PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Aspects of FFVII

Heath
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
(Probably) For the Troll Competition

I've always been a fan of the really deep character development involved in some of the supporting cast like Reeve and Dio. I think it's great that the developers took advantage of the 'buy one, get 700 free' offer that was clearly on when they were picking characters out of the "oh no I've got a really dark mysterious past involving PAIN" (bargain) bin. Way to go, guys. Throw in the characters that even Dragonball Z and Clayfighter 63 1/3 wouldn't touch because they were too rancid and having been spawned from the diseased udder of the intellectual equals of Pamela Anderson.

The graphics are bloody great too. Given the characters are aimed at six year olds, I thought it was really good how they designed the characters to look like Naruto crossed with Lego. Is that a polygon in your hair or are you just pleased to see me, Cloud? Pleased to see me, a guy, because clearly Cloud along with 99% of the rest of the cast are homosexual. That 1% being Don Corneo who is clearly a Freudian metaphor for the problems of society, which is exactly the kind of 'I've had two Psychology lessons and half a lesson of Creative Writing at a liberal arts college' train of thought that the developers were high-fiving themselves over. Oh, and Corneo's gay too. I mean, the entire game is just the developers projecting their own fantasies into a computer game. Though 'game' is a misleading term, as it suggests that it's enjoyable. 'Sister Ray' - Yeah, no prizes for guessing what the developers had in mind when they designed that. I bet you felt really inadequate when you saw the Midgar Zolom.

But the music's good, isn't it? Especially if you fancy a change from listening to Limp Bizkit, Sum 41 or My Chemical Romance. Katy Perry seeming a bit highbrow for you? Why not dip into this games' music? Roll over, Beethoven. Take a hike, Handel. Back away, Bach. You're for the chop, Chopin. Nobuo Uematsu and his masterpiece 'one winged angel' is in town. Let's throw in a chorus, that makes it deep and meaningful. Just look at the Duel of the Fates. That really made The Phantom Menace a good film, right? And that's what FFVII is, The Phantom Menace of RPGs. I mean, I have some sympathy for Uematsu. You know, he knows his audience, which is a bunch of idiots who think that Beethoven is a dog, that Pink Floyd is a type of alcopop and that Electric Light Orchestra is a subsidiary of Bed, Bath and Beyond.

You know, I was going to talk about the :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty plot too, but I really can't be bothered. Why are you still talking about this game? Why does anyone even care? Get a life, for God's sake and take an interest in something other than RPGs. Go play some sports or get an interest in politics or something.

Oh, and having a 'Obama-Biden' t-shirt that you wear on your way to your Anime Convention because your mum wouldn't let you go out dressed as Vincent 'I like Bullet for my' Valentine doesn't count.

So what's your favourite aspect of this pathetic excuse for a game?

Quindiana Jones
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I like the big swords. :bigsmile:

I Don't Need A Name
03-29-2009, 07:35 PM
being able to turn off the poor excuse for a game, and throw it in the bin

Meat Puppet
03-30-2009, 12:03 AM
I was thinking what my favorite part of the game was, when I suddenly realized that Squall is Cloud’s father.

Moon Rabbits
03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
The only thing about FFVII that ever really interested me was JENOVA.

Del Murder
03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Some of us like legos.

Depression Moon
03-30-2009, 12:50 AM
I don't where the hell you got some of the stuff like good graphics and everyone, but Cloud and Corneo are homosexuals. I forgot who Dio was, was he significant?

The only thing I liked about the game was the disaster opening where you first woke up as Tifa and the travel inside Cloud's mind. The battles were okay. That's about all the game did for me.

Momiji
03-30-2009, 02:47 AM
The overworld theme was freaking fantastic. Easily my favorite Final Fantasy song ever.

The rest of the game is :bou::bou::bou::bou: tbqf

Negative
03-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I actually really liked the materia system.

And....I LOVED the story

Elly
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
yup, the materia system is still unrivaled to this day, best system yet, the limit system was good also but X did it better by allowing you to choose under which conditions the limit bar filled... the story is also excelent, but to fully grasp it you need to read, play, & watch every installment, including games, movies, books, & Ultimanias, the FF VII 10th Aniversary Ultimania really puts the whole plotline into perspective... it also requires an open mind to realize this is actualy a story involving multiple perspectives, and no other installments really hurt the validity of the original game, they're just different points of view...

Heath
03-31-2009, 12:11 AM
(Still be trollin')

Sorry, guys. Was a bit busy not having my brain cells smother themselves to read all your posts. Posts #2, #3, #6 - rearrange the following because of your :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty censor: lt;rd

JENOVA was the biggest cop-out ever. How long did they spend making this game? 2 years? Was that 17 months, feet up on desks playing Solitaire and 1 month thinking "hang on, we need a twist at the end of the game. How about Sephiroth isn't Sephiroth?" They should've made JENOVA turn out to be Cait Sith or Gore Vidal. That would've been a better twist.

The materia system was a stupid. It's so open to abuse that by the end of disc one, you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. The stat downgrades as a result of magic are so immaterial that it makes no difference at all if you fill up Cloud with magic materia because he'll still do good damage. The game is too easy, plain simple and the game offers no real consequences for you just doing whatever.

And having to use the ultimania and look at the books and stuff is just a cop-out. A lot of it is just stuff they tacked on to make shedloads of money. It's as if Square were doing experiments to see how many different forms of tripe they could sell. The fact that I managed to sit through Advent Children without locking myself in a disused fridge, with only a copy of The Old Man and the Sea for company, strikes me as the pinnacle of my pain threshold and my ability to resist even the highest of temptations. If it's part of the story, then put it in the smurfing game. I don't want to have to buy other crap just so I can understand one story. It's as if the story was written by Stephanie Meyers.

Oh, and as far as I was aware the "disaster opening" is the start of disc one when you start a new game and you realise that what you're playing isn't Tomb Raider 2, which is an infinitesimally better game.

Zaskull
03-31-2009, 12:53 AM
The materia system was a stupid.
:confused:

So, by FFVII being my favorite in the series, what have I done wrong? Why can't you let people like the games that they want?

Rantz
03-31-2009, 01:00 AM
People can like any games they want, just as long as they're not pieces of :bou::bou::bou::bou: like this waste of game shelf space.

GrantTrainer
03-31-2009, 01:38 AM
wow iv never heard so much slander towards this game in my life?! its actually a refreshing change of scenery and dialect.

No offence but do you spend quite the time writing out your posts and using these on going 'custom quotations' ? i like it to an extent. i just feel your trying to live up to your reputation whatever that may-be from previous post throughout the forum (and no im not having a go or being a cockend fudgepacker) curious is all..?

but Hatred towards this game? fair enough opinions are a sacred thing and cause conflict between many lol but i mean i dont know how u can say is a waste of game and shelf space? fair play i didnt think much of the materia system i prefered 8 and 9 to be fair on that sense, a little more straight forward and navigational, but the story was good! involving, and deep!

Jessweeee♪
04-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I wish my legos looked like FFVII :(

The Man
04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -

whoa, I didn't even know that censor was there. Go figure.

awesome thread :monster:

Heath
04-04-2009, 01:08 PM
(Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if there was a FFVII trolling competition so I could get away with posts like this?)

The materia system was a stupid.
:confused:

So, by FFVII being my favorite in the series, what have I done wrong? Why can't you let people like the games that they want?

What have you done wrong? Firstly by buying the game you're encouraging Square to continue making this stuff. There was that tech demo for the PS3 a couple of years ago showing the FFVII opening all done up and nice and it's only a matter of time before they do the whole game this way, because it's a cash cow. Look at all the FFVII related crap they've brought out and made loads of money off? It's just exploiting the mass of idiots that continue to buy this stuff? There are better games out there and by this stuff being popular it just encourages them to rehash FFVII rather than making a new Chrono game. And I, for one, am sick of it and on the edge of my seat awaiting a signal to start a proletarian revolution against Square for being such cold hearted capitalists.

GrantTrainer: Woah, why you be trippin' on my rep, ho? Do you even know who you be dissin'? I be the EoFF badboi, comin' at you from the Final Fantasy VII forum. I is mixin' mad rhymes and servin' you some perspective pie motherfuckers.

Zaskull
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2uikei1.jpg

nexivdr
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I like FF7 because its a very deep game, there are tons of sites out there they found tons of cool little facts by going through the game data with different programs. to me that is very interesting.

Rain The Unknown
04-29-2009, 02:32 AM
lets see there is alot to love about this game seeing as it was one of the first 3d games to come out on the ps...it had an amazing story but i think my fav part is when cloud tells the story of when sephiroth gose crazy and u go into this battle with a dragon and of course cloud is a panzy and get destroyed in one hit but sephiroth just juns up and with one hit kills it i always thought that was a cool

RedPouch
04-29-2009, 02:59 AM
and of course cloud is a panzy and get destroyed in one hit but sephiroth just juns up and with one hit kills it i always thought that was a cool
Then we end up realizing that Cloud owned Sephiroth in that period when he subdued him, ultimately making him fall to his "death" in the lifestream. It was only because of Jenova actually taking a liking to Sephiroth [for his craziness?] that she decided to save him.

Anyways, I don't really see the point in all the silly troll attempts, but trolling is best done when it's more subtle in my opinion. FF VII wasn't that bad to begin with. Granted, it certainly wasn't my favourite FF by any means [I think everyone here already knows all of my chief complaints about this thing], but I still think there are worse things out there. I don't really see the point in trolling the graphics of the game, considering this was in the early playstation era. Also, if Cloud were homosexual then I'd like him a lot more. :love:

Momiji
04-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Anyways, I don't really see the point in all the silly troll attempts, but trolling is best done when it's more subtle in my opinion. FF VII wasn't that bad to begin with.

1) This was Heath's thread for the FFVII Troll Competition, that's why.
2) Yes, trolling is better when subtle, which is why I almost dropped out of the competition. :p
3) Soundtrack aside, yes it was. :D

RedPouch
04-29-2009, 04:27 AM
1) This was Heath's thread for the FFVII Troll Competition, that's why.
Yeah I know that, but I just meant that I don't see the point in some of the overly-obvious trolling.

3) Soundtrack aside, yes it was. :D
Haha, I actually didn't like the soundtrack very much, though there are some musics I like to keep on my Winamp list [I love Anxious Heart!]. Most of you have probably seen me go on and on with how much I hate about FF VII [poor characterization, excessive annoying mini-games, excessive ridiculous/unnecessary information, lack of crucial information due to censoring/poor translation/etc. I could actually go on for quite a long time talking about everything I hated in FF VII], and most people probably think I detest the game. Still, I think it had enough positive to make it enjoyable. There are certainly worse games out there that deserve such contempt for sure.

Momiji
04-29-2009, 05:39 AM
The soundtrack was the *only* aspect of the game I enjoyed. The overworld theme is my favorite song from the entire Final Fantasy series, actually.

It's the irritating characters, plot holes, lame spin-offs, fanbase, and incredibly poor localization that ruined the game for me.

RedPouch
04-29-2009, 05:51 AM
It's the irritating characters, plot holes, lame spin-offs, fanbase, and incredibly poor localization that ruined the game for me.
Although I still enjoyed the game, I can't say I disagree with you on any of these issues that you mentioned, especially the spin-offs and the fanbase. There are certainly better FF's out there that didn't get such a fanbase, unfortunately.

Nice
05-25-2009, 01:38 AM
This game had a good story (coperate control, capitalist greed, other convaluted issues). Cid and Barret are what defined the game's boldness - one guy who pretty much heckles the hell out of his female assistant for her accident and the other a racial stereotype. Damn. MMM Spehy's kickass attitude, especially his one hit kills in Cloud's distorted memories.

What I didn't like are all the crappy spinoffs (but that's for a different thread).

Golden Warrior
05-25-2009, 03:32 AM
FF7 is not my favorite FF game, but it's still a good one IMO. The materia system was pretty good as was the sound track. I also like story though Sepheroth would've been better if he wasn't made out to be such a "moma's boy". IMO it would've been better if he was just corrupted by Jenova or something rather than going on about how he wants to make his "mother" happy.

Markus. D
05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
I liked the Materia system and I adore a majority of the OST.

[B

oveja
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I love the Soundtrack, The Story and the Materia system because it let's you be creative (yes overpowered also), chocobo racing, and the use of limits even if it was yet to be pulished, they were great.
I also love how the game has attitude and is open to exploration.
There are so many things to acomplish and aquire at the sidequests which have a perfect difficulty level so that you don't get bored and get rewareded with awesome stuff :D