PDA

View Full Version : ER-tastic?

Freya
04-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Had to go to the ER today, couldn't breathe. My LJ has details if you wanna know what happended.

ANYWAY: Have you ever had to go to the ER before and for what? How long was your wait etc etc.

I was in there for like 5-6 hours :/

Bunny
04-07-2009, 05:20 AM
When I was younger, I fell off the top bunk of my bed onto a mess of toys and whatnot. I thought I broke a rib or two because it really hurt to move even slightly. My mother took me to the ER but everything was fine.

qwertysaur
04-07-2009, 05:23 AM
The ER and my family... interesting stories.
Me: I cut my head open on a toy truck at the age of 1...
My sister: She dropped a table on her foot, and it was kinda crushed...
My Mom: She was pregnant with me...
My Dad: Had to go in for Brain Surgery after having a seizure...

Momiji
04-07-2009, 05:25 AM
I was only taken to the emergency room once, and that's when I broke my toe when I was 10-ish.

My brother, however, has been taken to the emergency room multiple times. The most notable ones would be when we were in Florida, and he tripped at Halifax Mall, and hit his head against the corner of a wall. We went to the emergency room there, where I remember being yelled at 'GET OUT OF THE WAY, THIS OLD LADY IS BLEEDING RECTALLY!'. I was only like...9 years old then. My brother was 1 or 2. '

Another time was when we were out in the country visiting my grandmother, when my brother tripped yet again and busted his head open, and we had to drive like an hour to get to the closest medical center. Not an emergency room, but it was definitely one of the more uncomfortable sights in my life. I've never seen that much blood before.

rubah
04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
I've been to the ER twice; once for having a wire stuck in my foot and once for having a rather severe staph infection xD

btw, 90% oxygen is pretty bad. That's what mine was when I had pneumonia. I want to say it's like being two miles above sea level :X

Yar
04-07-2009, 05:43 AM
ER just ended Thursday. :(

I'VE BEEN TO THE ER 5 TIMES. Three times I was too young to remember.

Episode I: My grandmother dropped me on my head in the Kroger parking lot. She was afraid I was ruined.

Episode II: I was in a car accident when I was young. It must have been precautionary, because I'm fine today.

Episode III: As a toddler, my mom was holding my hand and we were walking in a crowded place. I was being stubborn and tried to either go the other way or no way at all and she pulled my shoulder out of place.

Episode IV: I BROKE MY ARM LOL

Episode V: Asthma attack oh noes!

EDIT: OPPS forgot one. I had blood poisoning once and they threatened (jokingly) to amputate and everyone was laughing but me. :(

Vermachtnis
04-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Once, when I was little I stepped on a rusty nail. I had to get tectnis shot. I don't remember a whole lot, but ever since then I've a phobia of needles and nail like stuff. Also I have no idea how to spell tectnis and neither does FireFox.

Værn
04-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Also I have no idea how to spell tectnis and neither does FireFox.
Tetanus, methinks. Or you could just say "lockjaw" to avoid having to spell it altogether.

And nope, I've never been to the ER.

Vermachtnis
04-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Also I have no idea how to spell tectnis and neither does FireFox.
Tetanus, methinks. Or you could just say "lockjaw" to avoid having to spell it altogether.

And nope, I've never been to the ER.

What is an "A" doing in there!? I'm just gonna call lockjaw from now on.

Jiro
04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't think I've ever been to the ER. Well, that time I had an allergic reaction to an injection, but that was before I could remember.

My brother went when he crashed his dirtbike and fractured his upper arm, shoulder and collarbone. My mum went when she was having heart problems :cry:

He didn't go when I tossed a massive rock at him and split his head open (I was 6, he was 4). I didn't go when I greenstick fractured my arm, or when I had concussion.

Overall we avoid the ER by managing to stay relatively safe :D

EDIT: I also did not go to the ER when I cut my face on a desk fan. There was no cover on it, and I leant to change it and cut along my right eyebrow. Yay for almost losing an eye D:

Freya
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
LET'S SEE....

When I was 6-7ish I fell off a horse, had to get and MRI.

When I was 10 I broke my arm.

11 My bus crashed and they made me go since I hit my head.

14 when a girl fractured my nose o.o

17 when I got a horrible rash and allergic reaction.

17 when I rolled a truck

17 when I had major back problems.. which they never fixed -.-

18, went to the doctor in Jan for this thing, then again in Feb, they didn't fix me.

18 went to the ER when it finally hit me hard for this not breathing thing due to my nurse here at the college being like "OHMIGAWD" and sending me there.

Yeah they were all "you're oxygen levels are low... were gonna look at you." I'm like "Don't I need oxygen to breathe!?"

I should be sleeping, but I had a fever and it woke me up :/

EDIT: they should just build a wing for me o.o

Iceglow
04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I've been to the ER or Casualty as we call it many times for many reasons the worst one was when I went in via ambulance with a shattered jaw and still had to wait 4 - 5 hours in the normal waiting room bleeding out from the mouth. Then had to wait an hour or so for an X-ray and the Xray attendant had the audacity to complain "oh they sent you here still bleeding, they should have waited til it stopped!" Excuuuuussse me! but ya know shattered jaw, in lots of smurfing pain, not been given any morphine or anything yet and I'm expected to "bite" your smurfing plastic stick? And you're complaining I'm bleeding? I am barely smurfing concious here I've bled so much!

There was one time when after a successful pub crawl round Camden Town I went to the hospital having passed out in the night bus home. I ended up with 2 numbers and a date and a relationship. 1 was a Casualty Dr, she was cute but I only went for breakfast with her and txted a few times she was unfortunately too old for me at that point (30 when I was 18), the other was a girl who I honestly didn't remember but she pretty much carried me unconcious off the night bus, called the ambulance and went to the hospital with me to make sure I got there ok.

trancekuja
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Only once. I broke my left arm. My bones were sticking out and I lost gallons of blood. In ER two doctors were operating on my arm while the other two were busy devouring a sandwich ,cracking jokes and listening to folk music. Aren't Croatian hospitals fun or what?

Marshall Banana
04-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I've never been to an ER, and I will never go willingly! There's nothing I hate more than hospitals and needles; I'd destroy an entire nation of people, if it would get me out of a hospital trip.

I would.

Psychotic
04-07-2009, 02:42 PM
That sucks, hope you're feeling better soon.

I've had injuries that I probably could've gone to the emergency room with, namely cracking the back of my head open on multiple occasions (the one good thing about my impending baldness is that I will finally get to see what kind of scars I have under there!) but I preferred to stay at home. It would take a lot to make me go to one willingly.

Darkswordofchaos
04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Me and the ER ohh good times.

Lets see...

I went onec when i was a baby for severe dehydration cause i was sick puking and such.

I went another time as a small child for a severe asthma attack

when i was in like 5th grade i was riding my bike down a hill and this particular bike had messed up back brakes so i used the fron ones only this time i hit them to hard and flipped the bike and it just so happened that my street was at the bottom of the hill and i done a power slide down the road only problem was it was on my face. (it looks fantastic today though glad i didnt gat turned into 2-face)

In the summer over 6th grade i wrecked my dirtbike and shredded my leg up. They had to vigorusly scrub a wire brush (like you use on a grill) on my skin to get the gravel out. one of the most painfull things you will ever undergo. then they stiched it up.

in the ninth grade i rode my dirt bike down the road to my friends house and later on the way back an F-150 truck made an illegal left hand turn in front of me and smashed into me and sent me flying like a flying thing about 30 feet. That time was the worst, i had a severe concussion, a fractured eye socket, 3 broke ribs, a partially decompressed lung, and my leg had about an 8 inch gash all the way to the bone but it didnt hurt one bit cause i was unconciouss for the most part for 2 days :).

and about 2 weeks ago i cut my hand real bad on sum glass and had to get stiches in it that about raps it up

Freya
04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh wow you got hit by a truck. OUCH! How long did it take you to recover?

Darkswordofchaos
04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I was in the hospital for 9 days and i got to go home but i had to come back for sugery about a week later because when my eye socke bone broke a nerver and some muscle tissue went it then the bone came back together and it got pinched up making half of my face numb and giveing my 2x vision but the fixed it up and im all beter now:)

~*~Celes~*~
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Um, let's see. From the time I was born until I was maybe 3, I was a frequent sight in the ER because my stomach was collapsing and I was severely dehydrated and they couldn't figure out why. The doctor simply wrote "failure to thrive" on my charts and didn't know what was wrong with me. I'm not sure how but at some point I got better and the problem was simply lactose intolerance. I still have the problem, just that it's nowhere near that severe anymore *drinking a tall glass of chocolate milk right now*.

Next trip to the ER was when I was about 6. I used to live in a neighborhood with no girls my age so I always hung out with my big brother and his friends. They liked to climb trees, and so did I. Well, I got stuck in a tree that they had me climb, and I was really scared because it was kind of high up for someone as short as I was. Wesley told me to wait there while he went and tried to get his bike to prop up against the tree so i could climb back down and my big brother was running to get my mom for help, but I kept freaking out because i didn't want to fall out, so Ethan (Wesley's younger brother) told me to just jump out, so I did. I ended up spraining my ankle REALLY badly, and started screaming and crying cause it just hurt so bad =[ Wesley and Ethan tried to help me back to my house but my mom met them halfway and carried me into the house. Went to the ER, got it wrapped up, and I was okay.

I went to the ER again back in spring 2005 because on a band trip to Toronto, when we were getting off the bus to go to our next destination, I turned around as I was going down the bus stairs to talk to someone (lol brilliant me) when I misjudged where I was stepping and landed right on my ankle on the curb. I just kind of smiled and said "I'm okay..." and tried to stand up, but I couldn't. So then the pain sunk in and I was like "...ow..." and then it started to really hurt so I said it a little louder and a bunch of the chaperones and my band teacher ran over to me and helped me to a bench. Thankfully someone there had an ankle wrap and some asprin, so my band teacher wrapped my ankle, put my shoe back on over it, and gave me the asprin. Upside to that? I got a lot of free piggy back rides when we had to go places :D And when we went to see Wicked: The Musical, when I had to go to the bathroom and there was a huge line, all the ladies that were waiting let me go first because of my injury, and they even helped me to the stall :jess: Just goes to show that strangers can be very helpful and accommodating when you're in a time of need :D

Other than that my life has been off to the doctor's office at least once a year for strep throat. In fact, this year's appointment is today, and I have to leave in about an hour, so I'd better go get ready. I'm cursed :(

EDIT: The first ankle sprain was my left ankle, and the second was my right ankle. There was another event exactly 3 years after the second ankle sprain where I was getting out of my mom's van (15 passenger, higher off the ground than a normal van), and I landed...On the curb, on my ankle. Instantly my mom was like "OMGAWD ARE U OK" and I was just like "lulz i'm fine" and hobbled to my first class of the day, instantly told my band teacher about it for the lulz and he marveled at my lack of good fortune. Lasted almost the whole day before i decided I needed tylenol so called home and my big brother brought me tylenol. I was okay after that, no trip to the ER.

qwertysaur
04-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I've never been to an ER, and I will never go willingly! There's nothing I hate more than hospitals and needles; I'd destroy an entire nation of people, if it would get me out of a hospital trip.

I would.
What if it was a Strawberry Hospital? Injections are given through ingesting berries, and the staff all wear pink. :p

Madame Adequate
04-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah a couple times. When I was like 3 I fell off a slide and hit my head on the not-soft ground. Nothing wrong with my noggin, but it may have been when I got the cataract in my left eye. No idea how long I was there for.

When I was about 14 I punched in a window in a fury of blind rage and hate, which sliced my hand open fairly deeply. Just needed some stitches though. That one was about 3 1/2 hours in the ER.

Blue Harvest
04-08-2009, 11:39 AM
My earliest memory is cutting my head open (badly) and being rushed to the hospital. I still have a scar :D

Caraliz
04-08-2009, 01:18 PM
too many times to count

i remember one time i had peanuts at school and an ambulance came to get me and i got a big benadryl shot in the butt

another time it was the middle of the night and i couldn't breathe and i felt like i was going to die because i wouldn't stop throwing up and so i went to the er and they gave me something for the vomiting and morphine for the pain in my chest. i like morphine.

another time an ambulance came to get me after i od'd on sleeping pills. they cut my clothes off and apparently i was fighting the whole time cause i woke up with bruises. i was in a coma for 2 or so days. they said my kidney function almost failed. the charcoal taste was not pleasant when i woke up.

another time i was getting my tonsils out

another time i fell on my head when i was doing a flip after two girls put their hands together and you flip over their arms and i didn't quite flip and fell directly on my neck/head. i had to wear one of those collars for awhile :(

etc etc etc i don't remember all of them