PDA

View Full Version : Anthology and Origins.

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2009, 10:11 AM
OK. What are these games? I looked around and found that Origins is 1 and 2, and Anthology is 5 and 6, right? So, is it something weird or is it literally "Here's a simple way to play some of the original games. These are exactly the same as the originals. We haven't buggered around and changed everything to make completely different games"?

I'm just curious, because I plan on getting all FFs playable on the PS2, and I don't wanna waste my time if these games aren't part of the actual series.

Also, 3 and 4? What I gotta do to play these games?

Rantz
03-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Origins is I and II with updated graphics (http://images.google.com/images?q=final+fantasy+origins&hl=en) and I'm pretty sure they're retranslated as well, and there's a few extras added in. There are probably more changes but I'd say those are the major ones.

Anthology has V and VI in the NTSC edition, but IV and V in the PAL edition. I don't have Anthology myself, so Wikipedia to the rescue:

Although all three games differ little from the original Japanese versions in terms of gameplay, graphics, and sound, a number of extras were added, including art galleries, bestiaries, and two full motion video opening and ending sequences not present in the original releases.

As for Final Fantasy III, I don't think there's an easy way to get it on your PS2. Basically, emulate it or get a DS. Or get a DS and emulate it. ;)

Following the failure of the effort to remake the game for the WonderSwan Color, and Square's merger with former competitor Enix to form Square Enix in 2003, the company posted assurance that the game's promised remake would not be completely forgotten, and there was speculation that it might find its way to Sony's PlayStation or Nintendo's Game Boy Advance as its predecessors had. Square Enix considered porting the game to the PlayStation 2, but was eventually convinced by Nintendo to develop the title for their new handheld system, the Nintendo DS, a decision that would later be positively reinforced by the commercial success of the Nintendo DS. The Final Fantasy III remake was first announced to be in development on 2004-10-07, but detailed information did not emerge until a year later. Hiromichi Tanaka headed the project as both the executive producer and director. His guidance and supervision were needed because the remake was not a mere graphical update as Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II's remakes were, but a total overhaul using the Nintendo DS's 3D capabilities. Along with 3D graphics, a full motion video opening scene was produced for the game, similar to those found in the ports of the 2D Final Fantasy games for the PlayStation.

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Groovy. I'll buy them both. :)

I figured I'd have to do that with 3. Anyone got any comments on the DS version? How much like the original is it? Having said that, it depends on the price of a DS (which I'd have to buy). I can actually get a NES and 3 for about £100. xD

Saber
03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Final Fantasy 1&2 - origins -ps1
Final Fantasy 3 - DS
Final Fantasy 4 & Chono Cross - Chronicals -ps1
Final Fantasy 5&6 - Anthology - ps1
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 - Seperate games - ps1
Final Fantasy 10, 12 - Ps2
Final Fantasy 11 - pc, ps2, xbox

So pretty much you can get FF1,2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and play them on your ps2. I played the originals and have to say not much was changed during storyline. They just have bo bonus feathers.

hhr1dluv
03-30-2009, 01:17 AM
^ Quin, your saying that you're going to get an SNES and 3 has me concerned that you're confusing FF III with FF VI. FF III can only be emulated (for original NES version) or played on the DS.

Also, to Sora, I thought Chronicles was FF IV and Chrono Trigger.

Elly
03-30-2009, 03:25 AM
yup you also need Chronicles for FFIV... don't worry bout playing the copy of CT that comes with it as it's load times are horrible, the SNES & DS versions are better... and if you get a DS for FFIII might as well get Chrono Trigger as well, heck get the FFIV(DS) Remake while you're at it... know what just forget Chronicles, lol...

Saber
03-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Also, to Sora, I thought Chronicles was FF IV and Chrono Trigger.

right you are, my mistake

Marky Tee
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
got both and are amazin
tho still havent completed 2 or 5...just not as interestin as the other games

Quindiana Jones
04-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Got Origins and Anthology PAL a while ago. Bought DS and 3. 6, 8 and the 10s left to buy. :)

Cheers for the help, all.

beema
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Can anyone comment on Dawn of Souls vs. Origins?

I have access to a DS (which can also play GBA games) so I figured I would go with Dawn of Souls. But if it's much crappier I might not.

I know the remakes for the PSP are better, but I'm not going to get a PSP probably ever so I'm not taking that into consideration.

Also, how different is the IV remake for DS?
I've only ever played through the US version (named II) on SNES. Will playing this new remake totally throw off my memories and nostalgia?

Elly
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
FFIV(DS) will be much harder since the U.S. SNES version is "Easy Type" and the DS version goes back to the original "Hard Type" as far as overall difficulty goes... i've seen some complaints on the Voice Over work for DS but i personaly liked it so if you're not a VO Snob then you won't have any problems with that, and it may even throw the nastalgia into overdrive...

beema
04-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I think I might qualify as a "VO snob." Bad voice-overs have ruined many a game for me. I feel like the dialouge in most older RPG's would sound completely retarded if spoken aloud, no matter who did them though.