read the books for a laugh, but I really don't think I need to do anything more than have the plot explained to me to know that it's terrible. It's a pity really because I did read a few pages of one of the books and it really wasn't very well written at all and I think it's a real shame that this is what people are reading and watching at the cinema. Granted, in people my age it's mostly been a case of swooning over Edward Cullen or whatever, but I do find it disappointing.

Boney King
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
trust me if you read "Twilight" from a woman's perspective is a lot more different. try to read it thinking you are a lone girl and you will love it

I shouldn't have to try and put myself in the mind of someone else to enjoy a book. If it's well-written, then the book should do that for me.

I get the impression that the only reason lone girls like this book is because it reads like their ultimate diary fantasy, not because it's a well-written book or whatever.

ShunNakamura
03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I am much in league with Boney King. While viewing books from different perspectives can aide in your understanding of the work and of literature of that kind in general; it should not be necessary for enjoyment of a well written book. An example is many of Miyazaki's films. They generally are enjoyable by just about anyone. As with all things you will have people who don't like it. However, the magic of good story telling is its ability to appeal to many different audiences all at once.

Then you also have the technical aspect, which I hear is a bit simple in Twilight. Personally simple writing usually doesn't bother me. Anyways from what I have seen and heard of it, it seems that Stephen King has done well in summarizing it.

in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet

If I ever get a good many hours to spare on something that there is a good chance I will find un-enjoyable I may take the time to read it just so that I can make a more informed analysis. And besides I am a helpless romantic so it might just appeal to me. Not likely, but it could happen. In addition I have a VERY wide reading range(I was praised with being able to enjoy practically any well written book). I like romance novels(I just don't like all the garbage that takes up valuable shelf space that could go to better books), I like Westerns, I like Sci-Fi, I like Fantasy, I like historical Fiction, I have enjoyed Christian Fiction, etc, etc, etc, etc. Likely though, I won't get around to it since I have a very large number of books/manga/anime that look much more entertaining on my to read/watch list.

Renmiri
03-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a woman and think those books are awful :p

Miriel
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I've read all the books, and really, they're not horrible. Sure, some parts of it are just awful (Renesemee, anyone?) but collectively, the books are fairly engaging in a soap opera sort of way.

But when I say that the film was horrible, I mean that it was horrible on EVERY level. I don't think I've ever seen a film with such horrible editing. Any film student in Editing 101 could have done a better job in my opinion. The cinematography was just silly. The acting and dialogue was uncomfortably bad. To the point where I just couldn't watch parts of it, I was cringing too much. The director should have been super ashamed of what she had produced.

The plot itself was the least of the film's problems.

Buffy the Vampire slayer was able to tell an equally silly on paper story (human/vampire lurrrrve), but managed to do it with depth and gravitas. But Buffy had the benefit of a gifted writer/director and actors who could... well, you know, act. Just cause it was a vampire love story didn't mean that it had to be absurdly silly and unconvincing. You have the whole cast and crew of the Twilight film to thank for that. Meyers only deserves a small portion of the blame for that epic failure.

Jessweeee♪
03-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Too many close-ups :|

Marshall Banana
03-30-2009, 09:30 AM
I just finished watching Twinkle Twilight.

It really is awkward, but I think the baseball sequence is the funniest part. Regardless, I swooned, because Edward is adorable.

I don't understand why he sparkles in sunlight, though.

Bunny
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM

BECAUSE VAMPIRES ARE MADE OF DIAMONDS

Marshall Banana
03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm jealous of Bella's flying piggyback rides on Edward!

I wish that Necronopticous could fly. =(

The Man
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM

BECAUSE VAMPIRES ARE MADE OF DIAMONDS

Meyer actually had a quasi-scientific explanation for this and it was horrible. When I'm less lazy I'll see if I can find it again.

Laddy
03-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Say it! Say it LOUDER!!!

They suck. They are poorly written/directed andit's plain stupid. Edward Cullen has the personality of a McNugget and it's dumb.

For example, how can a vampire have a child when he dosen't have the blood flow to have sex?

Jessweeee♪
03-31-2009, 03:12 AM
Twilight isn't the worst of the genre, though :pDear god, there are things actually worse than Twilight? I didn't think it was possible.

Make a trip to the Young Adult section of your local library! Blue Bloods, if you want another bad vampire series :p

...or Marked.

The Man
03-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Wow, I don't think I really want to know. :(

Bunny
03-31-2009, 04:49 AM
For example, how can a vampire have a child when he dosen't have the blood flow to have sex?

Nothing in the vampire mythos directly refers to or explains this. It's just one of those things that happens.

Regardless, the entire thing happened because the author was Mormon.

Crimson
03-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Anyone else glad that Underword Rise Of The Lycans came out not long after this? Show those idiots how a a film with Vampires should be done.

Bunny
03-31-2009, 05:34 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA