PDA

View Full Version : Things I don't Get

Forsaken Lover
04-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Okay so I was just sitting here and suddenly two questions popped into my mind about the story of FFX.

1. Summoners go to Bevelle Temple or whatever.Don't they see all the machina that the party saw? Why isn't there some kind of uproar?

2. The party stumbled upon the Fayth Cluster on Gagazet. They didn't go out of their way or anything. Now while few make it that far, I don't get how no Summoner or Guardian ever mentioned there were a ton of Fayth all summoning "something". Didn't it intrigue them at all?

Big D
04-05-2009, 01:28 AM
I guess the Bevelle Temple gets chalked up as a 'trial', of sorts - confronting the kind of technology that's normally forbidden. And since select machina are allowed, I suppose it's conceivable that the temple's infrastructure is included. After all, Bevelle was part of the ancient war with Zanarkand, so it's continued to exist during the intervening thousand years - rather than being destroyed like the other technological centres.

As for the Fayth cluster... from the flashbacks to Jecht, Braska, and Auron, it seems clear that they knew what was going on, so other Summoners would have too. Every summoner who died fighting Sin knew that they'd become the beast, but still died in the hopes of changing things, or maybe just securing a few years of peace. I'd say they all knew what Sin was, and what the Fayth Cluster represented too.

Tavrobel
04-05-2009, 03:16 AM
1. Summoners go to Bevelle Temple or whatever. Don't they see all the machina that the party saw? Why isn't there some kind of uproar?

2. The party stumbled upon the Fayth Cluster on Gagazet. They didn't go out of their way or anything. Now while few make it that far, I don't get how no Summoner or Guardian ever mentioned there were a ton of Fayth all summoning "something". Didn't it intrigue them at all?

Well, if you don't consider the machina that were present because of the wedding, then all that's really inside of the cloister and around it is mechanical levers, pulleys, and roll-a-cop mall scooters. That's not hurting anyone, so there's no reason for people to freak out about it (or for Sin to attack, for that matter). Some machina are allowed, as long as it doesn't affect technological development or is only for mass entertainment (e.g., Blitzball stadium gear).

It probably did, but most of them at that point probably knew what it meant, just as Big D said. There was no need to tell everyone else, because even if the Summoners did go back to tell the truth to people, it wouldn't matter. To get to Gagazet and come back would imply some form of mission failure, and from what can be told, if you were good enough to get to Gagazet, you were essentially a dead person. Dead people don't tell tales.

Forsaken Lover
04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Well from what I remember, the devices in the temple were some kind of locks or mechanisms that Rikku fiddled with to get to the Cloister or something.
And considering how Wakka reacted, and Auron's remark of "they betray their own teachings", it had to be pretty bad.

As for the Fayth Cluster, I really don't think anyone knew what was going on. Braska said point blank that he thought there was a chance Sin wouldn't come back...yet Yunalesca tells the party flatout that it will always come back. So obviouslY Braska and the other summoners didn't know this detail.

And the Cluster existed to summon Dream Zanarkand I thought. I just wondered if Auron or anyone else knew that.