PDA

View Full Version : What will be the new WoW?

Aydin
03-30-2009, 08:39 AM
We all know that WoW is one of the most popular MMORPGs out there but it is also reducing in popularity. (Slowly but surely)

What do you think will become the next big MMORPG?

Bunny
03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
It's reducing in popularity? Since when?

Loony BoB
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Next big thing: WoW II

Momiji
03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
You'll be able to go to level 100 eventually.

Fonzie
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
It's reducing in popularity? Since when?

This, and thanks for the article proving this, brah.

Madame Adequate
03-30-2009, 02:33 PM
WoW keeps hitting new milestones as far as I've heard.

Galaxy of Starcraft.

Loony BoB
03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart5.html

Not fantastically up to date, but these statistics never are when you have to compare so many different games. Either way I'd say it's, er, still pretty much right up there. For more info, clickity (http://www.mmogchart.com/charts/).

Iceglow
03-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Funny! When I was working on behalf of Blizzard at the UK World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King launch night I ended up chatting/flirting with some women who worked for Blizzard's accounts and subscriptions dept. I got a slightly more "up to date" or accurate figure than the charts BoB just posted. Around 13,000,000 active accounts at the time of the launch over 18,000,000 registered. They expected Wrath of the Lich King to increase those figures to around 25,000,000 registered and 18,000,000 active subscriptions. I'd say it's working for them. (yes I asked for 1% of those takings to be funnelled in to my bank account, even offered to have a WoW tattoo and play nothing but for 1% of those figures) Theres another pack in the works and theres the whole idea that they can re-develop the WoW engine (though the beauty of this is the low power requirement which allows even more people to play) to make WoW 2. Unfortunately for some people's point of view...theres not much sign of WoW going away any time soon.

Psychotic
03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Next big thing: WoW II
Galaxy of Starcraft.These two men know the score. Whichever route Blizzard chooses to take. Not that it'll happen any time soon.

Bunny
03-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Starwarcraft.

Loony BoB
03-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Not that it'll happen any time soon.
Seriously - as long as they have over half of the MMORPG market they will milk the suckers for all they're worth. Why bother spending so much money on a replacement when you can spend half that amount to come up with an extension to something already there and still end up with just as much money in the bank?

Rantz
03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks! Let's play it on Wifi! http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6452/zelda014.gif

McLovin'
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow has been made very easy for noobs so that they can all do good in arena and all raid the bosses and all get the loot in the end. Nothing separates noobs from the pros in the game anymore except for mounts and titles which still a lot of people can have (even from the hard achievements).

And Arena popularity has gone down 60% (from an article I cba to find).

Most people find themselves raiding once a week and then not logging on at all till the next reset.

Bunny
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow has been made very easy for noobs so that they can all do good in arena and all raid the bosses and all get the loot in the end. Nothing separates noobs from the pros in the game anymore except for mounts and titles which still a lot of people can have (even from the hard achievements).

Lol no. Raiding is easy, yeah. But arenas are still fairly difficult to be good at. Popularity has gone down because most people were trying it out and the system is currently broken.

Jowy
03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm so burnt out on 10 mans and heroics that nobody wants to fucking run anymore. Once the next content patch hits, I'm sure i'll get more enjoyment out of the game, but until that happens I know I won't be logged in as frequently.

Sartharion 3D 10 man is serious business.

Bunny
03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

Wolf Kanno
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Whenever Nintendo comes to the realization they can make a MMO with the Pokemon license...

Course their too busy making Mario Party 29, Cooking Mama in Space and Wii Sports Redux to get to that level of business anytime soon. Not to mention their complete paranoia concerning online anything...

Bunny
03-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Nintendo doesn't have the chops to make an MMO that would dethrone WoW. They're focus is elsewhere.

Big D
03-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Next big thing in MMORPGs?

Yahtzee's "force feedback codpiece". It'd render geeks extinct, which is probably a mixed blessing overall.

Markus. D
03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
It will either be Aion or Diablo III's battle.net.

captkrill
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
WoW sucked graphically compared to other MMOs out at that time...

Personally I hated WoW, I prefer to play CoV Guildwars WAR or Diablo 2 (yes its not a MMO but still fun)

I go off of story then eye candy.

Araciel
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
I would like to say the KOTOR mmo, but it won't come close.

Ouch!
03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
I would like to say the KOTOR mmo, but it won't come close.
It's got a bigger fanbase to pull from, but I can't imagine Bioware creating something so user-friendly as WoW--which is by comparison a fairly easy MMORPG--and so it won't get the casual population that WoW does.

Araciel
03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
True, I suppose it's better that way in any event...less eight year old Jedi trying to kill me.

McLovin'
04-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Lol no. Raiding is easy, yeah. But arenas are still fairly difficult to be good at. Popularity has gone down because most people were trying it out and the system is currently broken.

Yes, burst is skill I forgot.

Purcifur
04-01-2009, 07:17 PM
uhhh i think blizzard will kill its own game to be honest. i personally quit wow and now i'm just waiting for diablo 3. or star craft 2. sadly most other mmo releases lately are just toned down versions of wow, or buggy versions of it, or just out irritating versions of it. lol either someone will have to come out with something new, or blizz will just make a better game to keep their millions of players.
sadly it seems like wow got worse with each addition they try to put in. or each time they try to balance out classes. also i noticed that everything got too good too fast. next expansion (if there is one) people will have 100 000 health easy. which is ridiculous. hopefully they learned to plan ahead for next time. blizz isn't dumb or anything, they just had their first mmo. and they did an EXCELLENT job (being an ex wow nerd myself.) but i think it's time to start from scratch with a couple fresh ideas, and better planning.
cause to me.. molten core seemed way more epic than illidan.

Bunny
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Wow has been made very easy for noobs so that they can all do good in arena and all raid the bosses and all get the loot in the end. Nothing separates noobs from the pros in the game anymore except for mounts and titles which still a lot of people can have (even from the hard achievements).Lol no. Raiding is easy, yeah. But arenas are still fairly difficult to be good at. Popularity has gone down because most people were trying it out and the system is currently broken.

Yes, burst is skill I forgot.

What's your arena rating?

McLovin'
04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Season 2: 2k Warr/sham

Didn't play s3 and s4.

Got only up to 1700 in s5. Lost interest. To be good as a shaman takes skill but not a bursty Rogue, DK or Ret pally. Not Mages because on their own they are fine really.

Madame Adequate
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
WoW sucked graphically compared to other MMOs out at that time...

Personally I hated WoW, I prefer to play CoV Guildwars WAR or Diablo 2 (yes its not a MMO but still fun)

I go off of story then eye candy.

WoW's lesser graphics are part of the key to its success. You don't need an uber Crysis-killing machine to play it; sure, some people dislike the stylistic choices, but I do think they disguise it well, and it all fits with WCIII.

As for story, Christ, what are you doing playing MMOs? :p

Markus. D
04-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I feel WoW has an especially more entrancing atmosphere than most other MMORPGs too.

blim
04-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Hmm think i'll stick to Lotro, nice graphics, good storyline and reasonably mature community.