PDA

View Full Version : Major Desicion

Shiny
03-31-2009, 03:00 AM
I'm having a tough time deciding my on my major. Right now, my concentration is film and I'm taking courses with a little bit of everything; visual editing, sound mixing, lighting, cinematography, directing and screenwriting. Along with some Humanities and Literature courses. Next year I have to take some Science, Mathematics and more Humanities. In addition to that, I need to decide my specific concentration for the next three years.

The general choices are: directing, screenwriting, editing and cinematography. I've managed to narrow down my choices to the first three. I'm torn because I love writing and creating stories. Yet, at the same time I love adapting them to screen visually. I'm also very patient and like to reclusive at times so editing feels very natural to me. On the other hand, I like working with actors and being in control of the overall look of a given story. It's a toughie. Any suggestions?

Note: I can't do double majors.

Bunny
03-31-2009, 03:13 AM
Editing would probably be the best way to break into the business if you are serious about doing so. Directing and screenwriting are incredibly difficult to make it in as they are highly competitive fields and more dog-eat-dog than editing would be, which you could most assuredly find a place to be.

Ultimately, you could still direct and do some screenwriting without having much of an educational background. A lot would make it easier, but I do not believe it is an absolute requirement.

Momiji
03-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Normally I'd say try dabbling in all three to see whichever feels best, but I'm going to agree with Bunny here. Editing sounds like the best way to start.

Shoeberto
03-31-2009, 04:30 AM
I think Bunny said it best. Commercially, editing is probably your best option, just because it can take a huge team of editors to do a project but only a few directors and writers. As far as writing goes, you don't really need a ton of courses to be able to do it if you understand principles of it (revisions, peer reviews, etc.)

For the most part, what I've read about breaking out in the industry on your own as a writer/director/editor isn't so much what you know as it is who you know. So taking the best insertion point and running with it would be a great jumping point to be able to do your own thing, imo.

Shiny
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
I agree with all that's been said and have actually being looking at the matter in that way. After mulling it all over, I think majoring in editing would be the best choice. If possible, maybe I can add some interesting courses from screenwriting, or directing in. As far as networking goes, I completely concur with the notion that the film industry is predominantly centered around "who you know"; which is why I'm planning on doing more internships and volunteering for people's productions. I'm usually just a production assistant, but you gotta start some where. Thanks, guys. :mog:

Rantz
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
You could always tell people you know me. I know a guy who owns a video camera!

Yar
03-31-2009, 09:42 PM
You could always tell people you know me. I know a guy who owns a video camera!:Eek: You know that guy!?

Shiny
04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
That guy who knows that guy who knows that guy who is second-cousin's with Steven Spielberg.

I'm all set! Got registered for classes today. Along with editing courses like Pro Tools, Avid and Advanced Final Cut Pro, I'm taking some Psychology, Literature, Art/Cinema history and History courses. Saving the Math and Science for another year...